Frost change 7.2.5

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Xinder

Re: Frost change 7.2.5

Unread postby Xinder Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:22 pm

and that they want LW to be below the other options in that tier.
Do you have a source for this?
Designing a talent to be intentionally worst in a given row goes 100% against their philosophy of "choice vs mandatory".
I personally liked that as you got higher gear levels you could start moving to LW and away from BC. I don't mind pet management but after 7.2 and having a hard time tracking CDs with weakauras for Water ele shit it's not really fun to roll with a pet and I love LW more.
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Unread postby Norrinir Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Didn't manage to find a source for that, that was long time ago, back in beta I think.

Anyways, I don't see a problem there. Effort vs reward and all. If you pick a talent that reduces the complexity of your spec, you should expect to do slightly less damage (and vice versa).
Lahrast

Unread postby Lahrast Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Didn't manage to find a source for that, that was long time ago, back in beta I think.

Anyways, I don't see a problem there. Effort vs reward and all. If you pick a talent that reduces the complexity of your spec, you should expect to do slightly less damage (and vice versa).
they also said they would not nerf a spec mit-raid so all the AP would be wasted, i take nothing serious they say in terms of class tuning tbh
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Unread postby Norrinir Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:01 am

Okay, but if you want to have a discussion about possible changes in 7.2.5, you can't just ignore what they said (sure, they don't have a good track record, but you won't have a conversation otherwise).
Sobtainer

Unread postby Sobtainer Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:23 am

guys, we have buff in 7.2.5 :-)

Code: Select all

Cone of Cold damage increased by 170%
i was wondering some time ago about damage of cone of cold and wuala, we have buff :-)
Dyalia

Unread postby Dyalia Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:59 pm

The notes also say they're upping the damage of most frost spells by about 20%. Compensation for IV uptime loss?

I guess they want to take away the fun part of playing TV frost mage, while also removing the skill gap of the play style.
Thats what they did with fire too. They really force the way THEY want us to play the game, instead of listening how WE want to play their game, and thats really not a new phenomenon. It shows in the whole game too, not just in classdesign. It's stupid. :roll:
Texhex

Unread postby Texhex Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:28 pm

Flurry Unleash a flurry of ice shards, striking the target 3 times for a total of [ 3 + 534.6% of Spell Power ] Frost damage. Each shard hit reduces the target's movement speed by 70% for 1 sec. While Brain Freeze is active, Flurry applies Winter's Chill to the target. Mage - Frost Spec. 1% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. Instant.

is this the possible double ice lance killer or just a description change? if yes, then combined with the thermal void change this more or less means the death to thermal void build i guess, or?
Eyliria

Unread postby Eyliria Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 pm

Flurry Unleash a flurry of ice shards, striking the target 3 times for a total of [ 3 + 534.6% of Spell Power ] Frost damage. Each shard hit reduces the target's movement speed by 70% for 1 sec. While Brain Freeze is active, Flurry applies Winter's Chill to the target. Mage - Frost Spec. 1% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. Instant.

is this the possible double ice lance killer or just a description change? if yes, then combined with the thermal void change this more or less means the death to thermal void build i guess, or?
I'll test this as soon as I get home and the PTR is playable but... there's something else in there.
Look at the cast time. It's instant now, baseline.

That's... uhm... interesting.
sawbossnl

Unread postby sawbossnl Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 pm

If im right than flurry is applyed 3 seconds on the boss now so i suppose you can dublle ice lance even without the high haste people atm have ??? Tell me if im wrong they fixed the dubble il so every one can use it i assume and not only those who have the brains and skills for it
Eyliria

Unread postby Eyliria Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:49 pm

I'm on the PTR. First things first.

The MMO-Champion Datamining is incorrect when it says Flurry is now Instant cast as a baseline. It isn't. It retains its 3 second cast time when not under brain freeze.

Double Ice Lance remains.
ColdasIce

Unread postby ColdasIce Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:08 am

Can confirm 2xIL is still a thing, for better or worse.
Last edited by ColdasIce on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sigil

Unread postby Sigil Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:44 am

so what mechanically has actually changed?

The description implies a change in the way it interacts with Brain Freeze...but its not really clear whats going on?
Eyliria

Unread postby Eyliria Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:07 am

Nothing has changed mechanically.
They just made it 'clearer' by adding that piece of information onto the spell tooltip (since I guess not a lot of people will read Brain Freeze's)
Makz

Unread postby Makz Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:10 am

I'll test this as soon as I get home and the PTR is playable but... there's something else in there.
Look at the cast time. It's instant now, baseline.

That's... uhm... interesting.
Instant cast time is probably based on when you have BF up, then its instant.
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface
Texhex

Unread postby Texhex Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 am

lets just assume blizzard manages to kill the double ice lance before or during tomb(which they clearly 100% want to, because its unintended and not everyone can benefit from it).
With the thermal void changes this would more or less mean, that GS spec will surpass TV, especially, when people also stop playing with NH 2set (less brainfreeze less icelances).
i dont know how much of a dps loss that would be overall for frost, but i am abit afraid, that then frost will be in the state it was during EN, mediocre at ST and crap at everything else.
Nemo

Unread postby Nemo Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:55 am

With the thermal void changes this would more or less mean, that GS spec will surpass TV, especially, when people also stop playing with NH 2set (less brainfreeze less icelances).
Why would people stop using 2set? My plan so far is to keep NH 2set + ToS 4set for the crazy sinergy. I havent really made the sims yet but id assume that to outweight the current bonus the ilvl difference must be around 30+ ilvls per item.
Eyliria

Unread postby Eyliria Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Because if blizzard is smart, and for everyone's sake, they'll make sure we can't crossmatch tier pieces, or at least nerf NH tier bonuses to some degree after Tomb has been out for a while.

2+4pc kills most legendary combos (makes it so we are essentially stuck with jewelry/bracer combos, eliminating everything else), and forcing people to farm nighthold hoping for titanforged pieces ad eternum.

No thank you - while it's an interesting thought (the synergy between tier pieces), I find it to be too detrimental to the health of everything else, honestly.
Texhex

Unread postby Texhex Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:44 pm

Because if blizzard is smart, and for everyone's sake, they'll make sure we can't crossmatch tier pieces, or at least nerf NH tier bonuses to some degree after Tomb has been out for a while.

2+4pc kills most legendary combos (makes it so we are essentially stuck with jewelry/bracer combos, eliminating everything else), and forcing people to farm nighthold hoping for titanforged pieces ad eternum.

No thank you - while it's an interesting thought (the synergy between tier pieces), I find it to be too detrimental to the health of everything else, honestly.
100% my thoughts aswell
Arandomperson

Unread postby Arandomperson Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:17 am

Honestly I think they are trying to do to frostmages the exact opposite of what they did to firemages with the rework.
Frontload more dmg with the incredibly powerful tomb tierset and reduce sustain with the talent nerf.
Makz

Unread postby Makz Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:34 am

Crosstiers, while not as popular in later expansions, was always working within the expansions scope iirc. Also new legendaries are coming with 7.2.5. And bracers being one of the strongest leggos atm does not interfere with wearing both sets. Frost's make or break is based on procs, thus taking away 10% BF proc via nerf would be painful. I would like to see a new frost legendary perhaps letting you double IL(if it goes away).
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface

Return to “Frost”