Glacial Spike - Updated

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Arandomperson

Re: Glacial Spike - How to Ham 101

Unread postby Arandomperson Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:32 am

because when you have a brainfreeze proc you can frostbolt->flurry-> icelance which makes the icelance shatter even without a fingers proc. so you dump all fingers procs before going for the flurry to make sure you get more shattered icelances
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:43 am

But if im not mistaken its a dps loss to ice lance back to back without a frostbolt in between?
Venno

Unread postby Venno Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:53 am

But if im not mistaken its a dps loss to ice lance back to back without a frostbolt in between?
Yes, you're mistaken.
Xellana

Unread postby Xellana Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi guys, as many of you I've fallen in love with the Glacial Spike Spec.
Something feels off, though and I've got no explanation for it so far.

So far I have had solid results with the spec (no 90%+ ratings for my ilvl, but my frost weapon is only 43 traits, so no biggy).
Something that is very noticable is the damage distribution, that is quite different for me compared to others playing this spec.

If you look at logs that were posted in this thread, most of the time, glacial spike is the number 1 damage source by far.
Example for Krosus: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/R4 ... &source=11" target="_blank

Now look at a log from me at Krosus Heroic from yesterday:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/f8 ... &source=14" target="_blank

Glacial Spike is only 3rd place for me. Most of my damage still comes from Ice Lance and Flurry.

Now the question is:
- How does that difference come to pass?
As suggested in the Original Post my FoF Procs and Flurry Procs are priority over Glacial Spike. So I try to only cast Glacial Spike if I have neither FoF nor Flurry Proc. Is this correct? And how is Glacial Spike doing that much more damage for other people if they use the same priority list?

Is it a gearing thing (and who is right/wrong in that regard)?
Is it a rotion / priority list thing (and who is right/wrong in that regard)?
Edit: Is it possible to cast too much Ice lance / Flurry and too few glacia spikes? If yes, in which situations would you cast glacial spike instead of consuming your FoF or BF Proc?
Last edited by Xellana on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nirdana

Unread postby nirdana Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:27 pm

Looks like he has more mastery. The lenght of fights are also different
thecool85

Unread postby thecool85 Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:06 pm

My rotation is TV, I don't play GS. I assist razlopp and others with the apl and simc for it.

-Is it just FBs and GSs?

For what? Single Target or AoE? Single Target Razlopp's already pretty clearly covered.

For AoE, I already made clear you use an AoE rotation very similar to TV. Frostbolt and GS take a back seat at 4+ enemies. You use Blizzard and Ice Lance and Frozen Orb and Flurry to get as much as you can out of the weak aoe Frost has.

-Has anyone done the math on the perfect actions per minute?

Well let's take this a bit backwards.... Actions per minute is a silly way to look at things. First of all, in an AoE situation things are almost never alive for flat periods of time. We can tell you what does produce numbers, but it's your skilled timing of said abilities to make it work.

Secondly, we use SimC to model the gains. If you think there is something it's modeling incorrectly feel free to point them out so we can see if we can fix them.

If you're asking for mathamtical models, I believe one of the global mods has worked on a solution back in 7.1.0, but it's rather difficult to appropriately model.

And again, you're not making it clear whether yuou're talking about ST or AoE or how many targets.

The APL provided in the OP details both AoE and ST (the SimC APL, not Razlopp's specific APL). I'm not going to read it line for line for you.
Alright, no one asked you to read it line by line. I may have been a little unclear in my request but it certainly didn't warrant that assumption nor did it warrant the semi-dickish response. I was simply trying to figure out the best single target rotation DURING icy veins. I wanted to know if DURING Icy veins, I should just be simply frostbolting and Glacial Spiking or whether I should be attempting to weave in other spells, specifically, Brain Freeze procs and Ice Lances. I was curious about whether there was an optimal method during that window of time. I'm sorry if that inquiry caused some unforeseen personal offense.
Arandomperson

Unread postby Arandomperson Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:32 pm

