Glacial Spike - Updated

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Zotix

Re: Glacial Spike - How to Ham 101

Unread postby Zotix Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:45 am

It is pretty insane how this build scales. My frost is long neglected, with only 35 traits, but 35-54 is 9.5%. Meanwhile, my 892 frost gear with "similarly" distributed stats as Raz, sims 170k DPS lower with this APL.
I mean, wow. I only have a (lol) 904 Ebonchill, but still...

EDIT: Frost Mage: Comet Storm damage increase went from 24% to 30%, and damage of most spells increased by 4%

Guess its time to grind frost to 54....
I'm confused by this post. You mentioned scaling but you are simming 170k lower than OP. Are you saying those 18 traits or 9% damage is going to actualize into 170k dps?
Mage

Unread postby Mage Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:17 am

He posted his gear in the APL. It is simming 170k higher with 7 ilvls overall over my frost gear with 35 traits. It is simming 50k higher than my arcane that is 2 ilvls below him and 54 traits. Scale factors are 50% higher than my arcane.
Rabona

Unread postby Rabona Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks a lot for the guide!
Vexim

Unread postby Vexim Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Cheers for the guide Raz.
Gonna try this tomorrow night on H NH farm, TV spec has been rather lackluster for me coming into the patch and finding my simC for TV grossly inflated to what i can pull off in raid.
Here's to hoping on getting some consistency around this spec. :)
rankonemagi

Unread postby rankonemagi Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:01 pm

how do i plug your profile into simc? :oops: pretty much a simc novice here.
Pouponu

Unread postby Pouponu Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:17 pm

I have a few quick questions. How do you determine the point at which you can be effective with the Glacial Spike build (ilvl, secondary stats, etc)? Same question, but for Lonely Winter, what point is it better to go Lonely Winter? Last one (more of a general mage question)......When using Incanter's Flow, how is the damage boost calculated...is it at the point of beginning to cast, when the cast completes, or when the spell lands on the target?

I just swapped my main back to my frost mage and am playing catch up. The positive side of that is the fact that I've hit a good iLvl, but haven't REALLY started itemizing for secondary stats from a fine tuning perspective, so I can itemize towards the build I want to play, rather than re-itemizing from a build already deep in the haste hole.
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Unread postby Norrinir Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Incanter's Flow is applied when the spell lands (for basically all Frost spells) or when the cast is finished (for Arcane/Fire).
Uaeko

Unread postby Uaeko Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:22 pm

Thanks for the info.

Simming for my GS lovin wife. ;)

Gets the same results as a user above with her 875 gear of : Int > Crit ~= Vers ~= Haste > Mastery

Which I would assume means she needs to get high iLvL and more value from Crit/Vers/Haste and maintain he ~70% Mastery.

Or did I eff up the sim? I did use the shared APL from the OP.
Razlopp

Unread postby Razlopp Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:43 pm

Thanks for the info.

Gets the same results as a user above with her 875 gear of : Int > Crit ~= Vers ~= Haste > Mastery

Which I would assume means she needs to get high iLvL and more value from Crit/Vers/Haste and maintain he ~70% Mastery.

It's all a balancing act, you want to get crit semi near (33%) it starts to get devalued as you get closer, then mastery/vers take the show. I'm guessing int is the highest because of artifact traits/relics.
Uaeko

Unread postby Uaeko Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Gracias. Is what I thought from some research.

Need to get a couple stat sticks. TO help the Int value. Meh. Trinkets are boring this xpac.

Will compare when the nightly build gets dropped with the 4% buffs.
Voreg

Unread postby Voreg Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:24 am

Yo interested in this hugely.

Just a few things before you type up.

Ice lance is wrecking, do we cast this with fingers as priority over frostbolt or does there need to be two targets? Also during Icy-veins do we prioritise Frostbolt and glacials or can we still do icelances? Do we pre-cast ebonbolt?

Is frostbolt relic still top? Whats second.

I imagine 2-set really helps this talent build.
Bumping for this to be answered.
Razlopp

Unread postby Razlopp Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:33 am

Ice lance is wrecking, do we cast this with fingers as priority over frostbolt or does there need to be two targets? Also during Icy-veins do we prioritise Frostbolt and glacials or can we still do icelances? Do we pre-cast ebonbolt?

