Glacial Spike change

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Wulftheholy

Glacial Spike change

Unread postby Wulftheholy Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:08 pm

One other change that is currently in testing:

Frost Mage:
Glacial Spike: the stored Icicle damage component no longer benefits from %-damage buffs on the caster.
Glacial Spike damage increased by 50%.

This is to prevent Glacial Spike from "double-dipping" %-damage buffs. That is, since the Icicles have already been buffed by things like Versatility or Incanter's Flow, that portion of Glacial Spike's damage should not benefit again. This matches the behavior of regular Icicles, which do not benefit from those types of buffs.

This has been a live issue through the expansion, and we know it's slightly last-minute for a fix now, but we grew concerned about Glacial Spike's interaction with some very large encounter-based damage buffs in the new content. Since fixing the double-dip behavior is the correct long-term solution, it was best to do it now, and compensate Glacial's Spike's own damage to account for the loss of Icicle damage. The goal is not to meaningfully nerf Frost in any normal situation (if fact, Glacial Spike should get somewhat stronger in any setup that's not heavily built around it). We welcome any rigorous feedback on whether the above number correctly accomplishes that goal.

Is this a huge nerf? Or will the damage buff to the actual spike keep it around the same?
Xzaar

Re: Glacial Spike change

Unread postby Xzaar Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:05 pm

I don't know, 50% seems like a pretty arbitrary number. Doesn't feel like they evaluated the impact on the nerf before buffing the raw damage. It could go bothways, hopefully it will turn out to be a buff.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:29 pm

Sure, make a new post about a glacial spike change. Alternatively, you could also just look at the last page of the how to glacial spike thread and add your 2 cents or questions about this change in a more relevant topic.
Wulftheholy

Unread postby Wulftheholy Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:04 am

My apologizes i didn't realize that it would be talked about in that thread. Was just trying to post the information as I saw it. Sorry I offended you with my post.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:02 am

My apologizes i didn't realize that it would be talked about in that thread. Was just trying to post the information as I saw it. Sorry I offended you with my post.
Well. It's a change to GS and the thread talking about the spec centered around Glacial spike exists. So while I'm not offended, I just wish new posters would serach first for answers/discussions
charlie01

Unread postby charlie01 Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:19 am

Thank you for starting this thread. I don't see the issue.
Weirdhans

Unread postby Weirdhans Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:44 am

Just made an account just to respond to this post.
Honestly Xinder what the fuck xD.
Anyhow thanks for this post. I am really wondering what will happen to it. It seems like a really fun way to play frost.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:35 pm

I mean I'm not a mod and the thread is still here so they must feel it's fine and serves a purpose. I just see so many new posts on these forums that are asking gear questions, talent questions, trinket questions and are all started as their own thread. All the while we have general threads stickied at the top for each spec and then in frost's case we even have stickied threads on the two playstyles of frost. No one seems to care though and will just post their own questions as its own thread which clutters the forums. Just me having a pet peeve/OCD with it I suppose.
kesMow

Unread postby kesMow Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Hmmmm does that means Versatility is now stronger than before ?
(...And mastery became useless?)

Like, if you got your shatter cap crit (30~33%), you just go for Haste and Versa ?

Crit (33%) >>> Haste = Versa >>> Mastery ?
kesMow

Unread postby kesMow Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:40 pm

I mean I'm not a mod and the thread is still here so they must feel it's fine and serves a purpose. I just see so many new posts on these forums that are asking gear questions, talent questions, trinket questions and are all started as their own thread. All the while we have general threads stickied at the top for each spec and then in frost's case we even have stickied threads on the two playstyles of frost. No one seems to care though and will just post their own questions as its own thread which clutters the forums. Just me having a pet peeve/OCD with it I suppose.
Sometimes it's easier to find what you want in a specific post than looking after the whole stickied thread (even if you have the main infos on the first post + the 2/3 last pages)...
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Sometimes it's easier to find what you want in a specific post than looking after the whole stickied thread (even if you have the main infos on the first post + the 2/3 last pages)...
Yeah I get that, but in this particular case the change had literally just come out and it's significant. There's a very high probability that even in your described scenario of checking the last 2 to 3 pages, you would find an answer to the question or at the very least a discussion on such a significant change.
alia

Unread postby alia Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:09 pm

(...And mastery became useless?)
Mastery is once again useless for the Frost Mage. It was a really fun week...but deep down I knew it wouldn't last. :cry:

Return to “Frost”