I think it's simply that glacial spike double dips on dmg from traits, dmg from versatility, and scales very well with mastery, so you may just be lacking in those departments
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Yes, you're mistaken.
I guess. My understanding is to always adhere to the rules of ABC.
Eggochiggo

Unread postby Eggochiggo Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:06 pm

This was my preferred build in beta, but the pure dps was never there to main it. Are you concerned with the 7.2 changes to artifact weapons losing your 20% frost dmg making this build sort of irrelevant again? Also is it intended that Glacial Spike is doubling dipping from % dmg stats, if not are you concerned about a hot fix at some point in time.

I was unsure if I wanted to invest so much time into leveling my frost weapon if the future of the game could really impact this build so much.
hfxRos

Unread postby hfxRos Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:56 am

Yes, you're mistaken.
I guess. My understanding is to always adhere to the rules of ABC.
How does casting ice lance back to back break the ABC rule?
Arandomperson

Unread postby Arandomperson Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:06 am

Have any of you done the math on how good the 4set bonus actually is for glacial spike build? It feels like the 4set is just a handy bonus if those pieces happen to be your best but it doesnt actually do that much. For me the sims say a -15 ilvl and slightly worse stat distribution for the 4set is totally not worth it
Kappagayo

Unread postby Kappagayo Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:31 pm

Have any of you done the math on how good the 4set bonus actually is for glacial spike build? It feels like the 4set is just a handy bonus if those pieces happen to be your best but it doesnt actually do that much. For me the sims say a -15 ilvl and slightly worse stat distribution for the 4set is totally not worth it
its def made for thermal void so unless its cloak / legs / chest / hands. I wouldnt take 4set.
Ponkster

Unread postby Ponkster Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Don't forget ice lance hits like a truck, getting more procs is a lot of extra damage.
felian

Unread postby felian Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:46 am

hello! just start play GS mage and have few questions.
1) stats priority. in first post there a picture, and i'm wonder, int rly worth nothing for GS spec? i mean i can sim, but wanna know +/- what i should try to get.
2) what about bosses where u need move? I go double blink talent, so no ice floes, should i just ice lance while moving? there different situations, and sometimes blink while cast not an option. and overall, if group move with boss, what better cast while moving?
3) any tips what i can do for better results? (am i post it right?=) )
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/KV ... &source=10" target="_blank
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/KV ... &source=10" target="_blank
nirdana

Unread postby nirdana Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:43 am

If you know you'll have to move you can save some procs and omit frostbolt from roation. For example brain freeze gives you two globals. That is usually enough time to move somewhere. If the distance is higher and you ran out of blinks just spam ice lances, it does some dmg.
felian

Unread postby felian Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:50 am

well most interesting in this because of Trilliax fight. U need move there alot.

what about my other questions? any tips/answers?))
just get 900 obelisk of the void. it give 5k int for 15 sec button. so if int worst stat for GS i think this trinket not worth, correct?
nirdana

Unread postby nirdana Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:57 am

I think you have to sim the trinket (you can also try sims with movement, it should be more valuable here)
Dont if it is good with GS, but with RoF pretty strong.
Arandomperson

Unread postby Arandomperson Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:48 pm

int being the worst stat doesnt mean by any stretch that it's bad, gs still gets more from int that any other class and why an ilvl upgrade is almost always better no matter the stats. but to be as accurate as possible you should sim yourself
Kappagayo

Unread postby Kappagayo Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:03 pm

well most interesting in this because of Trilliax fight. U need move there alot.

what about my other questions? any tips/answers?))
just get 900 obelisk of the void. it give 5k int for 15 sec button. so if int worst stat for GS i think this trinket not worth, correct?

Int is only the worst stat in the original post because the mage he's using to get those weights is 903. You have to sim yourself because for my weights it's vers>int>haste>crit>mast.
felian

Unread postby felian Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:49 pm

and you guys use that sim settings from first post? or just go with /simc from game and leave all for program?

Return to “Frost”