Guide to Thermally Voiding your Enemies in 7.2.5

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
darkcam17

Re: Guide to Thermally Voiding your Enemies in 7.1.5

Unread postby darkcam17 Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:07 am

Thanks for the fantastic guide!

Two quick questions though, the first being is it normal for my stat priority to be int>crit>verse=haste>mastery. If not could this indicate I'm doing something wrong with my simms?
Also building off this even though crit is consistently simming higher than haste when I switch the food used to crit food my dps goes down I'm pretty confused as to why this would be happening.
Sylo

Unread postby Sylo Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Is Deadly Grace still better then Prolonged Power? Not sure if the re-balancing of stats has changed anything.

Thanks.
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Unread postby Norrinir Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:09 pm

Depends mostly on whether you're running Mirror Images and how many points you put into the paragon trait. At some point, Prolonged Power becomes better than DG, sim for yourself to find when that happens.

Against 2+ enemies, you want to use Prolonged Power regardless.
zidanej

Unread postby zidanej Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:42 am

Thanks for the guide! One question I have is about Brain Freeze proc munching. Usually I'm just casting Frost bolt all the time and I'm usually mid-cast (I guess really start-of-cast) when I notice that there's a Brain Freeze proc. Do I cancel the Frost bolt to cast Flurry-> Ice Lance?
olokton

Unread postby olokton Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 am

Thanks for the guide! One question I have is about Brain Freeze proc munching. Usually I'm just casting Frost bolt all the time and I'm usually mid-cast (I guess really start-of-cast) when I notice that there's a Brain Freeze proc. Do I cancel the Frost bolt to cast Flurry-> Ice Lance?
No you should just finish your Frostbolt cast and flurry immediately after, following with ice lance. However, I think it is worthwhile to cancel an Ebonbolt cast to flurry so you aren't munching Brain Freeze procs. I try not to use Ebonbolt immediately after Frostbolt specifically for this reason.
Venno

Unread postby Venno Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:47 am

If Icy Veins is up, I'll cancel ebonbolt cast to flurry/IL, then ebonbolt.

If Icy Veins has dropped off (rip my dps), I'll just finish the cast.
Iskaa

Unread postby Iskaa Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:42 am

I got an 860 Frozen Veins Relict today. Should i exchange that with an useless Orbital Strike 875 Relict?
thingy

Unread postby thingy Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:40 pm

Curious, are there any good action bars that doesn't cough all over the place when you have heroism + icy veins and cast instant icelances? ElvUI action bars at least makes it really hard to use as it gets confused about GCD lengths or something (a similar issue arises during multiple fireblasts in fire)? I have a hard time dumping 3x FoF => Flurry => Ice Lance without either munching something OR launching one too many Ice Lances as those 5 instants with so much haste confuses ElvUI it seems.

Alternatively I guess I need to set up some GCD monitoring WA's for this spec.
I'm not sure about actionbars as I use default, but I edited my post with my WeakAuras at the bottom of the guide. Maybe that's something close to what you're looking for?
Hello,

I am curious in m+ with frost. I am somehow competive, but I would like be better.

I tried many setups, currently I am running:
Ice nova+ Comet storm+UG
IF - RoP is time lose, in aoe I usually had a lot of FoF - that was 7.1

I saw analysis that casting 1 ice lance is same as AG talent. with 2 icelances into Frost bomb you make AG talent garbage.
Anyway in 7.1 I didnt had time to maintaim FB, dump IL so I went UM instead of FB.

How you do m+? Is spliting ice better then IF, which makes bliizzard and CS better?
That's how it was last patch. Now that Blizzard reduces the CD of Frozen Orb AG gains a lot of value since you'll want to be using Blizzard quite a bit. Personally, I use BC/IF/SI/AG/TV. I don't bother with comet storm because I like extending IV as long as I can on trash packs when we're chain pulling as well as keeping IV up for bosses (most of the time).
Thanks for the fantastic guide!

Two quick questions though, the first being is it normal for my stat priority to be int>crit>verse=haste>mastery. If not could this indicate I'm doing something wrong with my simms?
Also building off this even though crit is consistently simming higher than haste when I switch the food used to crit food my dps goes down I'm pretty confused as to why this would be happening.
It's possible if you already have a decent amount of haste and under the shatter cap. I'm not sure about the food thing - what does it tell you your stat weights are after you swap it? It could be that your stats are extremely close and little changes will mix things up - which is why we should sim with every gear swap to get more accurate results when simming.
I got an 860 Frozen Veins Relict today. Should i exchange that with an useless Orbital Strike 875 Relict?
If I'm interpreting Frosted's chart correctly in his post then if the 875 relic is >3 weapon ilvls over the 860 one you should keep it as-is.
Samj

Unread postby Samj Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Is todays ray of frost buff going to make it a viable and/or the best choice in that tier?

