Frost dps video guide(s)

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
stormerdoom

Re: Frost dps video guide(s)

Unread postby stormerdoom Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:59 am

Thanks Pizzadad. These videos are super helpful
kryptonpwn

Unread postby kryptonpwn Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:13 am

hey man, i really appreciate the videos. They've helped me get my foot in with frost. the video (especially with lust up) is SOOO fast i can barely keep up. Im running the same exact spec as your ursoc video. Can you tell me if im doing something wrong:

Prepull ebonbolt
Frost Bomb
Ice Veins
Dump two fingers of frost charges with ice lance
frozen orb
use whatever fingers of frost procs i get from orb, (always one, usually two right?)
then pop frozen touch
dump both fingers of frost procs from frozen touch
then use water jet for two fingers of frost,
then use whatever of these comes off cooldown first etc.?
i feel like im missing something, what am i suppose to do with chain reaction again?

thanks a lot for the help man
Pizzadad

Unread postby Pizzadad Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:42 am

I usually frozen orb immediately after the frost bomb cast at the same time as icy veins. During the travel time you can start dumping fingers of frost. I've actually been refining my play style with this particular spec and as a general rule if you aren't going to overcap fingers of frost, or sit on an unused brain freeze proc, I would get some chain reaction going before dumping fingers of frost. I'm out of tow but I'll make a new video when I get back on Sunday going into a little more detail about this and my thought process. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kryptonpwn

Unread postby kryptonpwn Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:19 am

that sounds awesome man, i'll be on the look out for it. maybe do it against a target dummy so you can explain the rotation spell per spell, would be really helpful!
Raddley

Unread postby Raddley Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:48 am

Ray of Frost guide video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQVeTZ21Jq8" target="_blank
nafuch

Unread postby nafuch Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi Raddley that was a great and informative video to watch.

Could you list the rotation here in a bit more detail?

Thanks
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Unread postby Norrinir Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:18 pm

Ray of Frost guide video
One thing about the haste breakpoints: there are no breakpoints because Ray of Frost does partial tick at the end.

Say you have 27.5k haste (which is around 99.5% haste with Frost Armor). Your Ray of Frost will do 19 full ticks and then one partial tick doing ~96% of full tick damage. Now let's go slightly above 100% haste, say 27.7k haste. Your RoF will do 20 full ticks and then one partial tick, but this time doing only ~4% of full tick damage.
Falq

Unread postby Falq Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Ray of Frost guide video
One thing about the haste breakpoints: there are no breakpoints because Ray of Frost does partial tick at the end.

Say you have 27.5k haste (which is around 99.5% haste with Frost Armor). Your Ray of Frost will do 19 full ticks and then one partial tick doing ~96% of full tick damage. Now let's go slightly above 100% haste, say 27.7k haste. Your RoF will do 20 full ticks and then one partial tick, but this time doing only ~4% of full tick damage.
I'm not 100% sure about this but isn't partial tick outside RoP in this case? RoP is 10 sec + GCD + RoF which is 10 sec duration aswell, means GCD duration of RoP is ticking after RoP ends? Or you can start channeling RoF without GCD of RoP?
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Unread postby Norrinir Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 pm

The last tick always happens exactly 10 seconds after you start channeling. If you queue RoF after RoP properly, every tick gets the +50% bonus damage. If there's a slight delay between RoP and RoF, then yes, you might lose the damage bonus on last 1-2 ticks.
Raddley

Unread postby Raddley Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:38 am

Yes you do get a partial tick, and yes the partial tick benefits from your Rune of Power. Good to know, thanks Vituscze!

After some testing I am not quite sure it works the way it should in game though as I am 6.9% into my next "breakpoint" and only getting 6.0% of a partial tick. Furthermore when I get 34% into my next "breakpoint" I am only getting 32.9% of a tick. Nothing really to concern ourselves with, maybe my intial breakpoint values were a bit off since I was unaware of partial ticks.

All in all it should not have a big impact on your stat priorities, as haste is still very good for Ray of Frost. However it does free us up to grab higher ilvl pieces without having to worry about haste breakpoints.

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by Raddley on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raddley

Unread postby Raddley Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:54 am

Hi Raddley that was a great and informative video to watch.

Could you list the rotation here in a bit more detail?

