Ignite vs Multistrike

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Fleks

Ignite vs Multistrike

Unread postby Fleks Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:46 am

Well,as it seems a non critical Multistrike can slightly decrease our Ignite,i just did a bit testing with only 1Fireball to see how it interacts,will do some further testing tomorrow how it is in the full opener-Screenshots below with basic Ignite,one that got pushed by the crit from Multistrike,one that got decreased-gonna be some real rng with Multistrike in WoD :(?

http://imgur.com/a/Xv3ZS" target="_blank
Hotpots

Re: Ignite vs Multistrike

Unread postby Hotpots Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:58 am

A great find! Now to tell warlocks not to buff us and swap to BBoY
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:13 am

Well,as it seems a non critical Multistrike can slightly decrease our Ignite,i just did a bit testing with only 1Fireball to see how it interacts,will do some further testing tomorrow how it is in the full opener-Screenshots below with basic Ignite,one that got pushed by the crit from Multistrike,one that got decreased-gonna be some real rng with Multistrike in WoD :(?

http://imgur.com/a/Xv3ZS" target="_blank
Even a crit MS can deflate ignite tick values - it all depends on when they impact and the time till next tick remaining when the MS origin spell impacts. I'm not sure what you are trying to say here? This has been pretty common knowledge from the moment they announced MS procing ignite, and the minor delays in MS impacts following origin spell impacts.
Fleks

Unread postby Fleks Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:28 am

never had a bad impact on ignite with a crit multistrike with decent latency,not once-just pointing out how much rng its gonna be.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:35 am

That's really not how it works. It's entirely dependent upon when your primary spell hits vs. time till next ignite tick. You can have a non-crit MS tick lead to a higher ignite tick value - if your MS procing spell impacted early enough for the MS impact to occur before a tick occurs.
Fleks

Unread postby Fleks Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:49 am

only talking about testing with 1spellhit(so there is no "time till next ignite tick"),full opener testing will follow today,then the time between spellhit and ignite tick will/can make a difference
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:54 am

only talking about testing with 1spellhit(so there is no "time till next ignite tick"),full opener testing will follow today,then the time between spellhit and ignite tick will/can make a difference
There isn't much reason to care about any of that anyway, with the 1 second ignite ticks. There's no control over the millsecond windows that you multistrike in - it's not realistic to control your fireball to land 134 ms earlier or later for such a purpose. This means that there's nothing that you'll do differently anyway, and there's no reason to experiment with it in detail unless you're just trying to understand the details of the mechanic.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Fleks

Unread postby Fleks Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:58 am

wont do anything out of it,just curious about the mechanic/rng of Ms and kinda bored while the Patch is around-so nothing special,just wanted to share it anyways
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:29 am

Multistrikes so far have only impacted my ignite neutrally or positively.

Only casting one ability may impact it negatively, but that's because of only having used one spell for that ignite.

MS rng is critical to good combustions though, sadly ;/
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
Hotpots

Unread postby Hotpots Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Cool, thanks for the explanation, was confused myself.
Nebi

Unread postby Nebi Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:23 pm

I am new to fire mage and wondering what ignite value I should be looking for when opening burst with hero.
I am 584 with 4pc and 56.39% crit unbuffed. not had a chance to raid so any information would be helpful or maybe a link to a post I have missed.

P.S. Sorry for taking this thread off topic didnt think this question was worth a new thread.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:37 pm

Multistrikes so far have only impacted my ignite neutrally or positively.

Only casting one ability may impact it negatively, but that's because of only having used one spell for that ignite.

MS rng is critical to good combustions though, sadly ;/
Kinda depends on what we're talking about when you say "ignite."

Any MS will positively effect your Ignite Bank - after all, it's just adding to what exists at the time of MS impact. However, it can lower your Ignite Tick.

Let's say you have an ignite back of 600, and there are 6 ticks of ignite rolling for 100 each. Two ticks go by, then a fireball nlands when there is 0.1s remaining until the next ignite tick, say the fireball did 400 mastery dmg. Ignite refreshes, for a total bank of 600 - 200 + 400 = 800 / 6 ~= 133 ignite size. That fireball proc'd a MS though - which lands ~.3s after the fireball (cause that's how it works) - just enough time for the next ignite tick to happen. So ignite ticks for 133, then MS lands for 120 right after, refreshing ignite again. Ignite bank is now 800 - 133 + 120 = 787. / 6 = 131 tick size. That MS just deflated your tick value!

It's more exaggerated of a deflation when you're in the middle of a string of pyros (or you land a meteor and then a pyro and the pyro MS refreshes after a meteor enlarged tick occurs).

Return to “Fire”