Guide to Thermally Voiding your Enemies in 7.2.5

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Re: Guide to Thermally Voiding your Enemies in 7.2.5

Unread postby Norrinir Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:47 pm

I think you're wording it wrong, and missing one major point, mastery for frost is useless, the tier 19 that lets you play it properly is Shoulders/Pants. The main aspect of frost is dumping all mastery as possible because it has such little value. If you're not using ideal pieces of t19 or don't have high enough ilvl for your t19 other gear can replace it.

For instance if you look at top parsing mages you'll see most if not all wearing shoulders/pants. This also allows for the minimal amount of mastery from the t20 set
I see it now.
The original post wanted to know if simc overvalues T19 2pc (which it does not), that's why I was confused with your post.
Trost

Unread postby Trost Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 am

Hey guys,
We are slowly moving toward the T21 raid.
Any thoughts regarding a combination 2P T20 / 4P T21 ?
- How do you call a resto drood in fight ?
- A combat log
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Well... seems like legendaries set will stay the same which means we can do 2t20 + 4t21 easily. See no problem with that at all. Especially if Blizzard keeps new bonus.
Eggochiggo

Unread postby Eggochiggo Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Has anyone been simming at which point we can get rid of the T19 Shoulders/Legs? I have a number of 940+ haste/crit/versatility pieces and no combo of them even comes close to my 4 T20/2 T19. I'm thinking I won't be able to really switch out any gear until I get the 4 PC T21 which kind of sucks since upgrades won't be used for a while.
Tenzarin

Unread postby Tenzarin Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 am

2pc t21, replace the nighthold set.
obsthemagnificant

Unread postby obsthemagnificant Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:30 pm

I have been wondering the same thing. Ran a raid with another frost mage that was only a few ilvls ahead of me, she was smoking me! After a conversation I decided to drop the t19 items and saw an immediate increase in my dps! talking 150k-200k ish. now if i can just get my damn bracers to drop Ill be a happy happy person!
Oshtamage

Unread postby Oshtamage Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Simming yourself is really the only way to determine which combination of tier pieces you should use. In Antorus, this is particularly true. I have t21 4p, and all t20 pieces. 4p t20 with 2p t21 is currently my highest simming combination.

I assume once people have a full set of 4p t21 mythic, then the standard will be 4p t21 and 2p t20. But as you gear up to that point, this may not be the case.

Many mages are falling short of the crit cap as they equip t21 and this also explains some of the shortcomings as 4p t21 is tested. This lack of crit will be addressed as people get better gear. And mages who already have 930+ crit necks and crit rings may see t21 pulling ahead earlier. As most mages coming from mythic/heroic tomb equipped haste/verse necks, this issue is common.

Lastly, yes 2p t21 with 4p t20 nearly universally beats keeping 2p t19. If you don’t have 2p t21, the only way you know to replace t19 is simming.
Skinkelinke

Unread postby Skinkelinke Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Hello all,

I been searching all over the place but can not find an answer for this scenario. I have read all the guides there are on the internet and cant seem to find a good answer.

Its about chaining ebonbolt/frostbolt, flurry, IL.

Guides says that I should try and chain them but say for example that I am consuming my FoF procs and have BF up should I frostbolt, flurry, IL or just flurry ice lance and that case? The scenario I am asking for are the ones where I am not already casting FB/EB.

Many thanks in advance!
Mageman

Unread postby Mageman Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:13 pm

In that case (if I well understand), you should consume all your FoF procs then FB>Flurry>IL, if you procs an other FoF during FB cast, just do the combo, cancel your FB is a DPS loss.

You always have to try to use flurry in this combo, with it you shatter your FB and your IL !
Skinkelinke

Unread postby Skinkelinke Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:59 pm

I guess that answers my question and that's what I have been doing. I know not to interrupt cast just curious if there are any situation where you actually don't weave in fb/eb and just flurry/IL (except when moving).
Eralynn

Unread postby Eralynn Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Hey Guys! I don't know whatelse to do...I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what! Can anyone help me ? I can't get a good dps even if I don't need to move a lot. My rotation its basically:
Pre-potion>>EB>>Hero>>IV>>Trinket(Tarnished Sentinel Medallion)>>FL>>IL>>FO - and so spending procs whenever available and casting FB. While IV is up I spend FoF as priority but when it's off I spend BF first, always followed by IL.

I'm doing something wrong ? If helps :https://worldofwarcraft.com/pt-br/chara ... nn/eralynn

>.< sorry for my bad english
irishprodigy

Unread postby irishprodigy Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Hey people, so with the new teir bonus are we casting furry during lust to get the 15% more damage or just rotation as normal?
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:57 am

Tier changes nothing about our rotation. Just play as you normally would.
TheGreyPaladin

Unread postby TheGreyPaladin Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 pm

After trying frost and never really doing well with it even following this guide to a T - I think I have found the problem and it may help alot of other frost mages. Having mained a mage for many years I am used to ABC (always be casting) and queuing up spells, and keybinding my spells I use all the time. Based on this guide I have frost bolt keybound to 1, flurry to 2 and ice lance to 3. I am usually hard casting frostbolt then when brain freeze procs as quick as I can hit flurry, which is instant cast, then 3 for ice lance - IE right from the guide on brain freeze proc hard cast frostbolt then instant cast flurry, then ice lance. The problem is - doing this I hit 1 for a few seconds for frostbolt then 2-3 in quick succession - trying to maximize casts. When doing this my ICE LANCEs DISAPPEARED! I ran skada - no ice lance damage! Tried details - same thing. I have a super fast PC (5 Ghz) and less than 50ms latency. If however, I pause for a second after hitting flurry then hit ice lance BAM! It works - much more DPS! I was over 15 feet from target as well. Such a simple fix to more DPS! Never had to pause before between spells - actually it normally pays to que them up a little in advance. Hope this helps others!
Srig

Unread postby Srig Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 pm

After trying frost and never really doing well with it even following this guide to a T - I think I have found the problem and it may help alot of other frost mages. Having mained a mage for many years I am used to ABC (always be casting) and queuing up spells, and keybinding my spells I use all the time. Based on this guide I have frost bolt keybound to 1, flurry to 2 and ice lance to 3. I am usually hard casting frostbolt then when brain freeze procs as quick as I can hit flurry, which is instant cast, then 3 for ice lance - IE right from the guide on brain freeze proc hard cast frostbolt then instant cast flurry, then ice lance. The problem is - doing this I hit 1 for a few seconds for frostbolt then 2-3 in quick succession - trying to maximize casts. When doing this my ICE LANCEs DISAPPEARED! I ran skada - no ice lance damage! Tried details - same thing. I have a super fast PC (5 Ghz) and less than 50ms latency. If however, I pause for a second after hitting flurry then hit ice lance BAM! It works - much more DPS! I was over 15 feet from target as well. Such a simple fix to more DPS! Never had to pause before between spells - actually it normally pays to que them up a little in advance. Hope this helps others!
buddy, a couple of weeks ago i reviewed all my logs b/c I was sure I wasn't getting the dps I should have been and this was EXACTLY what I was doing. you have to wait on the IL or you will press it and it won't cast but it will look like it does.

a deliberate casting tempo within the GCD is absolutely required. You can hit the FL superfast after the FB, but don't smack that IL key too fast.

FWIW, my dps went up nearly 10% and now I'm performing massively better!

Return to “Frost”