GS built or TV built

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
sawbossnl

GS built or TV built

Unread postby sawbossnl Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:37 pm

Haaai lovely mages and other scrubs who reading this im wondering what you guys theorycrafted so far?

Is TV still good or is GS miles above it ?
I preffer to know this as i want to maximise my dps

I dont care about playstyle/ having fun in a spec

My opinion about fun is helping my guild out as much as i can with doing what my class shoult do DAMMAGE :)

Lovely to hear you guys opinions
Babsy

Re: GS built or TV built

Unread postby Babsy Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:45 pm

You will have to sim yourself. For me as it stands TV is ahead of GS by about 50k due to my stats and legendary options available to me. This will probably change as I get more gear in ToS. with BiS Glacial Spike is stronger but not by a whole lot at all. So the long and short of it is to Sim yourself for the correct answer.
spud

Unread postby spud Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:19 pm

Is the sim craft nightly build now based on 7.2.5? If not how do we get the 7.2.5 version?
Zulandia
Global Moderator

Unread postby Zulandia Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:21 pm

Is the sim craft nightly build now based on 7.2.5? If not how do we get the 7.2.5 version?
No because the work we do in mage-dev is incompatible with the main branch until the DBC used is updated to 7.2.5 (so it would just crash). It will get merged in on Tuesday once that is swapped over. There is a PTR client pinned every other day or so over in the Research tab of Hall of the Guardians until then.
Effia

Unread postby Effia Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:33 am

Based on everything I've read done by the developers on discord, TV and GS are very close to each other apart from 4 target stacked, in which Glacial Spike pulls ahead by about 400k dps. Having simmed myself using the PTR client, my current gear on live shows Glacial Spike to be ahead by about 17-18k dps, thus I'll be playing GS but it's simply important for you to sim yourself when it gets merged.
nafuch

Unread postby nafuch Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Glad they are close then because I really hate the playstyle of GS

But as you say its best to sim yourself
Nhice

Unread postby Nhice Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:50 pm

If you are wanting to play GS you have to have the right stats for it and know to shatter GS every time. I am going to guess in ToS one will sim higher then the other depending on the fight.
CyRan

Unread postby CyRan Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:55 am

With the gear scaling at ToS, maybe the GS will be able to dps more than TV ? With the Intellect (increase Frostbolt, Mastery and GS)
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:19 am

Shattering GS each time isn't incredibly hard. Once you're at 3-4 icicles you just hold your BF procs, then GS>Flurry>IL
Malloree

Unread postby Malloree Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:49 am

Shattering GS each time isn't incredibly hard. Once you're at 3-4 icicles you just hold your BF procs, then GS>Flurry>IL
I can't seem to shatter GS consistently with BF proc so... (7.2). Is their proper way to always shatter GS ?
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:27 am

I can't seem to shatter GS consistently with BF proc so... (7.2). Is their proper way to always shatter GS ?
Are you at the shatter cap? If so, all that needs to happen is as soon as you release GS you need to release flurry
Malloree

Unread postby Malloree Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:12 pm

I'm currently at 27% crit, maybe that's the explanation.
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Yeah, I found my self at 27% crit not shattering all the time. It's crazy how much DPS difference you will see once you hit the cap. I jumped from 500k to 700-800k sustained.
callMeEars

Unread postby callMeEars Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:43 am

Yeah, I found my self at 27% crit not shattering all the time. It's crazy how much DPS difference you will see once you hit the cap. I jumped from 500k to 700-800k sustained.
You didn't gain 250k dps by adding 6% crit strike chance.
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:25 am

You didn't gain 250k dps by adding 6% crit strike chance.
No you're right It took some practice as well, but I genuinely found my DPS jumped massively post hitting shatter cap.
Kivutar

Unread postby Kivutar Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 am

I tested out GS last night and found it to be all over the place. When everything lined up it was amazing burst but other times underwhelming. The T19 nerf to brain freeze procs is real. I find TV to be more dependable and consistent, but I have been building my stats to be in favor of TV (crit to about 32% and good haste/vers, minimal mastery)

Does GS damage get more consistent as mastery goes up? Would it help to get just past the crit cap? I found the spec OK to play, mainly need practice at it, but wonder if I should prioritise mastery gear in ToS or simply stick with TV, if it's close?
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:18 pm

I tested out GS last night and found it to be all over the place. When everything lined up it was amazing burst but other times underwhelming. The T19 nerf to brain freeze procs is real. I find TV to be more dependable and consistent, but I have been building my stats to be in favor of TV (crit to about 32% and good haste/vers, minimal mastery)

Does GS damage get more consistent as mastery goes up? Would it help to get just past the crit cap? I found the spec OK to play, mainly need practice at it, but wonder if I should prioritise mastery gear in ToS or simply stick with TV, if it's close?
So the large thread sums it up nicely but

The first thing which is key is learning when to hold BF procs and knowing when to release and this makes Ebonbolt even more important then before. Shattering GS means your DPS will be much higher then not, but you can't always shatter it due to RNG.

BF procs should be released if you're at 0-2 icicles, followed by a shatter lance and / or FOF procs as Flurry still ups the damage of icelances that follow it. If you're at 3-4 icicles you should store the BF proc, and use it to shatter the GS. If you hold onto to BF procs at 0-2 icicles you're just waiting the Frostbolt>Flurry>IL damage that comes with it. Similarly if you have a GS and no BF proc you should not just spam frostbolt and hope for a BF proc. The easiest thing to do is make a weakaura, or use tellmewhen to track icicles.

You can use Icy Veins on pull, Then Ebonbolt, Frostbolt, Flurry, IL and. Then the above applies ^

When you get 2PC of T20 it only slightly changes, holding your Ebonbolt, GS and FoF procs when Frozen orb is 10 coming back off cooldown for the extra crit damage.
Frostienips

Unread postby Frostienips Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:32 pm

You can use Icy Veins on pull, Then Ebonbolt, Frostbolt, Flurry, IL and. Then the above applies ^

I am a little confused here but why FB after the Ebonbolt?
Would it not be best to EB followed by the Flurry and then IL? For shatter purposes?
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:40 pm

I am a little confused here but why FB after the Ebonbolt?
Would it not be best to EB followed by the Flurry and then IL? For shatter purposes?
If you Frostbolt>Flurry>IL you shatter it all.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:40 pm

In the opener and even in the GS build it's typically expected you're shattering your Ebonbolt. So it should always be shattering ebonbolt, not casting it and then using it's BF proc like you would a standard one as part of the rotation.

Return to “Frost”