[7.2] Frost Talents, Trinkets, Racials, Stats, Legendary

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Saróx

Re: [7.1] Frost Talents, Trinkets, Racials, Stats, Legendary

Unread postby Saróx Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:41 pm

It depends a lot on the fight and the RNG you have. At best i can maintain IV untill the next CD is ready, but only Cenarius and mythic Ursoc, allowed me to do this. Cenarius is just a straight up good fight for extending IV, saving your Orb for 2 stacked mobs after its of CD the first time, allows you to ramp your IV back up 10-20 seconds.

You are also depending on a vast amount of luck, becuase if your Frostbolts dont crit, your not getting the remaining CD on IV reduced, resulting in it being much harder to reach the end of the CD with IV running. Im personally running 2x IV cdr reduction, just for this matter. I woulda loved a third, but havent seen luck on that yet.

Personally i run with 42% haste and 30% crit, this makes it somewhat possible to always atleast extend it till the cd is at 60-80% done.
FloydSummerOf68

Unread postby FloydSummerOf68 Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:58 pm

After reading the PTR notes on Fire I decided to start brushing up on Frost. I simmed my character and was surprised to see that intellect simmed as the highest stat. I was expecting it to be haste.

These were the results I got: Intellect=7.16, CritRating=4.93, HasteRating=6.49, MasteryRating=3.07, Versatility=5.72

Is this expected? Gear lvl is around 865 with a little too much crit due to maining a fire mage this whole time.
lamilambkin

Unread postby lamilambkin Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:25 pm

I am curious what your current stats are, as well as if you have updated your simcraft. I have found that i hit a soft cap on haste around 46-48% where crit becomes much better. though those scalings you posted above seem very off. that high of intellect is very surprising. Unless you have something like 33%+ crit and 50%+ haste i would imagine both of those stats be a lot closer to intellect
FloydSummerOf68

Unread postby FloydSummerOf68 Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:00 pm

Hmmm....That's a good thought. I'll upgrade my simcraft when I get home and see if that's the problem. I'm not sure when it was last updated, exactly, so maybe it's missing the most recent info.

My haste is only around 30% right now and crit is more like 37%. Like I said, most of my gear is fire gear with a lot of crit and mastery. Only just decided to make the jump to frost yesterday evening and had limited haste gear to put on and wanted to Sim to get started, but I bet you're right that it just needs to be updated.

Thanks
Kearvek

Unread postby Kearvek Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:12 pm

After reading the PTR notes on Fire I decided to start brushing up on Frost. I simmed my character and was surprised to see that intellect simmed as the highest stat. I was expecting it to be haste.

These were the results I got: Intellect=7.16, CritRating=4.93, HasteRating=6.49, MasteryRating=3.07, Versatility=5.72

Is this expected? Gear lvl is around 865 with a little too much crit due to maining a fire mage this whole time.
Numbers for your scaling seem low for that ilvl. My weights at 862 ilvl currently are
Crit = 11.91, Haste = 11.40, Int = 11.12, Vers = 9.8, Mastery = 6.31

I have the Legendary gloves for frost, which may or may not make a difference there.
MagusMaximus

Unread postby MagusMaximus Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:13 am

Apart from the intellect, I would expect haste to maintain priority until something like 35-40%. Then Crit will likely take priority until you hit 33% Crit or so due to shatter. 45% or higher haste seems like a very high soft cap to me, and unless you're just perfectly geared I don't know how you'd hit that without sacrificing some crit.

I don't know what it would be priority wise after that, haste or crit though. For myself, I'm a bit low on crit right now, almost 26%, so crit is simming greater than everything else for me at the moment.
FloydSummerOf68

Unread postby FloydSummerOf68 Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:27 am

Hey, indeed you were correct in your assumption that my Simc was out of date! Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not sure why that didnt occur to me :)

I loaded the current build and these are my weights; still showing Int above haste for me :?

Intellect=8.71, CritRating=7.00, HasteRating=8.47, MasteryRating=5.33, Versatility=7.58

I'm going to be regemming/enchanting my gear this evening, so I'll see if anything changes up after that.
lamilambkin

Unread postby lamilambkin Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:54 pm

Hey, indeed you were correct in your assumption that my Simc was out of date! Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not sure why that didnt occur to me :)

I loaded the current build and these are my weights; still showing Int above haste for me :?

