Desperate mage asking for help

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Anthorien

Desperate mage asking for help

Unread postby Anthorien Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:55 am

Greetings.

I am Anthorien, a fire mage from Los Errantes (EU/Spanish). I have been working on my mage very hard but something seems to be very wrong. I keep being expelled from raids and groups because of my low DPS, and honestly after reading lots and lots of forums, I simply don't know what to do.

My iLvl is 962 at the moment. I have upgraded my legendary artifact to level 77 (iLvl 979) with a 950 gem socketed in each slot. I have selected all the traits from the nether crucible... and yet... always be 14th in a 2/4/14 raid. :(

My stats are 46% crit / 26% haste / 32% mastery / 2% versatility and 7% avoidance.

I am also a fully upgraded enchanter, so I have greaten enchantments in all the available gear... and greater gems in each available gem slot too.

Is there anyone that could please help me?

Help me ObiWan, you are my only hope...

Anthorien.
Kombustion

Re: Desperate mage asking for help

Unread postby Kombustion Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Do you have best legendary (aka shard and wrist)?
Do you have 4pc t21 + acrid trinket?
Which talents are you using?
Anthorien

Unread postby Anthorien Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:30 pm

Do you have best legendary (aka shard and wrist)?
Do you have 4pc t21 + acrid trinket?
Which talents are you using?
I am using the Insignia of the Grand Army and Kil'Jaeden Burning Wish as legendaries. I use the first because of the 23% increase on trait effects by the nether crucible, and the second because of the increase on Mastery and the damage it deals on groups as AOE.

I have not yet got any T21 piece because I keep being discarded from raids because of my low dps :(... My other trinket is the Norganon's Prowess which I have been able to upgrade to lvl 960 (got from normal Antorus raid)

My talents are:
T15- Conflagration
T30- Shimmer
T45- Incanter's Flow
T60- Flame On
T75- Frenetic Speed
T90- Unstable Magic
T100- Kindling

My armory profile is: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... /anthorien

Thanks for your help!
Shayande

Unread postby Shayande Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Hello there Anthorien!

I spent some time looking through your logs to see what you are actually doing in those raid encounters.

What I found is that you have a problem with how the base mechanics of the spec work, namely when to use fire blast and phoenix flames, but mainly what to do during combustion windows. I strongly recommend that you read the guides on this forum on what to do once combustion is up, because you are severely underperforming in most of the cases. You tend to waste fire blasts on already active hot streak procs, use phoenix flames in a total random and wasteful manner. You also need to work on your activity because you have huge gaps inbetween your casts, essentially losing dps while doing literally nothing. Fire is incredibly mobile, has many instants there should be always something to cast if you are moving. Make sure you do!

I dont know what legendaries you have, but these are really not the ones you need. Again, study the guides, it is all written there, you will find plenty of information on this topic.

But even if you dont change anything on your gear but make fewer mistakes in your gameplay, you should see a significant increase. Stat-wise i would go with more crit and less mastery, and it is even going to be a bit easier to play the spec with more crit. And you should definitely use Norgannon trinket instead of either the legendary one if you have a better legendary to equip, or the other trinket if you dont.

I also strongly advise you to practice the rotation and cooldown usage on target dummies A LOT, that will help you memorize them better and you will get more comfortable with the flow of the spec overall.

Good luck and dont give up!
gatomon_ca

Unread postby gatomon_ca Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:40 am

As the above poster said. Your main issue is your rotation. Looking at your Feb 8 log on Gorothi. Your rotation is all over the place....

Your main filler is Fire ball. When you crit, you get heating up. Once you have heating up, you want to convert that to a hot streak for instant pyro. So as your "Heating up" proc is up, que up a 2nd fire ball --> cast fire blast then launch instant pyro as that 2nd fire ball cast ends. This will have your instant pyro and the 2nd fireball land at the same time. In your logs you have places where you already have hot streak but instead of instant pyro, you are casting like phoenix flames or fire blast.

If you aren't gonna use fire starter, you combustion on pull. the purpose is you want to get your combustion cooldown as fast as possible for another, especially if you are using kindling.

If I were you, I would do LFR and use it as a chance to practice your rotation. As well as, get the 915 version of the t21. With no tier pieces is a big dps loss. Along with now you can farm essence everyday, you should get better leggos.

I would suggest watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFwPrFH ... qw&index=1

Return to “Fire”