[7.3] TV - Talents, Relics, Stats, Racials & More!

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
nickseng

Re: [7.2.5] TV - Talents, Relics, Stats, Racials & More!

Unread postby nickseng Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:36 am

Are the sims for shard of exodar showing two lusts over the fight duration or three?
2.5-ish.

That's because when you set the fight to be 5 minutes, it's not actually a 5 minute fight. There is a variance there (not sure how much), so some fights will be 4+ minutes, and some will be 5+ minutes. It all averages out to 2.5-ish.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Are the sims for shard of exodar showing two lusts over the fight duration or three?
Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it the Sims are assuming lust on pull and then a lust again before the fight is over.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 am

The reply was literally above yours.
alpacapacino

Unread postby alpacapacino Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 pm

It isn't worth holding Ice Lance procs for Incanter's Flow, this is due to gaining Brain Freeze procs and ultimately munching more Brain Freeze Procs.
i don't agree with this. There is literally no reason to not hold off on FoF procs when you're at 1 stack of incanter's. You don't munch BF procs. Why would you hold off on BF combo at any point? Even if you're holding onto FoF procs that doesn't mean at 3 stacks of IF and 2 FoF procs you hold off on the BF if you get a proc. You immediately go into the combo, regardless of the stacks you have for incanter's flow.

Not only does is it a damage boost to your ice lances, it combats bad rng, Say you're not getting BF procs which happens often you are doing more damage with your ice lances, on top of that you have higher up time with chilled to the core.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:01 pm

The reply was literally above yours.
Yup. I disregarded your reply and posted my own just to spite you. /s

It was a mistake and I didn't see the previous post. I'll compare our answers and delete mine so as not to offend your internet sensibilities.
It isn't worth holding Ice Lance procs for Incanter's Flow, this is due to gaining Brain Freeze procs and ultimately munching more Brain Freeze Procs.
i don't agree with this. There is literally no reason to not hold off on FoF procs when you're at 1 stack of incanter's. You don't munch BF procs. Why would you hold off on BF combo at any point? Even if you're holding onto FoF procs that doesn't mean at 3 stacks of IF and 2 FoF procs you hold off on the BF if you get a proc. You immediately go into the combo, regardless of the stacks you have for incanter's flow.

Not only does is it a damage boost to your ice lances, it combats bad rng, Say you're not getting BF procs which happens often you are doing more damage with your ice lances, on top of that you have higher up time with chilled to the core.
I agree with this and it's what I try and do in practice. Also one thing about your post, you can't extend the chilled to the core or increase it's uptime. That's the 20s buff we get when we pop IV. It stays at 20s and doesn't get extended at all. Just the haste part of popping IV gets extended.
Norvelas

Unread postby Norvelas Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm actually very confused on how to read the trinket chart by Zulandia. anyone care to dumb it down for me?
danissketch

Unread postby danissketch Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:48 am

I'm actually very confused on how to read the trinket chart by Zulandia. anyone care to dumb it down for me?
You should only use it as a loose guideline. As always, simming yourself will give you best results.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:59 am

Because when you save procs, you might generate a bf proc when you're chain casting Frostbolts. When that happens, you prioritize the bf proc, which means you just munched a il proc
alpacapacino

Unread postby alpacapacino Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:43 am

Because when you save procs, you might generate a bf proc when you're chain casting Frostbolts. When that happens, you prioritize the bf proc, which means you just munched a il proc
Yes that's possible, that's a lot of what ifs though. i always have more damage if i have higher chilled to the core up time and my ice lances hitting harder. I don't know many top frost mages who ignore chilled to the core and treat it as a passive or treating incanter's flow as a passive.

That's like people who have different openers. Gaining chilled to the core before your opener is more than not a dps increase.

You can also avoid munching the proc depending on where the BF procs. If you're at the ass end of your frostbolt and bf procs. Just dump your ice lances before going into the bf combo. Then if you're gaining stacks at let's say 3 incanter's flow, you have chilled to the core plus you're most likely at 5 stacks by the time you finish the BF combo. Irregardless you're going to munch ice lance procs sometimes. That's the reality of BF.

You have to do what you can to lessen the constraints of rng with frost. While mage is good for utility and pretty decent damage. Bad rng can really have a huge impact on your damage so if it's a dps increase do it. That's like frost mages who don't know how to shimmerlance or simply don't do it. Why not shimmerlance? It's always a dps increase. Sometimes you obviously don't want to but for the most part if you can fit 2 ice lances into winter's chill why wouldn't you?
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:04 pm

Yes that's possible, that's a lot of what ifs though. i always have more damage if i have higher chilled to the core up time and my ice lances hitting harder. I don't know many top frost mages who ignore chilled to the core and treat it as a passive or treating incanter's flow as a passive.
I hang out at the mage discords, and the top frost mages there ignore it.

