[7.2] Frost Talents, Trinkets, Racials, Stats, Legendary

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Illeriia

Re: [7.1.5] Frost Talents, Trinkets, Racials, Stats, Legenda

Unread postby Illeriia Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Is RoF really that great? Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Using LW, IF, SI, UM, TV, I'm able to get 530-550k on a dummy as IV comes up (2nd time) w/ +375 crit food. With RoF (no RoP), I find myself dipping under 500k before IV is off CD.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/us/s ... raelicious" target="_blank
I've never found good use out of RoF personally, but I figured it was always due to my legendary combo (bracers/gloves). Ontop of that, I get the feeling that rng + proper timing is very important for ray of frost, considering the gul'dan trinket proc, and making sure that you use a Deadly grace over prolonged power for example.
nafuch

Unread postby nafuch Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:03 pm

thanks for help so what should i be aiming for in crit with my gear, does that mean 33.34% ?
SlyLogan

Unread postby SlyLogan Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:50 pm

I've having some issues determining whether or not to use RoF or BC with the gloves and TV. RoF does so much more damage with IV than without it, but then that's 10 seconds where you are unable to continue extending the duration. Is it actually worth it, or does BC become better if you have the gloves?
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Bonechilling is usually the best talent in the row if you have the gloves. I've seen some argue for lonely winter, but I didn't see any of their sims to support it, and I sim 20k dps higher with BC than I do with LW. Also, I sim lower with RoF than I do with BC. However, I do also have bracers, and I don't have whispers/metronome. Bonechilling is always a safe bet, but RoF could also be good depending on your gear.
SlyLogan

Unread postby SlyLogan Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:13 am

After simming myself I noticed a 20k dps gain by using BC over RoF, but I wasn't sure if it was just my gear or not. I have the gloves and prydaz for legendaries.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:01 am

It's based on your gear combination.

I'm simming LW/SI higher than BC/FT for me on ST. :/
Jics

Unread postby Jics Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:18 am

Bonechilling is usually the best talent in the row if you have the gloves. I've seen some argue for lonely winter, but I didn't see any of their sims to support it, and I sim 20k dps higher with BC than I do with LW. Also, I sim lower with RoF than I do with BC. However, I do also have bracers, and I don't have whispers/metronome. Bonechilling is always a safe bet, but RoF could also be good depending on your gear.
After getting whispers; LW simmed higher than BC for me on ST by about 3k.

However, after tinkering around in sims, it seems like as long as you can reliably cleave splitting ice, BC will be better, which makes sense.

I can see LW simming even higher for some if they're using clarity or ice age relics. (BC if they're using let it go)
Illeriia

Unread postby Illeriia Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Personally, I've always found BC being higher in Sims and actual play. That being said, I have the bracers, the gloves, a heroic whispers, and 3x Frozen Veins relics, so this is to be expected. I personally prefer the playstyle of having the pet, and using it to whatever advantages it has, but it certainly gets frustrating have it on stuff like Chronomatic Anomaly, where it literally just gets stuck on the pillar and the room, and won't cast anything.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 pm

Personally, I've always found BC being higher in Sims and actual play. That being said, I have the bracers, the gloves, a heroic whispers, and 3x Frozen Veins relics, so this is to be expected. I personally prefer the playstyle of having the pet, and using it to whatever advantages it has, but it certainly gets frustrating have it on stuff like Chronomatic Anomaly, where it literally just gets stuck on the pillar and the room, and won't cast anything.
I find it the worst on Krosus with his wonky hitbox. I have finally started seeing LW beat BC in my ST sims and will probably start using it on Krosus to not have to deal with his hitbox. I run BC otherwise because either I can pet freeze adds or I can reliably hit waterjet. Also in a lot of cases because of adds BC ends up better since blizzard helps maintain stacks as it's ticking.
Illeriia

Unread postby Illeriia Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:17 pm

I find it the worst on Krosus with his wonky hitbox. I have finally started seeing LW beat BC in my ST sims and will probably start using it on Krosus to not have to deal with his hitbox. I run BC otherwise because either I can pet freeze adds or I can reliably hit waterjet. Also in a lot of cases because of adds BC ends up better since blizzard helps maintain stacks as it's ticking.
I still run BC on Krosus, but it did take a bit of learning to get the water jets consistent. That being said, if you get an early bomb, or you aren't careful when the imps spawn your stacks can fall off.
LaPhail

Unread postby LaPhail Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:26 am

Would anyone know if using 4pc is actually worth it or is 2pc with better itemized gear better as I have seen some comments on it but have not actually seen any hard facts.
Arandomperson

Unread postby Arandomperson Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:33 pm

well actually versatility is good for you after you get to around 30% haste and 33% crit so the vers pieces arent that bad, so bis for tv frost would be gloves shoulder back and pants and you only get 300-350 mastery out of all those 4 pieces, and the extra icelances do help with your uptime, especially in fights like botanist or the last phase of star augur where you can blizzard on multiple enemies
nirdana

Unread postby nirdana Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:01 pm

I still run BC on Krosus, but it did take a bit of learning to get the water jets consistent. That being said, if you get an early bomb, or you aren't careful when the imps spawn your stacks can fall off.
I personally run RoF on Krosus because my icy veins drops when soaking adds, so no need to have too long. But i cant decide wheter to run MI or IF. IF sims higher but casue of soaking i dont have 100% activity.
Zlimex

Unread postby Zlimex Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:24 pm

At what point do you start stacking vers instead of haste? I have atm 20% haste unbuffed, and I recently got a 895 whispers in the dark. When I have both IV and TW up + the trinket procs, I feel like I have too much haste for me to handle, and I think I would get more value out of versatility at those points. Any thoughts?
Ponkster

Unread postby Ponkster Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 pm

as far as i'm aware haste will always be good and you take it to around 35% before focusing versatility.

i'd focus on dropping only mastery for versatility.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Updated OP ST/4T sims.
Venno

Unread postby Venno Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:05 am

Updated OP ST/4T sims.
Great work as always. The top performers are starting to match what I'm finding in game too.
Mage

Unread postby Mage Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:02 am

What might not be immediately obvious from the sims is that Splitting Ice is better on every single boss in NH. The difference on pure ST is so incredibly miniscule, that 2 split ice lances brings SI over FT. And every single boss (with a possible exception of Krossus depending on rng) in the instance allows for more than 2 split lances. So yeah, SI for every single boss folks.
Seravox

Unread postby Seravox Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:16 am

That's weird. I was quite positive they gave 18%, and since 45% of my dmg consists of ice lances, that would bump the amount to just ~52% of that value, which would likely be 3-4% effective dmg increase from the effect, while I would lose ~650 raw int and 1k crit in exchange for a bit lower haste and some mastery...
Mage

Unread postby Mage Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:36 pm

45% of my dmg consists of ice lances
By the way, anyone betting on a big nerf to http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=238056/obsidian-lance?
40% IL increase seems like insanity compared to what other classes get.

Return to “Frost”