New fire mage, Why is my raid dps so bad?

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
kachikins

New fire mage, Why is my raid dps so bad?

Unread postby kachikins Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi, new to mage... I am really enjoying fire mage. It's fun as heck!! I've added my most recent raid logs and a link to my armory... I have read the online guides and I am still really struggling in mythic+ and raids to keep up on dps. Any help is appreciated.

Wow logs for Kachikins (Goblin fire mage)
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QPr1VkBgtcMTafWL/

Armory:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... /Kachikins

Thanks mages!
Devlonir

Re: New fire mage, Why is my raid dps so bad?

Unread postby Devlonir Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:43 am

A few very quick tips (i used heroic taloc to get an idea):

Talents: Do not use Mirror Image, it is our worst talent. For new players I always advice Incanter's Flow as it means you have less to manage and it still does great damage. Once you can do the spec in your sleep and know the fights good enough to know when to use them, consider going Rune of Power.

Second, make sure to use Meteor whenever it is available off cooldown. I see 2 casts in a 6 minute fight. The talent is a waste if you don't use it. Another option is to go Pyrclasm, you seem to have enough crit to get the procs more often so it may actually be the better option for you.

Speaking of talent use: I also see a lot of fireball damage in the 2nd half of the Taloc fight and only very few scorch casts. You should stop using fireball on any enemy below 30% and just replace fireball with scorch in your rotation because you are using Searing Touch. You will be a lot more mobile and your damage will go up hard. Without doing that, you are again losing the value of the talent entirely.

For comparison, check my Taloc Heroic of last week's farm clear: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/3M ... pe=summary (Perlin is my man)

You see I literally stop using fireballs at all. You also see a huge difference in amount of pyroblast casts. This could come from not using hot streak efficiently or not doing hot streak fishing well enough, or simply because you don't use the searing touch talent well.

So to say it short: Use Incanter's flow, consider going Pyroclasm and make sure to actually use Searing Touch. Those are my basic advices.
kachikins

Unread postby kachikins Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:32 am

Devlonir, that is excellent info! I will most definitely take you're advice.
TLTeo

Unread postby TLTeo Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:10 pm

You should also look up how to optimize your Combustion use (which to be fair is not a straightforward cooldown to use). In the first Combustion of your Mother kill for example you hold on to Meteor until Combustion has expired, when instead you should Meteor >wait for the GCD to be almost over > cast Combustion. Meteor contributes to Ignite so casting it at the start of Combustion makes for a larger Ignite in that window.
In the same way, you cast a Fireball during your second Combustion on that fight which is a big nono.
kachikins

Unread postby kachikins Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:30 am

TLTeo, after reading your post I am seeing myself making those same mistakes when I get nervous, lol... Ty for pointing that out, I'm trying to remember to switch to scorch during combustion if I run out of fire blasts. I can feel the difference for sure!

Return to “Fire”