GS built or TV built

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
AaronWilson

Re: GS built or TV built

Unread postby AaronWilson Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:52 pm

In the opener and even in the GS build it's typically expected you're shattering your Ebonbolt. So it should always be shattering ebonbolt, not casting it and then using it's BF proc like you would a standard one as part of the rotation.
Does flurry travel faster then the ebonbolt? If so ignore the above and just frostbolt for Brainfreeze, shatter the ebonbolt then use the BF to shatter GS
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Unread postby Norrinir Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Flurry does travel faster than Ebonbolt, but it's certainly not fast enough to allow you to get another GCD between Ebonbolt and Flurry.
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:58 am

Did a HC NH Farm run last night. (We killed HC Gul'Dan/Elisande at the end of our mythic progression raid Thursday)

HC Skorp the 3 frost mages sat at around 1.5mil - 9th
HC Chromatic - 827k - 3rd
HC Triliax - 708k - 3rd
HC Spellblade - 971k - 1st
HC Tichondrius - 936k - 5th
HC Botanist - 800k 8th (I derped, died to solar collapse and then got Bresd, screwed with my DPS)
HC Krosus - 750k - 4th

I am using GS. I think it's stronger then TV bar a few fights (Star Augur & Krosus maybe, purely due to lack of cleave) and will scale better then TV. I would go with GS.
Ionchannel

Unread postby Ionchannel Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Does this also mean (if one goes for the GS built) that besides gloves bracers als lose value? Since you won't be lancing as much as you would while using the TV built?
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Does this also mean (if one goes for the GS built) that besides gloves bracers als lose value? Since you won't be lancing as much as you would while using the TV built?
You have to sim your self. Shard is still BiS regardless, But I've seen people have success with Shard/Kil'jeaden, Shard/Magtheridons and Shard/Gloves etc. Sim yourself to find your optimum load out.
Ionchannel

Unread postby Ionchannel Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:32 pm

You have to sim your self. Shard is still BiS regardless, But I've seen people have success with Shard/Kil'jeaden, Shard/Magtheridons and Shard/Gloves etc. Sim yourself to find your optimum load out.
Yeah will do, so many options :)..Was just thinking theorizing a bit since everybody is talking about the indirect nerf to gloves due to IV changes as well as the double IL removal (outside shimmerlance) I would argue bracers also suffer from these changes since focus shifts from the IL more to the shatter GS. I mean, empowered IL still makes up for a large portion of your dmg but the big question will be: can we maintain the bracer buff if we need to postpone for shatter GS. Or am I wrong thinking this?
Falq

Unread postby Falq Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Yeah will do, so many options :)..Was just thinking theorizing a bit since everybody is talking about the indirect nerf to gloves due to IV changes as well as the double IL removal (outside shimmerlance) I would argue bracers also suffer from these changes since focus shifts from the IL more to the shatter GS. I mean, empowered IL still makes up for a large portion of your dmg but the big question will be: can we maintain the bracer buff if we need to postpone for shatter GS. Or am I wrong thinking this?
I think you are right, or this will have higher skill cap to decide whether use flurry now and keep bracers buff up or shatter GS because it some situations it may be better to use it asap to keep bracers up. In this situation sim could make great difference aswell because it will always choose correctly but you may not which can result in huge dps loss. GS spec is awesome for new mages because it doesn't scale with legendaries that much. As mentioned in this post, Helm/Shard is bis but they are not needed, if you going for IV build you basically need bracers to do DPS but in GS all:

Helm / Shard / Bracers / Chest / Prydaz are fine.

