Glacial Spike - Updated

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Re: Glacial Spike - How to Ham 101

Unread postby Norrinir Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:53 pm

Nightly versions of SimC should be fine to use for GS. But it's worth comparing with the linked APL every now and then just to be sure.
felian

Unread postby felian Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:43 am

my numbers go so wrong today in heroic. so need tips on how to use this. i see priority in first post, but will i ever use flurry without proc? (with cast time), should i use frostbolt before every (except ice lance) other spell to proc freez passive? or i use ice lance after my main spells like proc flurry and gs?
Laere

Unread postby Laere Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:15 am

Spell priority is the same UNDER ICY VEINS MINUS EBONBOLT.

As far as what I was told when talking to Raz on discord. If anything has changed since then no idea. But I keep the same spell priority listed in the guide under icy veins besides ebonbolt.
Imaskar

Unread postby Imaskar Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:48 pm

I often see situation, when I had FoF previously, chain-casted FB and now I have FoF and BF proc.
At this popint I have to either fire IL next with the possibility to waste BF proc, or fire F and guaranteed waste a FoF proc.
I wonder, which one is better.
IL is like 700k, F is 1.4m (plus FB crit, plus more GS dmg from FB crit). But the proc chance is not that high.
Simseh94

Unread postby Simseh94 Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks for this guide! I find this spec a lot of fun.
My only issue, however, is what my rotation should look like. Should I ignore flurry procs and just go for as many glacial spikes as I can while I have icy veins active?
Juno

Unread postby Juno Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Working up on my frost artifact right now, almost reached 35 and already simming almost as good as fire 54 traits for pure ST.
(god i wish i did not spent all those point on arcane :lol: )

I completely ignored frost in 7.1 and now i find myself a bit lost regarding my rotation during Icy veins and my priority list. (and yes, i've read the OP a bazillion of times)
Can you guys help me figuring frost GS out as i'm literally starting from scratch ?
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Working up on my frost artifact right now, almost reached 35 and already simming almost as good as fire 54 traits for pure ST.

I completely ignored frost in 7.1 and now i find myself a bit lost regarding my rotation during Icy veins and my priority list. (and yes, i've read the OP a bazillion of times)
Can you guys help me figuring frost GS out as i'm literally starting from scratch ?
Have you also read the rest of the thread? The (repeated) answer to your implied question on icy veins is three posts on top of your own post. In case that wasn't what you were looking for you would help us a lot by being a bit more specific about your problems.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:38 pm

As far as what I was told when talking to Raz on discord. If anything has changed since then no idea. But I keep the same spell priority listed in the guide under icy veins besides ebonbolt.
My only issue, however, is what my rotation should look like. Should I ignore flurry procs and just go for as many glacial spikes as I can while I have icy veins active?
Look above your post just a tiny bit to find your answer. In case that's too hard I've quoted it for you. Also before you ask about the priority or rotation, read the OP on this thread for your answer. Then if you have questions on what to do when you're under Icy Veins just come back to this post.
Juno

Unread postby Juno Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:39 pm

Have you also read the rest of the thread? The (repeated) answer to your implied question on icy veins is three posts on top of your own post. In case that wasn't what you were looking for you would help us a lot by being a bit more specific about your problems.
Priority List
Most important starting at top.

Icy Veins(Cool downs)
Ice Lance (With FoF procs)
Flurry (Previous spell was Frostbolt OR Ebonbolt)
Frozen Orb
Ebonbolt (Make sure to shatter now!)
Glacial Spike (Fuck ya)
Frostbolt

So that's should be my prio, i get it.
Why am i using flurry if previous spell was Frostbolt or Ebonbolt ? Does it means the way i handle Flurry procs (so FB-Flurry-IL)
Why i'm removing Ebonbolt out of the prio during IV ?
What should i do if i get a BF proc AND i have a FoF proc too?
How about neck enchants or pots ? is there a best one or should i sim myself ?

Sorry if some questions seems retarded but i'm literally just starting to get a feel for the spec, i feel like the whole op guide takes a bit of things for granted (and i get why) but i think i'd need a more basic starting point.

Thanks for your patience :)
t3hbar0n

Unread postby t3hbar0n Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Why am i using flurry if previous spell was Frostbolt or Ebonbolt ? Does it means the way i handle Flurry procs (so FB-Flurry-IL) Because flurry travels faster than both frostbolt and ebonbolt so the flurry will cause both the pre casted spell and the post cast ice lance to shatter... keep in mind this is referring to insta cast flurry procs, not slowcasting flurry.
Why i'm removing Ebonbolt out of the prio during IV ?
Because of it's slow cast time, burns up too much time during icy veins compared to the dps gained since flurry change it may be ok to cast ebonbolt during your icy veins after your opener
What should i do if i get a BF proc AND i have a FoF proc too?
if you are doing nothing than you would cast ice lance and then frostbolt/flurry/ice lance... if you are chain casting combo's than you would just continue with your frostbolt/flurry/icelance combo and you would get one FoF munched
How about neck enchants or pots ? is there a best one or should i sim myself ?
I use Hidden satyr, and prolonged power

Last edited by t3hbar0n on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juno

Unread postby Juno Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Thank you very much t3hbar0n
Simseh94

Unread postby Simseh94 Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:09 pm

Look above your post just a tiny bit to find your answer. In case that's too hard I've quoted it for you. Also before you ask about the priority or rotation, read the OP on this thread for your answer. Then if you have questions on what to do when you're under Icy Veins just come back to this post.
I see how my message can be misinterpreted. I only meant rotation during icy veins. I did read the rotation as described in the OP, and that is not the issue I am having.
I did not read the comment you quoted though, so thank you for that.
Laere

Unread postby Laere Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:29 pm

@Juno

Alright it looks like you Ebonbolt during IV now because of the insta shatter you can do with it. However since you pre-pull with ebonbolt, you won't even use it during your first IV.

