Guide to Thermally Voiding your Enemies in 7.2.5

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Deason76

Re: Guide to Thermally Voiding your Enemies in 7.1.5

Unread postby Deason76 Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:53 pm

Hey guys, new to this site and like everyone else i'm trying to get better. 2 questions:

1. What is ypur starting rotation to optimize the number of FoF and not munch them.

2. I can't seem to break the 45 second mark. My crit is a bit on the low side I have to admit (21%) which I know I have to raise but I saw posts about people with this much crit holding IV for more than a minute. What am I doing wrong? MrRobot (I said i'm new! :P) is telling me I should do 100k dps than I'm doing. My legendaries are also awful (I know, I have nothing rolling for me). Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sigil

Unread postby Sigil Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:20 am

Here is what I open with:
At 3-4s to go on the pull countdown I use Potion of Prolonged Power and start casting Ebonbolt.
Immediately following 2 x Frost Bolt and pet water ray.
Cast Icy Veins.
Then Proceed to dump ILs then cast Frozen Orb and then dump ILs again.
Then using EB/PetRay/FO all on CD...

The initial 2 x Frost Bolts may overlap a Brain Freeze but I figure getting the CD's ticking immediately and start casting at 3-4s to go to pull are more important.

This way you can get 3 x pet rays and a second Ebonbolt on your Icy Veins to try and get to that all important second Frozen Orb to further extend your Icy Veins...

This works pretty well for me, I'm generally >80% ranking hitting >95% on a few fights for my iLvl and I don’t even have either the legendary DPS gloves or bracers…so my opening does work well…no idea if its optimal but I’m happy with my results…
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Without gloves, I would recommend:
prepot+precast ebonbolt at ~3s (.5s longer than the cast) before pull -> flurry -> icy veins (Our spec being the only caster spec in the game which has our damage calculated when it hits the target rather than when the spellcast ends!!!) -> ice lance -> frozen orb -> frostbolt 1-2 times -> spend FoF -> eventually water jet (when you feel like you won't munch).

Now, it's worth noting that the difference between our different openers is highly negligible. On many fights, the optimal opener likely changes based upon fight mechanics and timings.
Examples:
Trilliax: You want to frozen orb asap because then it will be back up just before annihilation starts (if you cast frozen orb once his beam comes out, it flies straight through him and you cry).
Skorpyron: You want to use water jet asap, because if you use it on pull, instead of say, ebonbolt, it will be back up just as scorpids spawn, and then you can pet freeze them, get 3 instant FoF, and not have to hardcast any frostbolts into a water jet (especially since you'll want to be spending globals on cleave ice lances and blizzards).
Gul'dan: You'll want to delay water jet until after the hellfire, because then you can use water jet during the extra action speed buff, and generate 3 FoF off of your water jet (your pet doesn't get the speed buff, so you can cast 3 frostbolts into it).

These are just a few examples of how your optimal opener can vary greatly depending on when you want your abilities to come back off of cooldown. Luckily, it's not very punishing to whatever opener you feel like, or want to try. The difference they'll make in your dps is usually very very small.
Quorgyle

Unread postby Quorgyle Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Here is what I open with:
At 3-4s to go on the pull countdown I use Potion of Prolonged Power and start casting Ebonbolt.
Immediately following 2 x Frost Bolt and pet water ray.
Cast Icy Veins.
Then Proceed to dump ILs then cast Frozen Orb and then dump ILs again.
Then using EB/PetRay/FO all on CD...

The initial 2 x Frost Bolts may overlap a Brain Freeze but I figure getting the CD's ticking immediately and start casting at 3-4s to go to pull are more important.

This way you can get 3 x pet rays and a second Ebonbolt on your Icy Veins to try and get to that all important second Frozen Orb to further extend your Icy Veins...

This works pretty well for me, I'm generally >80% ranking hitting >95% on a few fights for my iLvl and I don’t even have either the legendary DPS gloves or bracers…so my opening does work well…no idea if its optimal but I’m happy with my results…
Why would you open up with an Ebonbolt if you won't cast Flurry and Ice Lance after that?
Shitbird

Unread postby Shitbird Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:32 am

I've been frost for about a week so i'm still not 100% clear on priorities.

