help me be a better mage

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
elaster

help me be a better mage

Unread postby elaster Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Hello fellow mages,
I am a recently returning player and have started on antorus normal. Compared to the guild I run with my ilvl is about on par but my dps seems rather low at least single target. I am unsure if this is because I do not have the right legendaries (only have two) or if I am running my rotation wrong so I figured I would ask the community here.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... ar/elaster my armoury link

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wy ... fficulty=0 latest antorus log
Rez

Re: help me be a better mage

Unread postby Rez Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:45 am

1. Change your tier 15 talent to Firestarter. Your opener should be prepot at 4 secs, Pyroblast, Phoenix Flames, Pyroblast, Fireblast, Pyroblast, Fireball, Pyroblast, Fireball, Pyroblast...
2. Wait until 91% to pop combustion (make sure to have all 3 Fireblasts and Phoenix Flames for the duration).
3. Use Potion of Prolonged Power over Deadly Grace.
4. Make sure you have the strongest enchants available. +150 stat > +200 stat
5. Do your best to farm another legendary other then Insignia of the Grand Army. Pray its the bracers or belt.
6. Get another trinket other then the alchemist stone. It's bad. Save up for a 910 trinket from Argus vendor.
7. Always be casting and try to minimize movement by only moving with shimmer.
8. You crit with 17 direct damage abilities while Hot Streak was active. This is a waste since those crits could have contibuted towards your next Hot Streak. Try to use your procs as soon as possible to avoid this. Ideally you want to cast Fireball (it crits) > Fireblast > Pyro, then quickly cast fireball again and continue the chain.
9. For your purposes, if you don't have any Fireblasts or Phoenix Flames left during Combustion, use Scorch as a filler spell. Scorch > Fireblast > Pyroblast or Scorch > Scorch > Pyroblast.
creepercat

Unread postby creepercat Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:30 pm

1. Change your tier 15 talent to Firestarter. Your opener should be prepot at 4 secs, Pyroblast, Phoenix Flames, Pyroblast, Fireblast, Pyroblast, Fireball, Pyroblast, Fireball, Pyroblast...
2. Wait until 91% to pop combustion (make sure to have all 3 Fireblasts and Phoenix Flames for the duration).
3. Use Potion of Prolonged Power over Deadly Grace.
4. Make sure you have the strongest enchants available. +150 stat > +200 stat
5. Do your best to farm another legendary other then Insignia of the Grand Army. Pray its the bracers or belt.
6. Get another trinket other then the alchemist stone. It's bad. Save up for a 910 trinket from Argus vendor.
7. Always be casting and try to minimize movement by only moving with shimmer.
8. You crit with 17 direct damage abilities while Hot Streak was active. This is a waste since those crits could have contibuted towards your next Hot Streak. Try to use your procs as soon as possible to avoid this. Ideally you want to cast Fireball (it crits) > Fireblast > Pyro, then quickly cast fireball again and continue the chain.
9. For your purposes, if you don't have any Fireblasts or Phoenix Flames left during Combustion, use Scorch as a filler spell. Scorch > Fireblast > Pyroblast or Scorch > Scorch > Pyroblast.
Gonna highjack the thread to ask a question:
If I get a bracer proc during Combustion, do I ignore it or do I try to use it?
Araitik

Unread postby Araitik Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:42 pm

Always use the proc if you have time to finish the cast before Combustion ends. The damage is insane.
creepercat

Unread postby creepercat Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Always use the proc if you have time to finish the cast before Combustion ends. The damage is insane.
Do I still cast Pyroblast if I won't be able to finish it in Combustion window?
Rez

Unread postby Rez Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Depending on your haste, if Combustion has less then 4 seconds or so, do not cast Pyroblast. Continue with your normal Combustion rotation and just use it right after Combustion ends. The only way to get better at judging the time is experience. I recommend sitting in front of a target dummy and practicing.
creepercat

Unread postby creepercat Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Depending on your haste, if Combustion has less then 4 seconds or so, do not cast Pyroblast. Continue with your normal Combustion rotation and just use it right after Combustion ends. The only way to get better at judging the time is experience. I recommend sitting in front of a target dummy and practicing.
Thanks a bunch guys!
elaster

Unread postby elaster Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:57 pm

thanks guys

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”