Shattering glacial spike: timing flurry

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Wowbagger

Re: Shattering glacial spike: timing flurry

Unread postby Wowbagger Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:11 am

I can concur with what Andrestes has said. For me to consistently get 100% shatter I have to Q up flurry with about 7 to 9 tenths of a second remaining on GS cast. Anything slower on flurry release and RnG rules.
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:27 am

I did a quick que in LFR last night, Standing 10 yds away or more the whole time and queing/releasing furry as soon as GS is released it shattered every time.
TimGeerts

Unread postby TimGeerts Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 am

I decided to try out GS build yesterday as well (as did a lot of mages I guess). Had a very hard time consistently shattering GS and ended up giving up and going back to TV...
Didn't try the remove gear/equip gear thing, but, I would be amazed if that actually changed a thing.
What I noticed is that I really had to spam flurry while casting GS for it to be able to shatter afterwards. If I'd just press flurry at the end of my GS cast, it didn't work at all (with 25ms).

None the less, GS only sims 15k higher for me than TV, so, I'm gonna take the easy route out and go TV again... at least for now.
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Sims are showing TV simming quite close to GS right now anyway. As we upgrade gear, move into T20 2set and scale GS will be the better spec.
charlie01

Unread postby charlie01 Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:37 pm

We figured it out last night. It seems to be a bug. What both the original poster and myself did was remove all our gear and then re equip it. After that the gs/flurry combo worked every time with no issues. I tried it first then he did and it was fixed. It was very strange but accurate. I hope this helps.
AaronWilson

Unread postby AaronWilson Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:42 pm

We figured it out last night. It seems to be a bug. What both the original poster and myself did was remove all our gear and then re equip it. After that the gs/flurry combo worked every time with no issues. I tried it first then he did and it was fixed. It was very strange but accurate. I hope this helps.
That is indeed.... reallly odd. For some reason, maybe the patch made the game miscalculated your crit chance and re-equipping it sorted it out.
Wowbagger

Unread postby Wowbagger Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:55 pm

After further testing last night I am VERY skeptical about wether the gear swap thing had anything to do with this at all. The testing I did lead me to the conclusion and this may already be obvious to a lot of people, but haste and latency have a huge effect on the proper timing of flurry.

I tested several gear setups and what I found for me is that with lower haste I had to Queue flurry at about 5 tenths of a second left on GS cast. Anything sooner or too later it would not shatter.
At extremely high haste ratings, TW, IV, base haste about 22, metronome proc'd and whispers proc'd I had to queue flurry almost half way through glacial spike cast. Same thing, too early it wouldn't fire flurry at all and too late it would cast flurry but not shatter. The kicker is that when haste pushes the flurry queue earlier it doesn't stretch the flurrry window from the mid point to the end of the cast, it is a sliding window you have to time. So whoever before mentioned spamming flurry during the glacial spike cast, that is the easiest method to hit the window. I prefer just to figure out the timing and save my tendons.

So the overall conclusion I have come to here and making me think the gear swap thing has nothing to do with is: if a person found the sweet spot with just their normal haste/latency, during haste modifiers like metronome and especially whispers which is a drastic haste increase, that person would find themselves queueing flurry at the time they expect when really the window to Q has moved to the left requiring adjusting. Dumping whispers isn't the key, adjusting Queue time for when it procs IS the key.

Again all of this might not be new to many but this testing helped me.
Last edited by Wowbagger on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tipsey

Unread postby Tipsey Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Did any of you adjust your spell queue latency thing that people had to do to get double IL to work? (sorry can't remember the cvar off the top of my head)
callMeEars

Unread postby callMeEars Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:14 pm

This whole conversation is confusing to me. I thought everyone would just be spamming their next spell when they get close to the end of a cast time. You don't wait until you've finished casting before you hit the next one you spam it so it queues asap. Only exception would be for example arcane missiles so you can be careful not to interrupt the channel prematurely.
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Unread postby Norrinir Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Upload logs somewhere and link them here. I suspect Flurry is not being queued properly (possibly because your lag tolerance/spell queue window is too low).
Wowbagger

Unread postby Wowbagger Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:23 pm

I have myself figured out in regards to my timing issues.
kickassZA

Unread postby kickassZA Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:42 pm

I had huge issues with timing and getting my glacial spikes with flurry. I know I recently just set my SpellQueue back to default due to it way lower Double Icelancing. So a few weeks ago I set it back to 400.

A few seconds ago I used:
/console SpellQueueWindow 200 (My ping is around that ms)

And I'm reliably shattering my GSes now.
Makz

Unread postby Makz Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:14 am

Just noticed it now going over some logs for Fallen Avatar Heroic - Glacial eruption seems to be bugged and not hitting at all. Checked my logs and 7 random people from top30, everyone has like 6-8 ebonbolts and barely 1-3 Glacial eruptions.
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface

Return to “Frost”