Say you are chain casting frostbolts. Suddenly you get a BF proc AND an FoF proc. Do you just ignore the FoF and consume the brain freeze, or do you use the FoF at the end of your current frostbolt cast, then cast another frostbolt and consume the brain freeze after that one.

do you munch the FoF or use it?
Klitochris

Unread postby Klitochris Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:58 am

Generally feel like I have the entire rotation down although my IV uptime is horrible.
Compared to the top ~20 mages on warcraftlogs they've got somewhat 70-90% uptime whereas I've got around 30% (generally)

Seeing as Ive got good gear (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... t/advanced" target="_blank) I must be doing something terribly wrong. But I just cant find out what it is. Initially my conclusion was pure RNG on FoF procs and BF procs during my IV window. Although the issue is far too reccuring.

Here are my logs - (yes, its embarassing)

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 80/latest/" target="_blank

Any thoughts?

Thanks on advance.
Mage

Unread postby Mage Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Comparing your uptimes to top20 logs is not really the best way to go about it. They are top for a reason (RNG).
Klitochris

Unread postby Klitochris Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Comparing your uptimes to top20 logs is not really the best way to go about it. They are top for a reason (RNG).

Well, yes sure, RNG is a thing. Although they literally have the same uptime on all fights. Its not a particular one. Its 10/10. Meaning its not only RNG.
Mage

Unread postby Mage Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:55 pm

I'd love to see a player with 70-90% uptime on IV on every boss. Please share some names so I can check their logs.
Klitochris

Unread postby Klitochris Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:50 am

As I said, just filter warcraftlogs.com on all-stars in Mythic by Frost Mages only and check everyones uptime. It's unreal.
Lavok

Unread postby Lavok Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:21 am

As I said, just filter warcraftlogs.com on all-stars in Mythic by Frost Mages only and check everyones uptime. It's unreal.
Correct legendaries, kill time and double ice lancing helps.
Mage

Unread postby Mage Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:14 pm

You are playing LW but I'm pretty sure you are checking BC uptimes instead of LW ones.
Even the "top allstars" playing with gloves have nowhere near 70-90 uptime "on all bosses" playing LW.
masteryogurt

Unread postby masteryogurt Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:03 am

Something that bugs me a bit about frost is engaging with bosses that are less than 15 yards or so, and likewise don't benefit from the FB shatter combo. ex, ebonbolt->>flurry>>icelance. or FB (with a BF) then flurry right after.

Ex bosses are spellblade at certain phases, and guldan, pretty much all phase 2.

Does anyone have any more info on the exact yardage needed to be away from the boss to make it work. I guess for fights like guldan, until phase 3...forget trying to do the above two shatter situations, and play like they didn't exist. That correct?
broedrost

Unread postby broedrost Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:34 pm

Something that bugs me a bit about frost is engaging with bosses that are less than 15 yards or so, and likewise don't benefit from the FB shatter combo. ex, ebonbolt->>flurry>>icelance. or FB (with a BF) then flurry right after.

Ex bosses are spellblade at certain phases, and guldan, pretty much all phase 2.

Does anyone have any more info on the exact yardage needed to be away from the boss to make it work. I guess for fights like guldan, until phase 3...forget trying to do the above two shatter situations, and play like they didn't exist. That correct?
The distance is based on your haste =p
masteryogurt

Unread postby masteryogurt Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:37 pm

The distance is based on your haste =p
Oh wow, I had no idea. Anyone have any pointers as to how to calculate how far I need to be based off my haste? I don't see it here in the thermal guide, I'll keep scrubbing the forums. Guess this is important to know
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:48 am

It's in the double IL and lag thread below.
Arandomperson

Unread postby Arandomperson Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Do you guys run bc/lw and tv/CometS for m+?
Emmeh

Unread postby Emmeh Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:16 pm

LW IF SI AG TV
Don't trust anything that bleeds for one week and doesn't die.
broedrost

Unread postby broedrost Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:34 am

If I have both FoF proc and BF proc, do I spend FoF procs and risk munching a BF proc or do I just Flurry+Ice lance anyway?
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

If you're mid-cast of Frostbolt, go Frostbolt->Flurry->IL and munch the fof procs.

If you're not, just dump all your FOF procs before you Frostbolt->Flurry->IL

Return to “Frost”