Managing HS/HU procs with travel time

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Komma
Administrator

Managing HS/HU procs with travel time

Unread postby Komma Sat May 31, 2014 6:45 pm

One problem I run into while playing my fire is that trying to pyro camp when I'm 30-40 yards away from the boss with haste buffs like bloodlust and meta procs. It feels like the spell always lands the moment I need to choose whether to do Fireball+Pyro or keep camping for HU. Everytime I choose to keep fireballing and can't react instantly to a crit, I end up munching a Pyro proc. Or sometimes I'd fire off a Pyro and end up without double crits, which means I need to build up a Pyro proc from scratch using IB again. It gets really bad all the haste buffs are running and you finish the next fireball cast before the current one reaches the boss.

Munching a Pyro proc is the worst feeling in the world, but sometimes the travel time makes it hard to react to. How do you guys manage to avoid it?

And then there's also the case where you're casting a Fireball with both HS/HU up, but the bomb is about to expire. If you don't fire off a Pyro, you might end up munching a proc. If you do fire it off though, you'll lose out on the chance to early refresh LB, and lose bomb uptime. What's the right thing to do?
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Re: Managing HS/HU procs with travel time

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sat May 31, 2014 7:05 pm

About your first issue, the best thing to do IMO is just move closer to the boss while casting instants. Having 1.0 seconds fireballs while having 90% crit and being far away from the is just a pain to deal with. If it's not possible to get closer, just pyro any time you have HU+pyro! proc, don't gamble with timing your fireball casts at the exact same time if you're not 100% sure you won't munch a pyro.

Your second point, pyro > refresh LB. Munching a pyro (which is like 80%+ chance in high gear in that scenario) is much worse than losing 1 tick of LB.
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
Nikodemus

Unread postby Nikodemus Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:03 am

One more thing that someone suggested a good while ago and at least to me it felt like it helped a little bit: If you set up a different sound cue for crits/non-crits using for example weak auras, it feels like that information reaches you faster than the visual cues. Nothing beats moving closer to the boss though.
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:01 pm

One more thing that someone suggested a good while ago and at least to me it felt like it helped a little bit: If you set up a different sound cue for crits/non-crits using for example weak auras, it feels like that information reaches you faster than the visual cues. Nothing beats moving closer to the boss though.
I've heard this before but I refuse to play with sound cues. I hate the idea itself :/
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

I solve problems. Have a problem? Send me a PM!
Figdan

Unread postby Figdan Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:50 pm

we had a guildie who wrote his thesis on this actually. he had some volunteers turn sound off completely, with the exception of teamspeak, and compared their performance to normal nights. sound queues are much more effective than visual queues.

i agree though, having an extra sound every time you crit is pretty unappealing.

Return to “Fire”