[Advanced][ilvl 540-582] Visual Frost Guide 5.4

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Komma
Administrator

Re: [Advanced][ilvl 540-582] Visual Frost Guide 5.4

Unread postby Komma Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:36 pm

So I have 14253 haste without buff, but doing lfr with Haste buff and was only in 42% haste. Robot says 50.03 with the buff. What am I missing and why am I not at 50% like I should be?
14242 provides 50% only if the spell haste buff is provided. You probably didn't have a shadow priest/moonkin/elemental shaman/hunter with a sporebat in your raid.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
NytemareRulez

Unread postby NytemareRulez Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 am

So I have 14253 haste without buff, but doing lfr with Haste buff and was only in 42% haste. Robot says 50.03 with the buff. What am I missing and why am I not at 50% like I should be?
14242 provides 50% only if the spell haste buff is provided. You probably didn't have a shadow priest/moonkin/elemental shaman/hunter with a sporebat in your raid.
No I have that, was missing Frost Armor - some how it fell off which is strangle as it was on the other day and I didn't change talents or glyphs

Now my LB at 2 sec per tick - so anytime under 2 sec left I can refresh it for the explode part right?
sunblaze

Unread postby sunblaze Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:26 am

Hi Guys! I have been wondering lately. If at any point NT is actually better than LB even on single target. At this moment im past the 14k haste breakpoint, and can make 15k ish that i think would give me 19th tick for NT. Should i reach that and use mostly NT or stick to LB and start to stack mastery (i can not get to 18k haste).
durrtygoodz

Unread postby durrtygoodz Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:28 am

Nope never
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:53 am

At 200% haste.
Insoluble

Unread postby Insoluble Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:14 pm

So the haste build is all about stacking as much haste as possible, going over mastery?
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:33 pm

So the haste build is all about stacking as much haste as possible, going over mastery?
It's as described in the guide. You go for a breakpoint but until you can reach the next breakpoint you optimize for mastery.

I.e.:
- If you can reach 12684 only, keep stacking haste up to 14242, then put excess stats into mastery until...
- ... you can eventually get to 19347, go there and put excess stats into mastery if and only-if you enjoy and can tolerate this playstyle

-*- Consider staying at 14242 for maximum single target potential.
-*- Consider staying at 19347 for maximum multi target potential.

And no matter what you choose, please realize your haste/mastery combination accounts for at most a few % DPS difference, which means this is more of a novelty and fun to analyze-- not a serious impact on your DPS. None of this crap comes remotely close to the importance of your uptimes, how well you remember your ABCs, and external/raidcomp/etc factors.
Tiaitchsi

Unread postby Tiaitchsi Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi, I'm a 539 Frost Mage trying to grasp what path to take in this crossroad.
I'm reaching about 175-200k ST DPS, but I'm wondering if the Mastery build would do me better than my current setup.

I'm reaching 9906 Haste (w/o Spell Haste buff) and should then according to this guide use the Mastery build.
Here's a link to my armory.

I would appreciate any sort of guidance you could aid me with.

Kind regards.
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:38 am

For 539 I'd just go to 9577 haste for Living Bomb then toss the rest into Mastery.

Once you upgrade enough stuff to get to 12684, go back to maxing out your haste. Max haste onward until you reach 14242 as you upgrade more gear, then above 14242 go back to mastery.

Once you can reach 19347, it's optional to go to this haste breakpoint, with some minor tradeoffs for an increased pace and different playstyle. At no point is it advisable to go above 19347 haste, but there is another fun breakpoint at 28406 where things really get wild, but it's a definitive DPS loss to go that far and is only for fun/lulz.

All that make sense?
flameburn

Unread postby flameburn Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm reaching about 175-200k ST DPS, but I'm wondering if the Mastery build would do me better than my current setup.

I'm reaching 9906 Haste (w/o Spell Haste buff) and should then according to this guide use the Mastery build.

Kind regards.
How the hell do you pull that much dps with lower gear?

I am now 562 and in heroic raids stay below Retri palas, arcane mages, warlocks, while doing 180-200k dps...

