I feel underperforming, any hints?

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Xal

I feel underperforming, any hints?

Unread postby Xal Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Hello everyone, i've just registered to this site because i rolled mage and now i feel like i have a problem.

First of all i've been playing mage for a month, i still don't know if fire is the spec i want to go with, anyway, i started gearing up a bit and now i find myself being underperforming , i link a log to you (Argus-NM) and i would appreciate really much if you mind helping me.

PS. Sorry for bad english.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Ja ... source=193

Ty everyone
Teklyf

Re: I feel underperforming, any hints?

Unread postby Teklyf Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Just a quick look at the damage done on targets. Are you attacking the fire sensitive Constellar Designate. The other fire mage has 117M on you there.
Xal

Unread postby Xal Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Mmm..I think i was, it wasn't enough dmg? As i said i'm pretty new and i merely do the single target rotation well
Rhennthyl

Unread postby Rhennthyl Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:32 am

A few things stand out to me.

First, your legendary choice. The shard ring is best on encounters where you use time warp at the beginning and it can be used multiple times, like Varimathras. However, it isn't great on encounters like Argus, where you use time warp at the end of the encounter. I'd recommend using Koralon's (the fire mage belt that changes Scorch into an execute) for that encounter, as it will give you the full value of the legendary, as well as helping you dodge the falling Embers of Rage and increasing your movement speed so that you can get to the Reorigination Modules faster. You, or someone else, could have time warped again in phase 4, which would have given you more value from the shard.

Second, your talent choice. For me, Meteor is currently simming higher than Kindling by approximately 11k dps, and our stats are roughly the same. I don't think that Kindling is worth taking until you have the T21 4piece bonus, honestly.

Third, both of your trinkets are on-use. It's best to have one or no on-use trinkets, as you can't use two on-use trinkets at the same time. Check here for current trinket rankings.

Fourth, don't use Combustion on pull if you're using the Firestarter talent. By using Combustion on pull, you're negating any value that you'd get from Firestarter while Combustion is active. You should be opening with pre-pot+pyroblast+fireblast -> pyroblast -> phoenix flames -> fireball + pyroblast chains, repeat the chains until you get a bracers proc. If you get a bracers proc around 90% to 91% of the boss's health, begin casting pyroblast, and use combustion near the end of the pyroblast cast, followed up by a trinket and any other cooldowns that you have available.

Finally, make sure that you're using your in-combat potions! You can use at least 3 potions during the Argus fight, so make sure that you're using your additional potion in the first few phases (I like to save mine for the start of phase 3, when you're getting that delicious 100% fire damage increase on the fire-marked Designate), and then another in the last phase, after you're resurrected by the tree.

Let me know if you have any questions!

A quick aside on the Constellar Designates - each Designate gets assigned a debuff that increases the damage it takes from a specific damage type. The debuffs get applied to the same Constellar Designate each time. Make sure you're attacking the one that gets the fire debuff, as it will take double the damage from your spells. The image below, from the Wowhead Argus guide, shows which Constellar Designate gets marked with which debuff:

Xal

Unread postby Xal Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:44 pm

Wow Rhennthyl thank you very much for the complete answer, i'll try to use all your hints for the next fights, you're right about everything and i didn't even know about the fire designates. Thank you again !

PS. unfortunately i'll keep using the combo Bracers+Ring since i still don't have the belt ..

Return to “Fire”