Glacial Spike - Updated

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
fungames22

Re: Glacial Spike - How to Ham 101

Unread postby fungames22 Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:35 pm

Like - why is it so hard to test different pieces of gear? All we have is Simcraft and no private servers? This is nuts - this game has been around since 2004.
Srig

Unread postby Srig Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:13 pm

I'm sad. I just simmed GS v. IV at my gear level and it is 4.5% lower dps.
Fanti

Unread postby Fanti Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:21 am

I only dropped frostbolt damage relics during the progress so I decided to try GS out and I find it way more fun than the TV " proc & dump " build while still getting decent logs.
The original post still seems to be pretty accurate except maybe over-evaluating frozen veins traits and the stats seems to be haste>versa=mastery now.
The spec doesn't rely on any specific legendary so you should consider give it a try if you're still fishing for bis in other spec or just looking for something exotic.
magnuskn

Unread postby magnuskn Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Or, y'know, just enjoy the playstyle more, like I do. It seems much nearer to my favorite iteration of Frost during MoP than IV.
rankonemagi

Unread postby rankonemagi Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 am

anyone got a APL for t21?
Andrestes

Unread postby Andrestes Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:01 am

anyone got a APL for t21?
it's baked into the standard APL.
Chulk904

Unread postby Chulk904 Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Is this guide still up to date? Recently hit max and first time playing mage at max.
Razlopp

Re: Glacial Spike - Updated

Unread postby Razlopp Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:34 am

Been busy keeping up with leveling/gearing however the update on the guide has started/basic info is up :)
thaminder

Unread postby thaminder Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:33 am

hey :)

just a quick question about glacial spike:

normally i should not use glacial spike with no brain freeze buff - but what if im not at the shatter cap (crit)?
should i wait for my next brain freeze if ebonbolt not ready or should i just cast it, because brain freeze fishing would be dmg loss if im not getting a procc in 1-2 frostbolts?

ty :P
Maui
Ataraxey

Unread postby Ataraxey Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Is the best use for Ebonbolt with GS to not use it at all except when you get 5 icicles and no BF?

Do you not use EB at all on opener?

With our current crit level (im at 14% at 335), it seems like we will not have to wait long to use EB but I want to make sure the use case is purely for when at 5 icicles and no BF.
Badus

Unread postby Badus Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Flurry now also provides one Icicle, so wouldn't it make more sense to use Ebonbolt after you hit four icicles without a flurry proc. So you get to five with a guaranteed flurry proc and you can use glacial spike with flurry.

Another thing,, atm I am not sure what to do in the case I hit three icicles and a flurry proc. Currently I shatter the next frostbolt and get the two icicles so I can cast glacial spike. Could be wrong but I am playing with the thought to not waste any potential flurry proc. If I would have casted two additional frostbolts I have a 7/16 chance to waste a potential flurry proc. Also with this playstyle I get as many Glacial Spikes as possible. Which is especially helpful in m+ where you can use your elementals frost nove to shatter your glacial spike.
Razlopp

Unread postby Razlopp Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Currently with Ebonbolt it's best to hold for when you're at 4 or 5 icicle stacks. If you have 4 icicles and have a flurry proc you can use the proc from ebonbolt to shatter it. This will allow you to still have a flurry proc for Glacial Spike.

As far as getting a flurry proc while at 3 icicles, you should hold that for Glacial Spike. It's going to be very minor mind you but currently i'd only shatter if I had 2 current icicles and Brain Freeze up.
Badus

Unread postby Badus Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:54 pm

Currently at bossfights I hold the flurry after the third but during trash I use it to get to the Glacial Spike as fast as possible. Should be noted that I currently play with splitting Ice so the Glacial Spike hits two targets, but i'll test comet storm soon.

I just realized my first point was retarded.
Ataraxey

Unread postby Ataraxey Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:29 am

Currently with Ebonbolt it's best to hold for when you're at 4 or 5 icicle stacks. If you have 4 icicles and have a flurry proc you can use the proc from ebonbolt to shatter it. This will allow you to still have a flurry proc for Glacial Spike.

As far as getting a flurry proc while at 3 icicles, you should hold that for Glacial Spike. It's going to be very minor mind you but currently i'd only shatter if I had 2 current icicles and Brain Freeze up.
Do you not use Ebonbolt at all on pull/opener? Not pre-cast either?

If EB is off CD, do you just sit on EB until you get to 5 icicles without a BF?
Sosaria

Unread postby Sosaria Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:15 am

Depends on where you're at when the fight is about to start.

