Fire mage Mythic+ and Mastery

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Jay982

Fire mage Mythic+ and Mastery

Unread postby Jay982 Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:53 pm

Hey guys, Does anyone know why alot of Fire mages in M+ are taking 30%+ mastery even on their ST gear? Enchants are all mastery and gems, Sims seem to put haste ahead on ST and AoE so I'm at a loss, I've tried looking in guides and have had a quick look on the forums but couldn't see any explaination.
Hoping someone can shed some light.

Thanks.
Digidro

Re: Fire mage Mythic+ and Mastery

Unread postby Digidro Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:35 am

At first, dont look at a fire mage as a single target spec.
Matery gets very strong when there is a second target even for a short period of time.
And because m+ are a lot about fast trash clearence, mastery becomes the prior stat.

I would recomend you simming for 2 targets as a fire mage too.
Lahrast

Unread postby Lahrast Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:52 am

really depents and imho the advice is not correct.
if you're playing LB you go for mastery > crit=vers=haste for trash
if you're playing FP you go for haste >> crit =mastery=vers for trash
on bossfights it again depends on your spec but in general kindling gives you more combusts for trash and also generally one more per boss so..go with that, bracer and ring or depending on the tw situation belt. gearing wise you're looking for roughly 55% crit, 25% haste, rest into mastery. firemage really shines when you can nuke the boss and another add spawns (coen 1st, 3rd boss, spider in aw, nel 1st, 3rd and 4th boss etc.) your dps will go wild, that's where firemages truly shine because you don't need to switch, especially when you time your combustion right.

personally i go for sephuz&belt for trash on non fort, sephuz&gloves in fort weeks with FP, kindling for trash; bracer&ring (or depending on boss/tyrannical bracer+chest for surv). i'm doing usually 15-20 keys and that's what kinda feels right for me, giving me between 1,4 and 2m dps overall usually, depending on affixes and dungeons ofc.

quick sidenote: you try not to go above 30% haste with that build, you tend to go oom (yes... thats a thing again) in long fights, especially when you don't start out with 100% mana because of spellsteals or so (sephuz FS spam can also drain you REALLY fast with stolen hastebuffs etc.), it's also wat simc tells me atm... >30% haste with TW ring = bad, you're losing about 25% mana per combustion while being mana neutral during combust downtimes :/
ezekielyo

Unread postby ezekielyo Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:23 am

All this info is in the compendium.

Like Lahrast said, you can either use a haste heavy build for Flame patch (pure aoe) or a more ST oriented build with LvB (Priority Target). The difference being that flamepatch stacking is the damage source vs spreading a big ignite.

For bosses we used to run a haste/vers build for pure ST and mastery heavy for 2+ target with PT. This will all change around now in the coming weeks due to antorus release though.
Jay982

Unread postby Jay982 Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 pm

Ok thanks guys, I was just a bit confused because I was looking at some top mythic+ teams and found few fire mages and its looked like they were in their "ST" gear set with all enchants mastery including neck and running around 33% mastery, with flame patch but this was a few weeks ago and i think they are frost this week. So it was just the case of wondering why they were doing that.

Return to “Fire”