Tome of Unraveling Sanity usage

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
danissketch

Tome of Unraveling Sanity usage

Unread postby danissketch Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:51 pm

I just got the KJ trinket tome of unraveling sanity and sims show it is an upgrade for me. So before the crit buff it gives I'm about 3 percent below the crit cap, and then after the buff it sets me over the crit cap. I was wondering if anyone with this trinket knows if waiting for the crit buff during my cds is a dps increase or if waiting for that is not worth it.

For example, when my cds are up and my trinket is up I would pop the trinket and wait for the crit buff to kick in then I would blow all my cds. I was wondering if this situation is a noticeable dps increase over just popping the trinket with my cds at the same time. I also do have t20 set bonuses.
Valaran

Re: Tome of Unraveling Sanity usage

Unread postby Valaran Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:46 am

My napkin math suggests the proc alone (the DoT) amounts to about 15k DPS; mine usually does on average about 900k per use and it's up every 60 seconds. So, that alone makes it worth using on cooldown in my opinion, and may suggest why it sims so highly. Because after that DoT wears off, even if only for 12 seconds I'm now gaining like 8% crit. And even OVER the Shatter softcap, crit is devalued yes but it's still WAY more valuable than mastery even then.

Edit: for TV* but doubt there's much difference for GS.
LightsSL

Unread postby LightsSL Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:37 am

I use that too. Imo you should use it on cooldown and the only reason it sims higher than my metronome is that when you go into the lame frostbolt rotation,more frostbolt crits will reset the CD of your IV even faster. Even if u are using glacial spike is still decent, coz spikes have nothing to do with shatter cap. More crit is always better
Fonzey

Unread postby Fonzey Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:23 pm

I got a 950 Titanforge of this the other day, I'm tracking the crit buff and will use it as an opportunity to ignore FoF procs (unless I'm going to cap out) and using at as opportunity to turret frostbolts as it's the only spell that really gains during a ST rotation.

As GS this helps get bigger spikes but in general I shatter the actual spike, so still best off using the procs for icicle generation instead.

The int and damage effect make this worth using alone, so even if you fire and forget on the crit proc you won't go far wrong.
smaktat

Unread postby smaktat Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:51 pm

TV, use on CD as some of the posters have suggested. I don't worry about the crit bonus too much as it sometimes lines up with an Orb CD. By using the trinket on CD, eventually I get to the point where the effect is wearing off and the crit bonus is active while Orb is out. Crit there is nice, but it's probably only a few thousand DPS increase. Nothing to really bat an eye at.

Return to “Frost”