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/usercalendar/28040" target="_blank
Crabmodem

Unread postby Crabmodem Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:12 pm

Kind regards.
How the hell do you pull that much dps with lower gear?

I am now 562 and in heroic raids stay below Retri palas, arcane mages, warlocks, while doing 180-200k dps...

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/usercalendar/28040" target="_blank
Are you clicking or keybinding? I'm pulling more than 230k DPS on fights with movements and more than 250 when i can stand still. I also burst for 650K on single target fights. That is in 558 gear with most of my spells bound to my mouse.
Crabmodem

Unread postby Crabmodem Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:20 pm

also a link to your armory would help
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Please try to keep questions about helping individuals to the Post Questions Here Forum

General guide or class questions are for this thread, i.e. explaining how haste breakpoints work and when to do what. Individual help or parse analysis should be in the aforementioned forum.

Thanks!
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:15 pm

Anyone asking for help needs to read the above post - if I see someone asking for help on this thread I will relocate your post to the correct forum. So if you're wondering where it went, check there.

Please do your part to keep things tidy. Questions on this guide need to be about frost theory, stat stuff, and general questions. "Plz Help me" belongs in the forum dedicated to that with an army of helpful mages waiting to assist you with your personal DPS questions!
Magictheo

Unread postby Magictheo Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:21 am

Hello!

In the guide we have amr values for haste, mastery and crit. So, what weight has int and spellpower here?

Hope this will help me for choose my gear.

Thanks a lot...
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Just default, no need to change those :)
Tiaitchsi

Unread postby Tiaitchsi Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:21 am

Hi. Thanks for your previous responses.
I now have a question regarding refreshing living bomb.

If Tempus Repit/KTT/PBoI procs, is it should you refresh living bomb or let it tick out?
I'm guessing always refresh when Tempus Repit procs, but what about the other two?
Also, I've heard people saying that refreshing living bomb before the final tick increases your dps, if you refresh it just after the 2nd last tick.

EDIT: Why is tier hands preferred over shoulders? They give the same stats, only that shoulders grant more of them.
Considering my current gear, should I go for flex shoulders or hands?
Also, is this a good macro?

Code: Select all

#showtooltip Alter Time /use Potion of the Jade Serpent /cast Mirror Image /cast Icy Veins /cast Berserking /cast Alter Time
Thanks in advance.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:00 am

If Tempus Repit/KTT/PBoI procs, is it should you refresh living bomb or let it tick out?
I'm guessing always refresh when Tempus Repit procs, but what about the other two?
Also, I've heard people saying that refreshing living bomb before the final tick increases your dps, if you refresh it just after the 2nd last tick.

EDIT: Why is tier hands preferred over shoulders? They give the same stats, only that shoulders grant more of them.

#showtooltip Alter Time /use Potion of the Jade Serpent /cast Mirror Image /cast Icy Veins /cast Berserking /cast Alter Time
Thanks in advance.
Just wanna say the Mirror Image is not off the GCD, so you'd probably end up having to press it at least twice.
And Akraen has this thing about macro-ing Icy Veins and Alter Time together. :D

IMHO, try not to macro too many things together. It might seem convenient, but you do lose the versatility of using them separately.
Tiaitchsi

Unread postby Tiaitchsi Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:42 am

Thanks in advance.
Just wanna say the Mirror Image is not off the GCD, so you'd probably end up having to press it at least twice.
And Akraen has this thing about macro-ing Icy Veins and Alter Time together. :D

IMHO, try not to macro too many things together. It might seem convenient, but you do lose the versatility of using them separately.
The macro does work just fine, though. Also, I don't understand why some people prefer to use alter time when there's 6 secs left of icy veins, instead of just at the start. You still extend the duration by 6 seconds, no matter what. So, I usually use that macro whenever Tempus Repit procs.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:54 am

Wouldn't this macro waste 1 GCD of potion, IV, AT and Zerking casting Mirror Images?

And from my understanding, desyncing IV and AT allows you to activate AT first for an additional chance to proc PBoI on pull, allowing you to use AT with it.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!

Return to “Frost”