Combustion Delaying

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Trustbucket

Combustion Delaying

Unread postby Trustbucket Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:04 am

So I'm going to go back to fire for a bit (I switch a lot between arcane and fire) and I haven't previously been in a guild with good kill times so I had always delayed combust for PBoI, which I prefer, and I am just curious as to which time ranges are worth delaying combust for PBoI and which aren't.

I would assume anything shorter than ~4m would be worth it to use combust on CD and in between ~4m and ~7.5m it would be worth it to delay just because of the number of combusts that you can get off. It seems as if it would only be worth to use on CD after 7.5m kill times for only around a minute, in which case it would go back to being better to delay.

If anyone has the exact values of when its better to delay or not to delay I would appreciate it as I haven't played fire in this new guild and want to iron out these details since it is the only aspect of fire I am unsure about. Ideally theory crafting would be ideal and not just speculation, even though the numbers are not finite because of how combustion works and having the right procs is not always possible to be able to use combustion right on cooldown.
Figdan

Re: Combustion Delaying

Unread postby Figdan Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:40 pm

you can find a discussion about this here
http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=264
Trustbucket

Unread postby Trustbucket Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Yeah that's a completely different topic they discussed and they just mentioned the 400-500 second range which is an uncommon kill time. I'm not looking for how to set up a combustion I do that completely optimal all I'm asking about is the times where it would be optimal to delay and which times it isn't.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 pm

400-500 seconds is the only timeframe where you would possibly *not* delay combustion.

Other than that, it's pretty obvious: If the boss is going to die before your PBOI comes up, you combust now, else you delay it.
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
Trustbucket

Unread postby Trustbucket Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:30 pm

400-500 seconds is the only timeframe where you would possibly *not* delay combustion.

Other than that, it's pretty obvious: If the boss is going to die before your PBOI comes up, you combust now, else you delay it.
Obviously but there are times just after 3 minutes until around 3:45 where you would get three off by using on CD both times and not delaying the second combust (which is a very common kill time range). I was just inquiring if anyone had theory crafting about which times are a dps bonus to delay or not to delay.

Delaying combust for my current spell power levels, I have 51124 static SP and with immerseus I have 69945 SP, it is only a 36.8% increase in spell power (and slightly boosted crit which makes it slightly more of an increase) to delay. In the times I showed earlier, you get 2 other combustions off outside of the opener where delaying would give you one. For delaying to be more useful it would need to be a 100% increase from not delaying to be worth it. Obviously delaying is usually going to be better because it is around a 37% increase for delaying a cooldown 28%. The case I described is obvious too but I'm asking if there are other time frames like that where its more worth it to not delay.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:15 pm

Oh I see what you mean.

On a 250+ second fight, you will practically always want to delay, because by delaying a 250+ sec fight, it means you will get PBOI in your second alter time, making both your second and 3rd combustions a lot bigger, while also giving you a much bigger pyro spam during second alter time.

The scenario from the one around ~180-200 seconds, only happens again at 270 seconds, you have 1 less combustion by delaying on a 270 second fight, however:

- We gain 2 stronger combustions
- We gain a second alter time with PBOI, meaning ~6-8 pyros with the bonus SP & crit.

So, as you said, sub 200 second fights, don't delay. Anything after that though, do delay. Quicl look up table of combustion/pboi timings: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D-0 ... ilGKwM1Kmg" target="_blank
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
trololololololol

Unread postby trololololololol Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:59 am

Ofc you delay combust on a <180-200 second fight to line up with second immerseus proc.

Return to “Fire”