In dungeons, more often than not I'll have 5 icicles ready to go to open with a boss fight. If i DON'T have frozen orb off CD, then I'd open with frostbolt, icyveins, Ebonbolt, GS combo

It'd still go Frostbolt at the start first because there's a chance i'll proc Brain freeze anyway, which means I get to guarantee my next GS combo with the free ebonbolt

On a raid boss fight:
- You're more likely to start with nothing ready (no icicles)
- You're more likely to have all spells off CD ready to go (Icyveins)
- You're more likely to use Lust and pots

Just the fact that you're using Icyveins and Lust means you're throwing out frostbolts so quickly you're almost guaranteed to proc a brain freeze within 5 seconds and throwing out GS combos

And yes, sit on the icicles until 5 for GS... and do so until you get a proc or ebonbolt is up.

(I hope GS doesn't get nerfed because this playstyle is actually fun... It's like a Sunbracer/Pyroclasm Fire mage on steroids)
Ataraxey

Unread postby Ataraxey Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Depends on where you're at when the fight is about to start.

In dungeons, more often than not I'll have 5 icicles ready to go to open with a boss fight. If i DON'T have frozen orb off CD, then I'd open with frostbolt, icyveins, Ebonbolt, GS combo

It'd still go Frostbolt at the start first because there's a chance i'll proc Brain freeze anyway, which means I get to guarantee my next GS combo with the free ebonbolt

On a raid boss fight:
- You're more likely to start with nothing ready (no icicles)
- You're more likely to have all spells off CD ready to go (Icyveins)
- You're more likely to use Lust and pots

Just the fact that you're using Icyveins and Lust means you're throwing out frostbolts so quickly you're almost guaranteed to proc a brain freeze within 5 seconds and throwing out GS combos

And yes, sit on the icicles until 5 for GS... and do so until you get a proc or ebonbolt is up.

(I hope GS doesn't get nerfed because this playstyle is actually fun... It's like a Sunbracer/Pyroclasm Fire mage on steroids)
Gotcha, yeah im mainly asking for fresh boss fights/raid encounters with no starting icicles and everything up.

In that case, it sounds like its best to not use EB on opener and if you get a BF at 3+ icicles to save it for the next GS cycle if you dont get a BF at 3+.
Razlopp

Unread postby Razlopp Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Correct no Ebonbolt on opener. Feels a little weird but you'll see 50k plus glacial spikes instead of guaranteed 20k crit on ebonbolt.
burningflame75

Unread postby burningflame75 Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:53 pm

Asking this again (asked during beta on Julia's thread), partly because things may have changed, but mainly because I constantly find myself in this situation and wondering what the best thing is.

Lets say you're sitting at 5 icicles, waiting for BF to proc. EB just came off CD, so now you queue EB, however, the final frostbolt resulted in BF proc. Do we stop the EB cast and proceed with GS->Flurry->IL, or, do we EB->Flurry->IL->GS->Flurry->IL to avoid that downtime?

My second question isn't as important at the moment, more for long term throughout the xpac. Will Frozen Touch eventually beat out EB with enough haste? My line of reasoning here is that with more haste, we will be casting more FB within a single EB CD, therefore more flurry procs in that same amount of time. If they are tied now, it seems like there's no reason Frozen Touch shouldn't beat out EB eventually, right? Personally, I much prefer playing with Frozen Touch, EbonBolt just feels weak and it often sits on CD for a long period.

Thanks Razlopp!!!
Sosaria

Unread postby Sosaria Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:37 am

If you're at 5 icicles, EB is queued, but BF procced because of your last frostbolt, it is a dps increase if you can cancel the EB queue and go straight into the GS combo within 300ms reaction time. That translates to just under half a second (you have to be really quick). There was a thread about this somewhere in Discord.

I sometimes wonder if Frozen Touch is the go-to talent even now in mythic dungeons... I agree with you that I'm sitting on Ebonbolt for long durations too which seems wasteful.

The sims were done with the patchwerk scenario in mind, so it's assumed you're casting ebonbolt everytime it's off CD with 5 icicles. It's not always optimal to do this in every scenario (eg, wanting to hold the GS combo to burst an add or something)

However, note that with Frozen Touch you're spending more time casting Ice Lance procs, when that time can be used to fish BF via frostbolts and also building icicles.... so that might be a balancing factor compared to GS.
Rexdan

Unread postby Rexdan Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Small tip as well for trash mobs, if you stand close (or cast using Ice Floes) and cast Glacial Spike without a BF you can immediatly Frost Nova after the cast (need to be quick) and the GP will be affected by Shatter.
edit: also works for pet frost nova ofc

Return to “Frost”