IceTime plus Sephuz combo

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Subsmage

IceTime plus Sephuz combo

Unread postby Subsmage Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Hey guys, First time poster here but I need expert advise.

So far I have been blessed with:

Prydaz
Belovir
Sephuz
Kil Jaeden

And finally 2 days I got my first spec specific frost legendary BUUUTT it was Icetime.
I checked the frostmage guide on this forum and it's listed as the worst frost legendary.

I was ready to put it in the bank or use it for some M+, but last night when I tested it in our raid ,I found out something peculiar. The frost nova from icetime procs my sephuz ring on raid bosses.
Now my normal frostnova or any other form of cc doesn't work on raidbosses to proc sephuz.

So my question is:
Could it be that the Sephuz + Icetime combo is a bit underrated in the legendary list?
Because a guaranteed Sephuz proc (25% haste) every 40-60 seconds seems not so bad to me.

I tried to sim this but my knowledge of the simulation program is to weak to find out the answer.
SSherlock

Re: IceTime plus Sephuz combo

Unread postby SSherlock Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:38 pm

It really depends if you can effectively use the sephuz's proc. If you're able to use the proc + current haste buffs to help double ice lance - then sure, otherwise i don't think this combo is worth it.

At this point, I'd suggest sticking with sephuz / chest or prydaz.
Subsmage

Unread postby Subsmage Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:19 pm

My reasoning is:

Shard of the exodar sims as almost BiS for frost. Why?
For the 40 seconds of 30% extra haste.

IceTime makes my ring proc about 6 times on a 5 minute fight:
That means 60 Seconds of 25% extra haste.

What makes this even better is that it procs more regularly and open more double icelance windows.
Not to mention, 60 seconds of 70% movement speed which certainly can't be bad either.

So if shard is so good then this combo should be good as well?
The biggest downside of sephuz in raids is that you can't make it proc on raid bosses on demand.
You need adds to interupt to make that happen.
Thanks to icetime this solves that issue.
Imaskar

Unread postby Imaskar Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:05 pm

But the shard takes one slot, and combo takes two.
Subsmage

Unread postby Subsmage Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Yep,

And that's why I listed all my legendaries and asked for advice for my perticalur case.
Because I don't have Shard, wrist or gloves.

According to sims I should be wearing Belovir and Sephuz, but the sims don't seem to be accounting for the proc of sephuz with icetime.
Emmeh

Unread postby Emmeh Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:06 pm

The intellect gain from the chest outperform shoulders any dag.
Don't trust anything that bleeds for one week and doesn't die.
SSherlock

Unread postby SSherlock Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:00 pm

My reasoning is:

Shard of the exodar sims as almost BiS for frost. Why?
For the 40 seconds of 30% extra haste.

IceTime makes my ring proc about 6 times on a 5 minute fight:
That means 60 Seconds of 25% extra haste.

What makes this even better is that it procs more regularly and open more double icelance windows.
Not to mention, 60 seconds of 70% movement speed which certainly can't be bad either.

So if shard is so good then this combo should be good as well?
The biggest downside of sephuz in raids is that you can't make it proc on raid bosses on demand.
You need adds to interupt to make that happen.
Thanks to icetime this solves that issue.

Maybe when tomb comes out this will become more of a viable combo. Brain freeze reducing cd on orb / add fight, you'll see more uptime of Sephuz than what is currently possible with this combo in nighthold. On fights where you can get your orb to reset to 30 seconds, then I think Ice time/sephuz is a good combo. Otherwise I'd just use chest/sephuz. If you can 2x IL then having extra opportunities to extend IV is always good.

Idk what chest or shoulders you have to swap around, but I think the main reason why Bolv sims higher than ice time is because the chest has a higher budget for primary stats than shoulders. IE 900 ilvl chest has more int than 900 ilvl Shoulders. Also the added mastery helps.
Sigil

Unread postby Sigil Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:43 am

The intellect gain from the chest outperform shoulders any dag.

