Glacial Spike - Updated

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Funkyfire

Re: Glacial Spike - How to Ham 101

Unread postby Funkyfire Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:17 am

How do you guys actually manage your FoF procs during the opener?
I still can't decide between just munching them and pray for good RNG or just using them to shatter FBs.
jimmyboy

Unread postby jimmyboy Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:39 am

Where is the APL? I've looked through the first post several times. Thank you.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:48 am

Given the priority you listed, I am assuming if you have a flurry proc and ebonbolt and GS are ready..you shatter ebonbolt first knowing you'll get another flurry to shatter GS.
I would guess you shatter GS first with the Flurry proc you already have, then Ebon > Flurry to shatter ebon.
wrong, you want to put EB on CD asap, so you EB first then GS,

Doing GS first means you lose 4.5 seconds on the CD of EB, do that 3 times and you've lost 12 seconds on a cd for no reason.
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 pm

So I'm pretty comfortable with GS spec now.

I find it's actually pretty reactive with when to release your BF procs and when not to, I recommend using a Weakaura/tellmewhen to track icicles. Between 0-2 icicles you should release BF procs followed up by by FoF procs if not just a shatterlance. When at 3-4 you should save FoF/BF for a shatter spike, followed by the FoF procs. Managing icicles and BF procs is actually a quite nicejuggling act I have found.

The only I find awkward is the pull and when to Frozen Orb. Opening with Icy Veins, Ebonbolt, Frostbolt>Flurry>IL I am not sure if a Orb straight away is best, or during IV I should just worry about Shattering spikes.

I know with 2PC T20 I'll hold orb until the first shatter spike is available.

Are others doing orb after the pre pull ebonbolt / shatter after it?
itchynose

Unread postby itchynose Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:59 pm

So I'm pretty comfortable with GS spec now.

When at 3-4 you should save FoF/BF for a shatter spike, followed by the FoF procs. Managing icicles and BF procs is actually a quite nicejuggling act I have found.
Don't need to save FoF, your icicles are no longer triggers by IL as per the GS tooltip.

I find the GS spec completely mind numbing due to the low haste levels. If its the go-to spec in ToS, I might go-to a different spec/class or....game.
Nokturno

Unread postby Nokturno Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:02 pm

The munching wasn't due to losing icicles, but more of "if im not casting frostbolt i cant get my flurry proc" during fOrb
Zulandia
Global Moderator

Unread postby Zulandia Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:04 am

Built into the default. Simply select GS and the SimC magic will handle the rest.
Malloree

Unread postby Malloree Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Built into the default. Simply select GS and the SimC magic will handle the rest.
I can't find a parameter in simulationcraft for that.
Igneel

Unread postby Igneel Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:04 pm

can we get a larger trinket list including NH trinkets?
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Has anyone sorted out what the first 4 tier pieces are that we should go for? I assume Helm/cloak/chest/legs if you dont' have the lego helm.
Anzark

Unread postby Anzark Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:29 pm

I can't find a parameter in simulationcraft for that.
It's not a parameter. Ensure glacial spike is the selected talent in-game. Use a /simc import into simcraft. Simcraft will see you have the glacial spike talent and automatically set the correct APL.
nicemagemate

Unread postby nicemagemate Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:50 pm

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/co ... w=timeline" target="_blank

Heya,

would someone mind explaining how this masssssssssive GS crit is possible? I see they're using RoP... is it something to do with the way the dmg is calculated?
zulgohlan

Unread postby zulgohlan Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:20 pm

My actual simed statsweights with following stats 33crit 17haste 44mastery 13vers show haste slightly in front of vers and int, with gap to mastery and at least crit (for shure)
Razlopp

Unread postby Razlopp Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:04 pm

Hey i'll try to drop by and answer questions when I can, I see some are already answering for me god bless their soul. With the next few weeks i'll be pretty busy prepping for mythic so if you dont' see me around here just pm me on discord etc.

Nicemagemate - You're referencing a gs crit when the demon within takes more damage, thus the higher GS crit.

Igneel - I can add stuff like metronome possibly later, I only added relevant ones to show general power. Things such as stargate/burning sky are not really valid on single target encounters which is what these sims are based on.
Mynus

Unread postby Mynus Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks for the guide it was really helpful. I created my own weakauras for Frost as most everything I found was too busy for me. I like clean and simple. Let me know what y'all think about it.

wago.io/E1IRj8CMm
Amerika

Unread postby Amerika Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:33 am

With the lack of procs due to the t19 nerfs and soon to be lack of t19 in general, would it be worth it to not use the auto BF proc from ebonbolt with ebonbolt and instead use it at like 5 icicles just before a GS and immediatly GS/Flurry since GS has an insanely higher DPCT?
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:20 am

Current knowledge says we always want to shatter the ebonbolt. Ebonbolt does a lot of damage, and you need to recognize that the glacial eruption that follows it up can also shatter if the target stands still when shattering ebonbolt. It is possible that at some point shattering GS would be better depending on stats, but for now it's believed that you should always shatter the ebonbolt.
Amerika

Unread postby Amerika Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:36 am

Damn i knew i was missing something...i totally forgot about the eruption that can shatter, ebonbolt alone i would argue doesnt really hit hard if you are comparing it to something like GS, but i totally understand your point with the glacial eruption shattering too. I actually just forgot about it.
zulgohlan

Unread postby zulgohlan Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:43 pm

I actually cast a fb after EB and flurry it and wait till 3 sparkes to save bf for gs

As precast i use EB, and it shows me around 5k more dps in simc, prepot> precast eb> fb> flurry > fbx4> icyviens> GS>flurry> orb
Last edited by zulgohlan on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:45 pm

On Pull I start with IV, FB until BF, Then get 5 icicles, Shatter the bolt, shatter the spike and then drop orb and do normal priority.

Return to “Frost”