Optimizing Fire dps multi-target

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Wilderness

Optimizing Fire dps multi-target

Unread postby Wilderness Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:15 am

To be clear, when I say optimizing dps I mean for farm content, where you are just trying for better parses, not progression where mechanics and dps'ing the right things at the right times are the priority.

After playing Arcane for a little while I went back to Fire last week and I've been browsing the highest ranked Fire logs on multi-target fights like Protectors/Galakras/Shamans/Spoils/Paragons. To my surprise, most of those rankings were using LB rather NT. Maybe its just because I was playing Arcane for a while, but isn't multi-dotting with NT and keeping it up on multiple mobs better for Fire dps as well, particularly on fights like Protectors/Shamans/Paragons where you have 2-3 targets up for longer periods of time (relative to trash-like mobs on Spoils/Galakras) that are stacked?

I did notice that while trying to multi-dot on some of those fights this past week as Fire I couldn't keep up my 2 piece stacks well at all. Some was definitely bad play because I am still getting used to Fire, but a lot was because I was focused on multi-dotting and that looks like something I was doing wrong as I look through those logs.

So, on the 2 main types of multi-target fights that we have in SoO (2-3 targets stacked for longer periods of time ala Proctectors, and trash-like mobs that come in waves/groups like Spoils/Galakras) what's the best approach to dps? Multi-dot? Just try to spread around HS Pyro's for the dot but mostly focus on single-target and hope/pray for good trinket procs and strong combustions? I know the Pyro dot is pretty strong, but if you are firing off a Pyro onto a target without a bomb it'll be 10% less strong since Pyromaniac won't be on it. Maybe I just need to get a lot better at managing my 2 piece while multi-dotting, I'm just not sure what I should be focusing on in these types of fights.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Komma
Administrator

Re: Optimizing Fire dps multi-target

Unread postby Komma Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:08 am

Haven't looked at top multitarget fire spec parses yet.

If I were to make a guess on why they run LB instead of NT, I would say it's because top parses right now are all heavy mastery builds with really strong cleaving, but in the process they sacrifice haste. This means that the default GCD on NT is still quite a bit higher than LB. In a scenario where your goal is to roll an ignite on one target quickly, before it dies, and cleave it to neighboring targets, LB could be the better option. The same problem shows when you consider keeping 2T16 stacks - LB's 1 second GCD makes it easier to handle than NT.

I don't think I've seen much serious discussion on how to optimize multitarget damage for fire specs. If folks aren't too burnt out from SoO already, I guess we might as well start here.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Re: Optimizing Fire dps multi-target

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:30 am

I've been running LB on all bosses for a while now. As you said, the slow GCD from NT compared to LB is a big thing, since you get less time to build and spread ignites with NT. Also, very low haste builds have a fairly bit lower DPET on bombs, making which bomb you use less important.

Also, living bomb's explosion deals AoE damage whereas NT doesn't, so on fights like TFP, if you push all 3 bosses at once, LB is achieving almost the same damage as NT with only 3 globals, whereas with NT you need way more than 3 globals. (and the globals are longer)
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!

Return to “Fire”