I'm not so sure...I have all three legendaries discussed (Sephuz, Ice Time and Belovirs)
Here are my stats with Belovirs
INT 45,810
CRIT 25%
HASTE 30%
VERS 8%

Here they are with Ice Time instead, marginally lower...
INT 45,501
CRIT 24%
HASTE 29%
VERS 8%

With Ice Time however on my last H-Krosus logs I'm procing Sephuz 6 times, netting total 60s total time with an extra 25% haste.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/nX ... ffs=208052" target="_blank

I don't know...my gut feel is telling me the Sephuz procs on a boss that doesn't normally proc it is pretty strong...
PS: don't knock those logs....I got hit by Orb of Destruction 4 times basically screwing over IV....
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am

Your crit seems to be really low. You might want to take a look at your stat weights.
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Your crit seems to be really low. You might want to take a look at your stat weights.
He's probably just poorly itemized. Nighthold has very, very poor gearing options for frost mages. I've been forced all the way down to 22-23% crit, because high item level items have dropped for me, which are dps increases, even though I lose out on crit I desperately need (namely rings and a necklace). Legendaries can lock us into wearing tier pieces which are itemized poorly, and generally everything has bad stats on them anyways (has mastery, or has no crit, or only has a little bit of crit, etc). The only way to realistically itemize well, would be to farm M+ items. Especially since many guilds have stopped clearing heroic/mythic EN and ToV, which has pieces of gear we would ideally want to wear.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:41 am

Actually, I think you might have been on to something big. Take a look a this parse guys: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/aj ... &source=59" target="_blank

This is the #17 (as of 24.04.2017) highest ranked mage on Tichondrius Mythic, the second highest ranked frostmage overall, doing a staggering 1853K DPS at ilvl 908 only. The Frost Nova from the shoulders alone accounted for about 10% of his damage, but he was also able to trigger Sephuz 8 times. Even more impressive (and quite insightful, as you can directly compare the logs) is that he beat his guild mate in the same run, another frost mage at ilvl 912 with gloves, bracers and 8 more ilvls in his weapon.

I'll definitely try this out tomorrow evening.
Imaskar

Unread postby Imaskar Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:32 am

They just kept blood under the boss. This is not relevant to any progression.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Your analysis of the replay is spot on. Your conclusion isn't. Furthermore, I don't think disregarding untested potential for optimization is a healthy attitude towards progression to begin with.

I doubt many people have seriously tried this combination for progress. I'll do just that and report back with my findings. Maybe you could do the same and we compare our results afterwards?
Subsmage

Unread postby Subsmage Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Someone already did the sims for live and 7.2.5 with the TV nerf:

http://imgur.com/GhyaUiN
http://i.imgur.com/WTGSdnI.png

Seems like Sephuze and icetime is a strong combo.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:50 am

Someone already did the sims for live and 7.2.5 with the TV nerf:

http://imgur.com/GhyaUiN
http://i.imgur.com/WTGSdnI.png

Seems like Sephuze and icetime is a strong combo.
The chart only shows sephuz to be strong, not a sephyz_icetime combo.
Cames

Unread postby Cames Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:36 pm

The time on Frozen Orb is a maximum of 60 seconds. So Sephuz + Ice Time guarantees a 60 second proc. So, yes that is a combo....
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:40 pm

I think what he was referring to was whether or not the simulations were done by only exchanging one legendary per simulation. To draw meaningful conclusions you'd have to simulate all combinations of two legendaries each, adjusting for optimal gear around their stat values. Not an easy task to do, but actually a calculation that could be quite insightful.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:19 pm

They are single legendary sims. The cost of running Ice Time, an otherwise very weak legendary, just to proc sephuz is not taken into account there; which really is the most important part of the question. As of last night the sim should be procing Sephuz off Ice Time nova (as it does in game). Running the comparison sims should be trivial now.
Subsmage

Unread postby Subsmage Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:27 am

True, but I never suggested to hand in mags bracers and vash gloves or shard for this.

Like I stated in my opening post , I don't have any of those 3.
So for me, icetime and sephuz seems a viable alternative untill I got one of those 3.
Beats bel'ovir or prydaz by a significant margin in my case.

That's why I made the post in the first case, don't look at the individual legendaries because the combination of ice time and sephuz is not simmed and it might turn out better for some people then other legendary combo's.
3lorian

Unread postby 3lorian Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 pm

According to some posts on MMO icetime/sephuz is how by to be pretty insane in 7.2.5
Looks like the best combos will be shard/helm icetime/sephuz shard/icetime and shard/sephuz

Pretty interesting (GS build)

Return to “Frost”