I use Claw enchant for neck and PP for potions. Best to sim the enchants/pots. I am also trying to learn and solidify my knowledge of a lot of this stuff still as I recently have converted permanently to the spec.

Hope this helps.
Sleepymages

Unread postby Sleepymages Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Why am i using flurry if previous spell was Frostbolt or Ebonbolt ? Does it means the way i handle Flurry procs (so FB-Flurry-IL) Because flurry travels faster than both frostbolt and ebonbolt so the flurry will cause both the pre casted spell and the post cast ice lance to shatter... keep in mind this is referring to insta cast flurry procs, not slowcasting flurry.
I think there needs to be a little more explanation here. The ideal to avoid munching procs would be to dump FoF then BF then follow with a "free" IL. Here we add a FB before the BF because the shatter on the FB plus the crit icicle it provides is worth more than the possibility of wasting a generated FoF from that pre-BF FB.

Is that correct?

I would have questioned whether this was actually true when you could be munching a FoF and a BF with that FB cast, but with the recent-ish BF change it seems clear.
t3hbar0n

Unread postby t3hbar0n Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 am

I think there needs to be a little more explanation here. The ideal to avoid munching procs would be to dump FoF then BF then follow with a "free" IL. Here we add a FB before the BF because the shatter on the FB plus the crit icicle it provides is worth more than the possibility of wasting a generated FoF from that pre-BF FB.

Is that correct?

I would have questioned whether this was actually true when you could be munching a FoF and a BF with that FB cast, but with the recent-ish BF change it seems clear.
Well think about it this way... if you are chain casting combinations and you run into a situation where you proc a brain freeze and a fingers of frost and you have already started your next frostbolt cast. You have 3 options here. You could break your frostbolt cast, cast the FoF lance, then go into the frostbolt/flurry/lance combo... this is no good because you lose dps breaking the cast. The 2nd option is that you complete the frostbolt cast, then cast the icelance, then go into the frostbolt/flurry/lance combo... this is no good because if you complete the frostbolt cast and then do not immedietly launch your banked flurry proc, you may have just munched a brain freeze proc, which is more valuable than a FoF proc. Finally, you can just continue your frostbolt cast into your frostbolt/flurry/lance combo... this will munch the FoF proc, but you will not waste time breaking casts, and you will not potentially overwrite a brain freeze proc... Basically you are opting to munch a FoF rather than munch a potential brain freeze proc. This is how I have been handling it, and my target dummy results are within 1% of my sim results.
Xaximbo

Unread postby Xaximbo Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:11 pm

the hardest part of this build is learning how to not waste FoF/ebon bolt procs, the rule im following is if i have x2 stacks of chain reaction and ebonbolt is off c i dump them to prepare for the Fb+flurry+ice lance combo. If not i keep stacking up to 3 and when i get the third charge i dump it to avoid losing an eventual proc.

During IV ebonbolt may not be a dps increase but flurry surely is, it deals 1,5 Million damage or so, is half a GS, worth adding 20% damage.
thedragon123

Glacial spike build opener

Unread postby thedragon123 Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:29 pm

My opener is something like this precast ebonbolt into flurry and then cast icy veins - frozen orb, after that I spam frostbolt and cast all procs I get for FoF and Brain freeze, im not sure if I should be doing that since I only get 1, max 2 glacial spikes in those 20 seconds . Whats proper opener for GS ?
Venno

Re: Glacial spike build opener

Unread postby Venno Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:03 am

My opener is something like this precast ebonbolt into flurry and then cast icy veins - frozen orb, after that I spam frostbolt and cast all procs I get for FoF and Brain freeze, im not sure if I should be doing that since I only get 1, max 2 glacial spikes in those 20 seconds . Whats proper opener for GS ?
Leave frozen orb for after IV ends imo.
Hasufer

Unread postby Hasufer Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:07 pm

A quick question - sry if it's a completely retarded one :D Read the most and starting to get use to frost again.

- Other than freeze from welly, is there someway to make sure GS crit? :P

Also - how much haste would u aim for with GS build? :)
t3hbar0n

Unread postby t3hbar0n Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:05 pm

A quick question - sry if it's a completely retarded one :D Read the most and starting to get use to frost again.

- Other than freeze from welly, is there someway to make sure GS crit? :P

Also - how much haste would u aim for with GS build? :)
Glacial spike build doesn't use water elemental.

you need to sim yourself with your current gear to determine how valuable haste is for you.

Return to “Frost”