Reviving the Ray

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Katsumi

Reviving the Ray

Unread postby Katsumi Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:04 am

Hey there,

I tinkered a little bit with a ray build, which is performing nicely in M+ and does a hell of a lot of ST burst damage. I'm using Nightwell Arcanum, Sephuz, WitD (Whispers in the Dark, a Trinket from Gul'Dan) and a 922 ilvl weapon. Gear stats are 48K int, 32%/32%/28%/5% at ilvl 910. Key to max dps is playing around WitD procs, triggering Sephuz with the pet nova on top of it. Here's what the build is capable of (on a dummy):

Image link: http://imgur.com/dFY7yIr" target="_blank
Video link (different try): https://youtu.be/kd17rgBTjZY" target="_blank

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts how to get more dps out of the ray and look forward to anyone challenging this high score. :D
Last edited by Katsumi on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Subsmage

Re: Reviving the Ray

Unread postby Subsmage Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:20 am

Nice work.
I love people who try to experiment with stuff like this.
Sure , it will only have niche uses because it synergizes so bad with TV and needs Rune of Power.
But people should investigate stuff like that more to find some fun applications.

Do you happen to know the breakpoints for the ticks of Ray?
The only ones I found are:

34% is the 0.7 sec breakpoint
50% is the 0.6 sec breakpoint
82% is the 0.5 sec breakpoint
Imaskar

Unread postby Imaskar Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:27 am

Well, during the first 84m even fire does nice job. What's it capable of? High ST while available to spec Comet Storm?
I imagine you can YOLO lfr krosus with that, but apart from that... idk.
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Unread postby Norrinir Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Nice work.
I love people who try to experiment with stuff like this.
Sure , it will only have niche uses because it synergizes so bad with TV and needs Rune of Power.
But people should investigate stuff like that more to find some fun applications.

Do you happen to know the breakpoints for the ticks of Ray?
The only ones I found are:

34% is the 0.7 sec breakpoint
50% is the 0.6 sec breakpoint
82% is the 0.5 sec breakpoint
Ray of Frost doesn't have haste breakpoints.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:52 pm

My apologies for not adding more details.

First of all, let me state that my experiments are inspired by Raddley's work. I strongly suggest his video guide on how to play with a Ray build, which I still find very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQVeTZ21Jq8" target="_blank

The video also includes information on haste breakpoints around 4:28, but I'm not sure if that's still accurate. I haven't found any info yet on breakpoints around 40ish ticks. Edit: I assume you mean the number of completed ticks. Depending on your haste the last one might be a partial. There's no need to worry about breakpoints when it comes to the total DPS.

That being said, I see two applications for this build.

One is to provide ST burst damage in M+ to nuke priority adds. You can proc Sephuz with your pet's nova reliably and consistently on cooldown and you'll be able to line up every second Sephuz proc with a ray channel and a rune. If you have at least one IV relic you'll also be able to line up every second Ray channel with both a Sephuz proc as well as the IV damage buff. What I do on trash is to drop a Rune, then use my burst macro of IV+Ray while I cast my pet's nova on the target at the same time. After the channel I immediately drop the second rune. Since I triggered Sephuz with a nova, depending on the group size I'll have between 1 and 3 procs, which I then dump before following it up with an ebonbolt into a double ice lance. After that, all priority adds are dead and I move on to AOE. I continue with frozen orb into the aoe rotation and proc Sephuz as soon as it's ready, again with the nova. Whether or not I can extend IV into the next ray is up to RNG, but since every instance has different timings I don't worry too much about it actually. The DPS during trash is primarily done by aligning the ray with the procs, not by keeping up IV at all cost. I'm happy if I can reach the second ray after I've successfully covered both my ST an AOE cooldowns with it.

The second is to provide high ST damage during comparatively short boss fights. This mainly applies to M+ bosses. The build might work for serious raid fights, but the rotation is extremely punishing and playing with the ray is a no-go on bosses with high movement. To be honest, I'm still working on it. It's also not advisable if you can't proc Sephuz reliably. However, on any boss on farm status that dies within three minutes you can have great fun with it. I completely destroy our other DPS if WitD procs when I start channelling.

Regarding legendaries, I basically run two sets. On trash I'm playing with Sephuz and Zann'esu, which both synergize very well. On bosses I'm playing with Shard and Norgannon's. The boots are almost mandatory for this build, not because of their stats but because the Norgannon's proc allows you to keep channelling the ray if you have to move. That eliminates the main downside of the build, which is the lack of mobility during the burst phase.

What I'm still struggling with is to find the optimal rotation. Raddley suggested a fairly optimized rotation, but that was before the introduction of WitD as well as without the inclusion of Sephuz into the rotation. The problem is that ideally you'd want to throw out all of your ice lance generators early, but if the trinket procs at any time within the first 20 seconds you immediately have to drop a rune and start channelling. You essentially face a tradeoff between delaying cooldowns and munching procs.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Katsu.
Makz

Unread postby Makz Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:02 pm

One is to provide ST burst damage in M+ to nuke priority adds.
I always hoped Ray build in M+ would pick up, I mean 1 boss in M+ on high tyrannical has about 300-350 Mil HP, chopping off almost 1/3 of that in a few seconds is huge. The only problem I see is reproducing it for each boss. Thank you for doing the research!
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface
Subsmage

Unread postby Subsmage Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Something worth noting perhaps.

I made a previous post about Icetime shoulders proccing sephuz on every frozen orb on raid bosses.
Frozen orb has a 1 minute cd and so does ray of frost, so it's possible to sync sephuz with ray reliably.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:26 am

I have the shoulders as well and actually tried playing around it. While it is possible, you're using two legendary slots for an interaction that is only worth one. The shoulders need a major overhaul to be of any use (outside of the frost mage challenge, where they are insanely strong).

Furthermore, Sephuz is being procced at the end of the orb (when it explodes), making it both difficult to synchronize and unlikely that you wont have a proc of the trinket or the 2-set before that. It would surely be nice if it would proc at the beginning, but even then the combination of both items would still be far superior to the Shard alone.

Return to “Frost”