[7.2] Frost Talents, Trinkets, Racials, Stats, Legendary

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Devlonir

Re: [7.2] Frost Talents, Trinkets, Racials, Stats, Legendary

Unread postby Devlonir Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Working a bit on getting better at Frost I actually bumped into a trinket that seems to not show up on any mage trinket comparison I see. It is the Obelisk of the Void. I got a lucky M15 Titanforged version to make it ilvl 900 (1180 haste and the 1 min cooldown active gives me a 2429 int buff) but I suck too much at simming to get a good grasp on how strong it really is.

I am thinking it is very strong with a Ray of Frost/RoP spec because the cooldowns line up so nicely, but I am wondering if it actually beats the normal high performers (Whispers, Metronome and Arcanocrystal) and what ilvls I should look at for those to replace this one.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Cool find, also unbelievably lucky. Outside of handing in a bazillion Nethershards there's no way to farm this. 3% drop rate on a boss that's part of a random rotation, on top of which the item would have to TF. You basically just won the lottery.

It's probably BiS for Ray builds because so much of your damage happens in those 10 seconds. I think it's not showing up because nobody has it and thus nobody bothered to sim it.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:49 am

Working a bit on getting better at Frost I actually bumped into a trinket that seems to not show up on any mage trinket comparison I see. It is the Obelisk of the Void. I got a lucky M15 Titanforged version to make it ilvl 900 (1180 haste and the 1 min cooldown active gives me a 2429 int buff) but I suck too much at simming to get a good grasp on how strong it really is.

I am thinking it is very strong with a Ray of Frost/RoP spec because the cooldowns line up so nicely, but I am wondering if it actually beats the normal high performers (Whispers, Metronome and Arcanocrystal) and what ilvls I should look at for those to replace this one.
Try Raidbots.com

It makes simming incredibly easy.
Devlonir

Unread postby Devlonir Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:26 am

Try Raidbots.com

It makes simming incredibly easy.
I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip!
Moozeemontana

Unread postby Moozeemontana Thu May 11, 2017 6:19 am

Hey guys!What haste cap do I need to use,have seen some mages with 20%haste(frost bolt casttime 1.7:is it bis?or do I need to scale it to 21+% for frostbolt cast 1.6 or to 30% to 1.5????actuaaly soz for my russke English
nafuch

Unread postby nafuch Thu May 11, 2017 9:06 am

Someone had mentioned raidbots for sim

I ran my stat weights and I am confused to see:-

Int 19.2

Vers 16.79

Haste 15.11

Crit 12.84

Mastery 10.8

Do stat weights vary for each frost mage ?

I thought that wit was crit, int, haste, vers and mastery in that order ?

Thanks
Imaskar

Unread postby Imaskar Thu May 11, 2017 11:10 am

Hey guys!What haste cap do I need to use,have seen some mages with 20%haste(frost bolt casttime 1.7:is it bis?or do I need to scale it to 21+% for frostbolt cast 1.6 or to 30% to 1.5????actuaaly soz for my russke English
There is no cap. Get 33% crit, then as much haste as you can without sacrificing too much of ilvl.
Moozeemontana

Unread postby Moozeemontana Thu May 11, 2017 4:02 pm

There is no cap. Get 33% crit, then as much haste as you can without sacrificing too much of ilvl.
Okay/ty.But why 70% of top mages(checked top10 world guilds).scale haste to 20% and make prior to vers?
nafuch

Unread postby nafuch Thu May 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Yes because my stat weights when I sim them puts vers after int and crit is further down the list (Int 19.2 Vers 16.79 Haste 15.11 Crit 12.84 Mastery 10.8), so be good if someone can explain why i shoudl be going that way instead of 33% cap ?
kamui

Unread postby kamui Fri May 12, 2017 2:27 am

Stat weights can change drastically with every gear you equip and with fight duration.

Simc is devaluing crit for you being because you're approaching the cap (it looks like you have 31%+) but crit nonetheless contribute most to your dps gains until 33.33% in most circumstances.
nafuch

Unread postby nafuch Fri May 12, 2017 10:19 am

Thank you kamui or explaining :)
nícholasmage

Unread postby nícholasmage Tue May 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Hello,

just got Padawen´s Unlucky Charm 910 with socket.
Haven't seen this in any of the list for trinkets, any ideas why? Seems like a very strong choice?
Andrestes

Unread postby Andrestes Wed May 17, 2017 3:40 am

Padawen's is in the latest trinket comparisons for 7.2-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =279467084" target="_blank

that 910 looks pretty nice.
Frantik

Unread postby Frantik Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:09 pm

So with ToS around the corner I was wondering are the sims on first page still relevant?
For those of us that hate that water elemental and thus the whole spec can we just pick Lonely winter and forget about it and still be ok dpswise?
callMeEars

Unread postby callMeEars Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:40 pm

So with ToS around the corner I was wondering are the sims on first page still relevant?
For those of us that hate that water elemental and thus the whole spec can we just pick Lonely winter and forget about it and still be ok dpswise?
Not updated yet so I recommend you check the Glacial Spike guide on this forum as that has now been updated.

To very briefly answer your question yes you can and should take lonely winter.
Searix

Unread postby Searix Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:08 am

dump time:

Aech

Unread postby Aech Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:08 pm

Searix, I was looking at your trinket sims above. The image says helm/shard with t20 GS. I went to the pastebin listed on the image to check some stuff, and the profile listed there is wearing 4p/2p with no legendaries. Does the pastebin change, or were those sims actually ran with 4p/2p and no legendaries?

Really appreciate all the work you do.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Anyone here with their 4pc? I just got 4pc last night and was trying to figure out if I should be changing my opener or not. Previously I was just precasting EB and shattering it with it's flurry while popping IV as Ebon was about to finish casting.
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:02 am

Anyone here with their 4pc? I just got 4pc last night and was trying to figure out if I should be changing my opener or not. Previously I was just precasting EB and shattering it with it's flurry while popping IV as Ebon was about to finish casting.
I haven't done any simming, but through playtesting: I've gotten the best results from doing this on opener:
3s Precast Ebon-> Flurry + IV asap -> ice lance -> 2 frostbolts -> frozen orb -> Frostbolt (to 5 icicles) unless 3x FoF stacks, then you IL to not munch procs. Dump FoF until 4-5 seconds of t20 4pc buff remaining. Cast GS with atleast 3-4 seconds remaining on the buff, hopefully with a BF proc to follow it up (even if it munches FoF).
Note: (may be better to keep dumping FoF if you don't have a BF proc)
Important: Hold ALL BF procs during opener, having a flurry available for shattering that GS is very important.

I tried not precasting ebonbolt but the cast time was too long to feel like I could fit it well. I felt that delaying everything so you can build up 5 icicles, then orbing+IV, then ebonbolting then GSing did really low damage comparably. You definitely don't want to frostbolt -> orb -> ebonbolt on pull because it's a VERY big deal to get a crit GS during the t20 4pc buff, and it's just not realistic without having 2-3 icicles when you cast frozen orb.
Nibbler

Unread postby Nibbler Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:46 pm

I get my legendary brazzers today so one question: I must keep 6 stacks up in entire fight, even if i dotn got flurry or ice lance proc ready?

Return to “Frost”