Only gloves are kinda useless because they give you nothing (2 FoF procs every ~3 mins WoW) and makes you unable to wear t20(4) + t19(2) set bonus. I'd say when you go into ToS either wear Shard + Helm or aim for t20(4) + t19(2) set bonus. GS scales highly with secondary stats so things like Prydaz / Belo'vir are very good about of huge amount of them from higher ilvl they got
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 pm

The GS Guide thread has a lego sim list in it and Helm/Shard plus 4 pc T20 are top dps. While 6PC T19/T20 and Shard/Bracers simming very close to it in dmg.
Last edited by Xinder on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falq

Unread postby Falq Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:22 am

The GS Guide thread has a lego sim list in it and Helm/Shard are top with 6PC T19/T20 plus Shard/Bracers simming very close to it.
How can you get 6 PC with legendary Helm? :D
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 am

The GS Guide thread has a lego sim list in it and Helm/Shard are top with 6PC T19/T20 plus Shard/Bracers simming very close to it.
How can you get 6 PC with legendary Helm? :D
he meant "helm + 4pt20" > "2pt19/4pct20 + shard/bracer"
It's just awkwardly worded.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Yeah my apologies. I was typing on my tablet without its keyboard. Nick is correct, I meant two different set ups. I fixed my original post.
Vyro

Unread postby Vyro Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:41 am

I would like to play GS or at least try it...

I simmed myself a lot of times (like after every item i got this week) i allways end up with like 50-80k more dps with Thermal-Void.
First i thought it might be because my 885 Erratic Metronome isn't that good for GS but yesterday i got an 895 http://www.wowhead.com/item=133642/horn ... 6:1477%20S but i still Sim a lot higher on TV...

am i doing something wrong? Maybe somebody that has a better knowledge of simulationcraft and theorycrafting could tell me where the problem is ? thanks a lot already !

That is my char:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/de-de/chara ... /vyr%C3%B4
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:57 pm

Firstly, if you post in the GS thread it will help get advice easier. Secondly, I don't know what your ilvl is but GS tends to not kick in until you get more gear. It's a scaling talent and the better your gear the better it scales. I'm still not 915ilvl and TV is 10k higher simming than GS for me as well.
Vyro

Unread postby Vyro Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:44 pm

The heading seemed to fit pretty fine to my question, so I went with that Thread.
But I noticed on another post already that you are not the biggest fan of switching between threads.

I linked my armory...currently I am on 914 but I try to maintain 4P-T19 + 2P-T20 so I went down to 911 because again...it simms higher. Anyway, thanks for your answer at least I got an idea and mark to reach to see if it kicks in then.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:25 pm

The heading seemed to fit pretty fine to my question, so I went with that Thread.
But I noticed on another post already that you are not the biggest fan of switching between threads.

I linked my armory...currently I am on 914 but I try to maintain 4P-T19 + 2P-T20 so I went down to 911 because again...it simms higher. Anyway, thanks for your answer at least I got an idea and mark to reach to see if it kicks in then.
Did my best to answer, just was pointing out the full GS how to play thread usually has more action so you could get better responses. That's all.
zulgohlan

Unread postby zulgohlan Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:14 pm

The biggest problem beside long GS cast is, that u normally try to shatter GS, so u hold back after 2icycles and potentialy miss a lot of bf procc during fb casts resulting in less FO uptime which is a huge dps loss
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:28 am

The biggest problem beside long GS cast is, that u normally try to shatter GS, so u hold back after 2icycles and potentialy miss a lot of bf procc during fb casts resulting in less FO uptime which is a huge dps loss
You hold at 4 though, not 2.
zulgohlan

Unread postby zulgohlan Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:45 am

You hold at 4 though, not 2.
i normally did @2 or 3 but still lacking in clarity relics...
Berginyon

Unread postby Berginyon Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:28 pm

Hello everyone.

Is GS much worse than TV atm @ mythic level of raids and gear and high m+? Looking at all top pve frost mages, they all use TV, is it so for a significant reason? Can i still top dps meters with GS instead of TV? Is it true that if i go for GS build it's vers > int = mastery after crit cap? If not, what stats are prio for GS build and which should i go for? I have only 13% haste, should i increase it to any higher certain amount with GS build or forget it totally? And finally, what stats are the best for TV atm for mythic raids and m+?
Texhex

Unread postby Texhex Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:02 am

They all go TV because both builds are quite equal and TV is more mobile because you dont have to cast that awkwardly long GS. For short fights or farm it doesnt really matter, but for long fights with alot of movement TV should be better even though GS might sim higher.

Return to “Frost”