Shattering glacial spike: timing flurry

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Wowbagger

Shattering glacial spike: timing flurry

Unread postby Wowbagger Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:14 am

Is there a crucial point at which to actually release flurry after casting glacial spike in order to land GS inside the flurry debuff window? My testing this evening after I had to reinstall wow just to get logged in at all was pretty up and down on GS crits with flurry shatter.

Running over shatter cap at %34 crit, I would actually at the end of a few tests end up lower than my actual crit chance, indicating that I'm not doing something correctly. To restate the question, is there a proper moment to release flurry to land GS at the right moment?
AaronWilson

Re: Shattering glacial spike: timing flurry

Unread postby AaronWilson Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:14 am

A) Are you at shatter cap (33.40% crit)?

B) As long as you release GS > Flurry straight after it should always shatter.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:44 am

Are you doing this in our class hall? I had a similar experience before when testing double IL and it took me ages to finally realize what was going on. Maybe this is happening to you as well now.

When you're casting IL or GS in the order hall it's very likely that you'll hit a second dummy at the same time. However, that second dummy won't have the flurry debuff on it. The result is that you end up with imperfect crit numbers because you'll have uncritical hits on the second target, not because you're not shattering correctly. You should get reliable numbers by looking at your damage done to the specific target.

However, I have no idea why you'd end up with a lower crit rate overall. Do you mean lower than 34% or lower than 100%? To end up with the former, even with super bad RNG you'd have to mess up your GS shatter consistently. The latter would be explained by the above.
charlie01

Unread postby charlie01 Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:40 am

I have the same exact problem. I've been playing frost the whole expansion and I understand the flurry/brain freeze mechanic real well. Last night I was running tests and raids and my glacial spikes were not shattering 100%. I had a brain freeze proc b4 every gs cast and was using flurry immediately after every cast. I tried changing spellqueue window but it still wasn't reliable.
kickassZA

Unread postby kickassZA Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:45 am

EU or NA?

If EU, flurry speed change has only changed four hours ago. And thus you'd have to shimmerlance. *Edit* Omg. I think I really miss Double IL :(. I called it shimmerlance.
charlie01

Unread postby charlie01 Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:01 pm

US. I'll run some logs tonight to shoe what I'm describing.
Nemetor

Unread postby Nemetor Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:37 pm

I have the same exact problem. I've been playing frost the whole expansion and I understand the flurry/brain freeze mechanic real well. Last night I was running tests and raids and my glacial spikes were not shattering 100%. I had a brain freeze proc b4 every gs cast and was using flurry immediately after every cast. I tried changing spellqueue window but it still wasn't reliable.
Shattering GS works perfectly now, you just need to be at >10 yards of the target. If you have your 33.34 crit cap, it will be a critical strike for sure.

Maybe there is some other dummy you touch in cleave who is not affected by flurry debuff, check this out.
Wowbagger

Unread postby Wowbagger Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:08 pm

I suppose it IS possible that is happening, but I do my order hall tests on the raiding dummy from about max distance from the dummy, half way up the stairs. And I don't see significant damage done to any other targets, on occasion my frozen orb will curve ball and shoot one of the lesser dummies to the right but I can't say ive ever seen a glacial spike hit one of the lesser dummies.

I AM over shatter cap as I stated at %34 crit. I have tried releasing flurry immediately after glacial spike, or releasing it when it's above my head " winding up."
When I say " less than my crit chance" at the end of a test, and we're not talking 100m dmg, I'm talking 10 straight minutes of target dummy testing, my glacial spike crit % done on some tests came out LESS than my actual character crit chance. Which I would attribute to RnG prior to the patch, but when I had a flurry proc on EVERY GS I cast, no I'm not fibbing, I held flurry for every GS, I would expect a lot higher results, and just in case by this point in the post you forgot I mentioned, I tried all different kinds of timing through out the entire test, from immediate release to holding it late.

I don't even know if this scenario is possible, but in order to get WoW playable I had to reinstall WoW after reinstalling battle.net and deleting all kinds of folders following troubleshooting guides. is it possible that somehow through all that, somehow I logged into WoW unpatched? It's far fetched but my brain is at that point like when you've lost car keys and your looking under the bathroom sink irrationally though you know full well they won't be there.
Nemetor

Unread postby Nemetor Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:16 pm

That's weird...

My testing are perfectly good, with the same conditions. Are you playing with high latency? It could be the problem.

To shatter, i just spam the flurry button when the GS cast is about to end so it's released immediatly.
Wowbagger

Unread postby Wowbagger Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Nope not playing with super high latency, my latency usually about 50ish ms home and world. It is such that I can usually release flurry before my glacial spike cast is complete and have it fire off immediately following.
Nemetor

Unread postby Nemetor Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Well, i don't know why it doesn't work for you.

You should just open a ticket.
charlie01

Unread postby charlie01 Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:04 pm

This is super frustrating. I understand what you are talking about. I am sitting at 35%crit too. Please let me know if your ticket with a gm helps.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Maybe you guys should find out what you have in common. It's clear that the reason isn't to be found among the obvious things.

Couldn't you meet up ingame, run tests together and then compare logs? That would eliminate a whole bunch of reasons that you couldn't control for in a solo setup. You might also want to include a third person who doesn't have the problem and then see what's different.
Wowbagger

Unread postby Wowbagger Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:24 pm

I'm down for that. Battletag is wowbagger#1549. I should be on sometime around 9MT. This is all frustrating and disappointing to me because I have stuck it out with GS since I started playing it several patches ago, and I was excited to have it validated, then to have empty boxes on Christmas morning per se. Hopefully the %100 shatter chance isn't unintended like IL.
Another strange thing that was happening last night was that recount and skada were like 300k dps different in their reporting, when usually they're within 10-30k different. Recount WAS reporting a damage increase that I might expect from having more crits from GS, before patch I was having around 590-650k dps depending on RNG after 5-10 min duration test. Last night recount reported about 800-850k while skada was high 500k still.
charlie01

Unread postby charlie01 Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:03 pm

whats ur discord tag?
Wowbagger

Unread postby Wowbagger Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:45 pm

It is wowbadger#1949
Last edited by Wowbagger on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlie01

Unread postby charlie01 Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:27 am

I think I found out whats going on.

After lots of dummy work I took off whispers trink and every single GS Flurry combos crit. Try it out.
Andrestes

Unread postby Andrestes Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:01 am

personally, I have to try and queue flurry as soon as possible. If I waited until my cast bar was almost finished, I wasn't consistently getting GS crits.
Ranax

Unread postby Ranax Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:30 am

Is there a crucial point at which to actually release flurry after casting glacial spike in order to land GS inside the flurry debuff window? My testing this evening after I had to reinstall wow just to get logged in at all was pretty up and down on GS crits with flurry shatter.

Running over shatter cap at %34 crit, I would actually at the end of a few tests end up lower than my actual crit chance, indicating that I'm not doing something correctly. To restate the question, is there a proper moment to release flurry to land GS at the right moment?
What trinkets are you using? Cause if the GS cast is at the end of a whispers proc, then I think the higher GCD (due to whispers debuff) won't allow you to cast a flurry with the winter's chill duration.
Wowbagger

Unread postby Wowbagger Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:47 am

I was not using whispers, the strangest thing, when I logged in this evening I simply removed half of my gear and put it back on suddenly my GS started to crit consistently. This was suggested to me by Charlie. Testing more tonight I am still finding a little bit of variance at shatter cap (33.44) roughly 85% is what I've seen. I am running metronome. Could metronome have the same effect with its haste proc as mentioned with whispers?

Return to “Frost”