I hope not, using that thing is boring.
thingy

Unread postby thingy Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:56 pm

As of now not until you get the Gul'dan trinket and have high haste and even then I think it's close to BC. I'm not bothering to even mess with it until the end of the tier when all of our boss strategies are fleshed out so I can minimize the risk from using it.
Ellerianfan

Unread postby Ellerianfan Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:11 pm

So MI is defiantly simming the highest ST for me, although i cant quite figure out the best way to pop it before/on the pull. Hitting it right before ebonbolt before pull doesnt feel right as thats almost 4 seconds of them doing nothing but hitting it on pull feels bad too
Sambabwe

Unread postby Sambabwe Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:53 pm

So MI is defiantly simming the highest ST for me, although i cant quite figure out the best way to pop it before/on the pull. Hitting it right before ebonbolt before pull doesn't feel right as thats almost 4 seconds of them doing nothing but hitting it on pull feels bad too
When i tried running MI I used Ebonbolt on opener and right after MI and IV followed by flurry and two lances. This at least was giving me the best results when trying different openers out using MI.
Vashmon

Unread postby Vashmon Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:04 am

In addition to lust, I can also double ice lance a winter's chill with troll berserking. Shorter window sure, but it's definitely worth noting. I have 26% haste if that helps
darkcam17

Unread postby darkcam17 Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:27 am

Personally, I use BC/IF/SI/AG/TV. I don't bother with comet storm because I like extending IV as long as I can on trash packs when we're chain pulling as well as keeping IV up for bosses (most of the time).
Do you change this talent setup in lower or higher level M+? Also I'm not quite sure how to phrase this question but I'm never really sure when to burn TV during trash. I'm hesitant to use it before bosses as I'm worried I'll drop it before I get it off cd for a boss.
kor123

Unread postby kor123 Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:48 am

Hi, i'm new to frost and appreciate the effort you have put into this guide.

I'm currently sitting at 876 gear level w/ 2 legendaries (belovir's (chest) and norgannon's (boots) and I've noticed I can keep IV up for maybe 1 min/ 1:30 tops....is that normal for someone without frost legendaries? I'm sitting at 31.91 crit/23.54 haste and 38.06 mastery ...so not sure if it's cause my stats aren't ideal yet?
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 am

So I have a good problem and just want to confirm. I got the frost bracers and the trinket today. I have the time warp ring and before the bracers I got the trinket. So I was wearing ring+trinket. Now with the bracers I'm not sure what to do. Based on the sims I should keep the trinket and bag the bracers? Thanks for any help.
Sambabwe

Unread postby Sambabwe Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Do you change this talent setup in lower or higher level M+? Also I'm not quite sure how to phrase this question but I'm never really sure when to burn TV during trash. I'm hesitant to use it before bosses as I'm worried I'll drop it before I get it off cd for a boss.
Use IV asap after boss fights, otherwise try to save it for bosses only. As for talents i run BC/IF/SI/AG/TV almost every time in high m+. Only thing i'd switch around is AG to FB time to time but that's just a preference.
Hi, i'm new to frost and appreciate the effort you have put into this guide.

I'm currently sitting at 876 gear level w/ 2 legendaries (belovir's (chest) and norgannon's (boots) and I've noticed I can keep IV up for maybe 1 min/ 1:30 tops....is that normal for someone without frost legendaries? I'm sitting at 31.91 crit/23.54 haste and 38.06 mastery ...so not sure if it's cause my stats aren't ideal yet?
thats quite normal duration these days since we have less guaranteed procs. For improvement you can switch around a bit crit to haste making ur casts a bit quicker and more chance to get procs from FB casts. Currently as for best stat weights u want to have as much crit and haste as possible, keeping them close to each other.
So I have a good problem and just want to confirm. I got the frost bracers and the trinket today. I have the time warp ring and before the bracers I got the trinket. So I was wearing ring+trinket. Now with the bracers I'm not sure what to do. Based on the sims I should keep the trinket and bag the bracers? Thanks for any help.
This really depends on what other trinket options u have available, but for current sims the legendary trinket is quite big. I'd say yes you should bag the bracers until you get good trinkets from NH.
Zotix

Unread postby Zotix Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:03 pm

How vital are legendaries to making this work? As a mage with zero legendaries, frost seems enticing.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks for confirming Sambabwe. I'll bag the bracers for now.
How vital are legendaries to making this work? As a mage with zero legendaries, frost seems enticing.
I don't really know how relevant my stuff is but I only had the Time warp ring for the longest time and Frost was slightly better than Arcane for me and way better than Fire for me ST. I think if you look at the overall sims Frost and Arcane with no legendaries is going to be better than Fire with no DPS legendaries. If you like frost, go frost. Really all the specs are viable.
pleblius

Unread postby pleblius Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:47 pm

The legendaries would seem to be really nice, but I don't have any issues as Frost not having them. I pull about equal as Frost with an 880 ilvl weapon and no legs as the Fire mages in my raid with 910 weapons and 1 or 2 DPS legs.

Return to “Frost”