Intellect=8.71, CritRating=7.00, HasteRating=8.47, MasteryRating=5.33, Versatility=7.58

I'm going to be regemming/enchanting my gear this evening, so I'll see if anything changes up after that.
That looks about right. Your haste and your int are pretty much the same at this point.
jacket882

Unread postby jacket882 Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:31 am

For mythic ursoc is it better to use Frozen touch or Splitting ice?
Regardie

Unread postby Regardie Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:10 am

For mythic ursoc is it better to use Frozen touch or Splitting ice?
I don't think there is a better here. For about half of the top parses for Ursoc, you'll see mages using Splitting Ice, and for the other half Frozen Touch. So, I would take into account how your guild deals out damage to the add, and if that output will lead to you benefiting from splitting ice or not. Good luck!
poorprae

Unread postby poorprae Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:58 am

What gem type do we go for as frost? All haste? Any exceptions?
Tagain

Unread postby Tagain Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:02 pm

What gem type do we go for as frost? All haste? Any exceptions?
You should use one int gem.
Searix

Unread postby Searix Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:48 am

Used latest simc build to run some maxed trinket sims in 7.1.5

For those interested in a halfway point, this is 5 points into final trait (vashj/mag):

Searix

Unread postby Searix Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:12 am

http://pastebin.com/ZujqN4qj" target="_blank
if you want to do it on your own char
trixiebelle

Unread postby trixiebelle Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Couple of newb questions if that's okay (well, relative newb--haven't raided since Cata and kind of stumbling in new guild).

I'm attempting the TV build with an emphasis on fishing for Chain Reactions, mainly because one of our top guild DPS is frost and this is how he runs. But I'm slightly confused on how to factor in IV uptime. During IV should I be doing ANYTHING that extends the uptime, including lancing without CR if necessary? Either way I definitely can't achieve the uptime numbers you guys talk about, although my ilevel is still in the low 860s.

BC/Shimmer/IF/(FT or Splitting Ice, been experimenting with both)/IF/UM/TV.

To put another way, say I'm opening on a single target boss. Once IV is up, do I unload lances as soon as they are available or should I be fishing for more stacks of stuff including CR?

Thanks.
Mage

Unread postby Mage Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:33 am

It's quite simple, 3 steps.

1. avoid capping FOF
2. dump lances with highest CR available
3. profit
Xaximbo

Unread postby Xaximbo Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:01 pm

About the trinkets i think that simulation above is wrong.

And this is why i think so:

-First of all the difference between 880 and 860 arcano is almost non existent which is weird because 20 ilvl increase is a lot of extra stats.
-Secondly patch 7.1.5 changed stat weights and specially what they wanted is that this kind of trinket that is purely stats isn't always the BiS for most specs.
-Third the trinkets that should be the best for the spec are the ones that provide mastery such as Bough of Corruption, which ironically is placed at the bottom being almost the same as no wearing a trinket at all. Really? If its for the TV build then makes more sense because mastery has the worst weight but still is weird that has so little impact.

If you could explain why the simulation shows that weird results it'd be appreciated.
Jics

Unread postby Jics Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 am

Hey, was just wondering if there is any haste soft cap breakpoints, because it seems for me that haste (supposedly the best or 2nd best stat, behind crit) is currently my 2nd lowest stat, even behind vers. As shown below:

Critical Intel Vers Haste Mastery
14.00 13.49 12.72 12.05 11.39

I know 7.1.5 is around the corner and this will change drastically but i'm just wondering about the breakpoints, i.e with IV / IV+Lust. Furthermore; haste simmed highest in OP's profile.

I'm currently ilvl 876, and prior to 875, haste has always been either 2nd (behind crit, prolly due to shatter cap) or 3rd (behind int) but never ever behind vers.

Some details:

Talents - BC/IF/FT/UM/TV

# Gear Summary
# gear_ilvl=875.73
# gear_stamina=24711
# gear_intellect=25671
# gear_crit_rating=8288
# gear_haste_rating=8498
# gear_mastery_rating=2383
# gear_versatility_rating=1622
# gear_speed_rating=443
# gear_avoidance_rating=359
# gear_armor=1744

Sim APL - default
25k iterations
300 seconds
20% vary length
Style - Patchwerk

Thanks in advance!
Searix

Unread postby Searix Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:08 am

About the trinkets i think that simulation above is wrong.

And this is why i think so:

-First of all the difference between 880 and 860 arcano is almost non existent which is weird because 20 ilvl increase is a lot of extra stats.

It goes from 847 all secondaries to 913 all secondaries, 66 secondaries x4 = 264 extra secondaries, not a ton but enough for around 3k worth of dps
-Secondly patch 7.1.5 changed stat weights and specially what they wanted is that this kind of trinket that is purely stats isn't always the BiS for most specs.
While this is what they wanted, a person with 20/20 has 15% more damage to their spells than someone at 0/20. This means if it doesn't affect something like the ruby (except for the secondary it has) while a stat stick fully gets buffed by the +15%.
-Third the trinkets that should be the best for the spec are the ones that provide mastery such as Bough of Corruption, which ironically is placed at the bottom being almost the same as no wearing a trinket at all. Really? If its for the TV build then makes more sense because mastery has the worst weight but still is weird that has so little impact.

If you could explain why the simulation shows that weird results it'd be appreciated.
This is for TV build (not GS where mastery would be best instead of worst). Additionally frost has problems proccing bough every second unlike fire which has ignite proccing it
Vexim

Unread postby Vexim Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:12 am

Hello friends, with old mate 7.1.5 hitting us today and the IL buff incoming.
Is it going to be a greater priority to hit shatter cap or should i keep my haste as my primary stat?
:)

Return to “Frost”