- Ice lance with procs during icy veins. Unless it will cost you a glacial inside Icy Veins. And Yes pre-cast Ebonbolt.

-Yes frostbolt relic is still top, second is icelance or flurry damage depending on 2set. I have a list posted now :)

-and yes 2 set is great, 4set isn't too important :)
t3hbar0n

Unread postby t3hbar0n Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:40 am

- Ice lance with procs during icy veins. Unless it will cost you a glacial inside Icy Veins. And Yes pre-cast Ebonbolt.

-Yes frostbolt relic is still top, second is icelance or flurry damage depending on 2set. I have a list posted now :)

-and yes 2 set is great, 4set isn't too important :)
Was messing around with this on the dummy, and even with my horrible optimized gear for the spec it was doing pretty well. Follow up question for the burst phase, where do brain freeze/flurry procs fall into the priority... are they to be dumped after your FoF lances using the frostbolt/flurry/lance combo, or should I just be dumping lances, glacial spikes, and save the flurry proc for after burst?
Ariandielle

Unread postby Ariandielle Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:52 am

Does anyone know if GS can be shattered with flurry now? I know the answer used to be no, but after the 23rd, and the hotfix, I seem to be critting with GS after flurry much more than before. (Could be rng, but it seems suspicious)
Searix

Unread postby Searix Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:09 am

Trinket List [Base 885]
TL:DR: Get Whispers/Metronome/Stat stick
Sim yourself for other variations of trinkets, this is just a quick glance!
was asked for 900 trinkets full list and was asked to do GS, so i did it with your profile hamhams :)

http://pastebin.com/wJKWPeBP" target="_blank
Omnomnoms

Unread postby Omnomnoms Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:27 pm

I've currently sitting at around 894 equipped, with both Vash and Zannesu. My sims for TV/BC are around 600k and i can get about 550k on the dummies

I've tried your profile for glacial and it seems to massively over weigh haste for me, im not sure if im messing up the profile but im interested in the build because the scaling seems to be alot stronger than TV/BC.

by switching around my gear i sim for about 630k in GS but on the dummy im getting about 450k. Im guessing that the frotbolt relics effect the scaling alot, but at the moment the spec feels weak in my current gear. I feel like for this kinda of build you really need the right gear to make it worth while.
Last edited by Omnomnoms on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaximbo

Unread postby Xaximbo Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks for the info.

This is exactly the stat weights i am getting at 884 ilvl equipped and 36 traits, i have 32% crit, 50% mastery and 22% haste. Im trying to replace the mastery items with crit/versa ones (hopefully NH is full of versa) but what should i do with mastery equipment? It seems i'm not yet on the breakpoint but for example if i achieve it at 890 ilvl what would happen? i should be rolling for 900+ ilvl pieces of gear that include mastery+versatility while keeping the 33% crit??

Seems so difficult to achieve.
Vexim

Unread postby Vexim Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:03 pm

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/co ... ight=36,47" target="_blank

Loving GS, find it much more consistant and easier to play.
:)
Logs have same bosses, TV on the right, GS on the left.
In TV's defense i was playing around with different talents.
Sambabwe

Unread postby Sambabwe Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:02 am

Tried running 2nd HC clear with this build and yes it gave very positive results, even though my gear wasn't optimised for playing the spec. I was able to out preform most of my TV logs and the spec felt like having a lot more potential than regular build. Looking forward to play this spec with more optimised gear and fully upgraded artifact.

Here are my logs where u can see which bosses GS outperformed TV, though some fights i messed up or died.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 320/latest" target="_blank

Also, I'm having the same issue with simcraft giving me quite odd stat weights when running OP's APL for my character.

Pawn: v1: "Sambabwe": Intellect=13.74, CritRating=14.59, HasteRating=14.25, MasteryRating=12.69, Versatility=13.52
Poosh

Unread postby Poosh Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:25 am

Im glad someone made something for this spec, this spec can be insane!

Return to “Frost”