You can also avoid munching the proc depending on where the BF procs. If you're at the ass end of your frostbolt and bf procs. Just dump your ice lances before going into the bf combo.
if you're chain casting Frostbolt, and you should, you're mid-cast of another frostbolt before you notice your last frostbolt triggered a BF. If you don't respond to that BF immediately, you risk you current frosbolt generating another bf and munching it.

Munching BF is a bigger dps loss than munching FOF
[/quote]
You have to do what you can to lessen the constraints of rng with frost. While mage is good for utility and pretty decent damage. Bad rng can really have a huge impact on your damage so if it's a dps increase do it. That's like frost mages who don't know how to shimmerlance or simply don't do it. Why not shimmerlance? It's always a dps increase. Sometimes you obviously don't want to but for the most part if you can fit 2 ice lances into winter's chill why wouldn't you?
Sure, if you find the opportunity. It does consume a shimmer charge, and those are valuable resources in TOS. But yeah, if you don't need shimmer, go ahead.
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:12 am

That's what he said - it's not worth. Btw you will munch bf procs and FoF as well if you hold it off for better IF stacks. Why? Because if you don't cast lance or flurry you cast frostbolt which suddenly can proc FoF and BF munching it as a result.
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:25 am

That's like people who have different openers. Gaining chilled to the core before your opener is more than not a dps increase.
What? You always pull IV in opener. Especially if BL is at the start too.
You can also avoid munching the proc depending on where the BF procs. If you're at the ass end of your frostbolt and bf procs. Just dump your ice lances before going into the bf combo. Then if you're gaining stacks at let's say 3 incanter's flow, you have chilled to the core plus you're most likely at 5 stacks by the time you finish the BF combo. Irregardless you're going to munch ice lance procs sometimes. That's the reality of BF.
I might be missing something but you offer to do frostbolt *getting BF* > ice lance? I tell you what if you cast frostbolt with BF no matter where it appears (start, middle or the end) you always do frostbolt > flurry > ice lance. Crit frostbolts reduces IV cd which is more important than monitoring IF stacks lol...
Shimmerlance is good in... normal and heroic. When you do mythic you better keep your shimmers up because in ToS there are a lot of movement. Ofc when you are done with mythic being 940 raid and all bosses getting oneshotted you can shimmerlance asap but I guess there are only few guilds which can braindead farm ToS mythic atm.

To sum up, IF is not a goal to monitor and sync prosc/CDs with it, it's like chain reaction, which is nice to have more than 50% uptime but again it's not a goal to sacrifice some other stuff for that.
Fincher

Unread postby Fincher Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:09 pm

Sorry if Noob question but why is Orc so far down? Blood Fury Racial makes it average in other classes, and in Frost Mage it should be even higher because Pet damage.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Sorry if Noob question but why is Orc so far down? Blood Fury Racial makes it average in other classes, and in Frost Mage it should be even higher because Pet damage.
The profile being simmed to generate the list doesn't use the Pet because it takes Lonely Winter.
Fincher

Unread postby Fincher Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Thank
Worstjuh

Unread postby Worstjuh Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am

Maybe its allready been answered. But can't really find it on the forum.

What relics are the best to use.

I have now :

1. Frozen Veins
2. Let it go
3. Ice Age

But have this one also in my bag.
Obsidian Lance (can use this relic on slot 1 or 3)

I asked this because i swapped to these relics finally in the 7.3 patch. Before the patch i was on a bossfight around the 1M DPS. Now i was yesterday in ToS, sometimes dropping down to 750K but my activity is still between 99,5% or 100%
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Maybe its allready been answered. But can't really find it on the forum.

What relics are the best to use.

I have now :

1. Frozen Veins
2. Let it go
3. Ice Age

But have this one also in my bag.
Obsidian Lance (can use this relic on slot 1 or 3)

I asked this because i swapped to these relics finally in the 7.3 patch. Before the patch i was on a bossfight around the 1M DPS. Now i was yesterday in ToS, sometimes dropping down to 750K but my activity is still between 99,5% or 100%
There are likely other reasons for your dps difference than just from swapping a few relics unless you went down in weapon Ilvl on them to equip those. Obsidian lance is better than Ice Age based on the chart in the first post on this thread.
iReprise

Re: [7.3] TV - Talents, Relics, Stats, Racials & More!

Unread postby iReprise Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:09 pm

And, the 3 relics you've listed are actually your BIS relics :).
havocw

Unread postby havocw Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:10 pm

Has anyone done the math on whether or not it's worth using blizzard on single target with Tarnished Sentinel Medalion during Frozen Orb?
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:01 am

Has anyone done the math on whether or not it's worth using blizzard on single target with Tarnished Sentinel Medalion during Frozen Orb?
Blizzard has negligable effect on the owl trinket, so no, not worth it. Blizzard usage is always tied to # of targets (or belt leggo)

Return to “Frost”