Thanks
The downtime rotation is essentially the same as the BC/TV build so i'll just list the opener here

Frostbolt x2 while channeling Water Jet
Blizzard
Rune of Power
Frozen Orb
Wait for Frozen Orb GCD to end then Icy Veins
Ice Lance dump (how many depends on your procs)
Ebonbolt
Ice Lance dump
Frozen Touch
Variable - We want to Rune of Power as soon as possible here so the Chilled to the Core damage buff is up for the entirety of Ray of Frost. We may have to Frostbolt if we have no FoF procs, dump our Ice Lances, or hold onto our procs, just as long as we DO NOT delay our Rune of Power
Rune of Power
Ray of Frost
Dump procs
Frostbolt x2 while channeling Water Jet

After that just do your regular BC/TV rotation. When you near your ray of frost again you might be struggling to keep your Icy Veins up so at that point I wouldnt worry about Chain Reaction anymore and just try and make sure you use your proc generators on CD to make sure you extend Icy Veins for your Ray of Frost. This is why the legendary gloves are very nice to have. =P

GL
nafuch

Unread postby nafuch Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:28 am

Thank you for that :) very helpful
grubbyownsall

Unread postby grubbyownsall Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:38 pm

Amazing stuff!! thx alot.. Practising frost mage alot! Full focus on frost..left fire behind!
Raddley

Unread postby Raddley Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:56 am

Mythic Plus Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJQfKNSvoQ" target="_blank
Steelbane

Unread postby Steelbane Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:34 am

Mythic Plus Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJQfKNSvoQ" target="_blank
Most appreciated.. I didnt realise how much more I need to do to get the numbers im after.. you are seriously maxxing the buggery out of the frost talents there!
Pizzadad

Unread postby Pizzadad Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:35 pm

Hey I've recorded a couple more heroic raid fights for you boys. No voice on these just set to some nice music. Since the last video I made, I've made myself a weakaura for chain reaction and you'll see me fishing for chain reaction procs when I don't have an over abundancy of fingers of frost/brain freeze procs to consume. I've also acquired the legendary bracers for frost which has been an awesome dps boost. Frost is a hard spec to play at 100% efficiency, I make mistakes during these pulls but still come out with good damage. Feel free to reply or pm me with any questions or comments :ugeek:

Nythendra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C0H1g_ ... e=youtu.be" target="_blank

Elerethe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2g1k5g ... e=youtu.be" target="_blank
Minimaged

Unread postby Minimaged Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Hey Pizzadad, really enjoyed your videos so far. Whats the stat priority looking like? I'm currently at 43% haste, 25% crit. Not sure if i should drop some haste in favour of crit. Also I seem to be simming pretty low, only around 260k dps for 864 ilvl. Any help would be appreciated :)
Fexun

Unread postby Fexun Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:04 am

Hey I've recorded a couple more heroic raid fights for you boys. No voice on these just set to some nice music. Since the last video I made, I've made myself a weakaura for chain reaction and you'll see me fishing for chain reaction procs when I don't have an over abundancy of fingers of frost/brain freeze procs to consume. I've also acquired the legendary bracers for frost which has been an awesome dps boost. Frost is a hard spec to play at 100% efficiency, I make mistakes during these pulls but still come out with good damage. Feel free to reply or pm me with any questions or comments :ugeek:

Nythendra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C0H1g_ ... e=youtu.be" target="_blank

Elerethe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2g1k5g ... e=youtu.be" target="_blank
Hey, I love the incanters Flow in can you Please do a Rotation video or just text on what it is? thank you
Pizzadad

Unread postby Pizzadad Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:18 am

@Minimaged, when I sim my character, haste starts falling off at 41% haste, and even then its not much worse, but yeah I would drop some haste for crit if you have the gear. Just try to maintain around 40% haste and go for crit. I have 39/27 and it does fine. As far as your sims go, It's just based on your stats/gear/artifact level so just keep grinding buddy.

@Fexun I think you're asking about the incanter's flow rotation. Basically after the opener just use your cooldowns whenever they come up, and if you arent going to overcap on procs save them for chain reaction. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:
Minimaged

Unread postby Minimaged Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:18 pm

@Pizzadad Is Icy veins uptime closely linked to the number of artifact traits? I'm having trouble keeping it up until the next Frozen Orb

Return to “Frost”