Shimmerlancing + T21 (4pc) benefit

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Chiv

Shimmerlancing + T21 (4pc) benefit

Unread postby Chiv Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:09 pm

So from what I can see in logs, if you shimmer double ice lance after flurry, you retain the arctic blast buff for the 2nd ice lance as well, essentially getting two +20% ice lances instead of 1!

neato

sry if was already well known, didn't search thoroughly
Fonzey

Re: Shimmerlancing + T21 (4pc) benefit

Unread postby Fonzey Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:31 pm

When I first got 4PC I was playing around on the dummy and it "felt" like this was happening. I'd not read anything about it, so disregarded it.

I saw this post today, so looked through some of my logs - and it seems like you're right.

This is just one example, my very first DIL of the raid - but I manually tabbed through the logs and found a few similar results.

This may have been discussed in length on Discord, but I've not noticed it - but the pace of the conversation means that stuff can get lost/buried quickly I suppose.
Makz

Unread postby Makz Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:53 pm

It has been this way since one of the last iterations on the PTR which is why shimmerlancing is back. This is most likely intended as I think they will specifically make the buff linger an extra half second for no reason at all.
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface
snafu

Unread postby snafu Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:32 am

Can someone explain to me what a "shimmerlance" is? Thanks
icetea666

Unread postby icetea666 Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:31 pm

What i want to know is...how much of a dps increase it is?I wouldn't expect much tbh if anything
The way antorus raid is designed i seriously doubt shimmerlance would be anything than dps loss

Correct me if i'm wrong tho.
Fonzey

Unread postby Fonzey Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:25 pm

It's hard to quantify, I'm pretty sure the SimC APL don't include it - but somebody with a bit of knowhow could probably throw in a modified version to represent shimmerlancing.

Shimmer lance is:

Frostbolt(or Ebonbolt) -> Flurry -> Icelance -> Shimmer close to boss -> Icelance.

Both icelances will be shattered, even with zero FoF procs - because of the time it takes the flurry to travel to the boss compared to a shimmered icelance. With 4pc T21, both IL's also benefit - as discussed in this thread.

With specific haste levels, you can double icelance without shimmer:

Frostbolt(or Ebonbolt) -> Flurry -> Icelance -> Run close to boss -> Icelance. It's very finicky with haste levels, for example with my char in my current gear:

IV only: Need to shimmer lance
IV + BL: Can "run" lance
IV + BL + Berserking: Need to shimmer lance, too much haste
BL: Need to shimmer lance

etc etc.

There is zero risk to shimmer lancing, unless you expect to require a shimmer to avoid fight mechanics. "Run" lancing is much more risky, as if you fail - you're dropping a non-shattered IL on the target.

In my experience, you can 95% parse with zero effort to shimmer/run lance - but to get up to the 99's/100's you're going to need to abuse it, or get crazily lucky on procs.
icetea666

Unread postby icetea666 Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:24 pm

How much haste total you have when you have IV and BL up?

I sit at 129%.is that enough?
Fonzey

Unread postby Fonzey Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:04 pm

122% with ST gear, 128% with AoE gear

With troll 'zerking it goes up to 155%, which is far to high to make it work.

dubsedition

Unread postby dubsedition Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:44 pm

What i want to know is...how much of a dps increase it is?I wouldn't expect much tbh if anything
The way antorus raid is designed i seriously doubt shimmerlance would be anything than dps loss

It is actually a more significant bonus than you might think, especially if retaining the +20% buff. Looking at it straight on, how could a second empowered ice lance not help you with overall damage. You could either get the bonus IL damage or sit and cast a FB after the first IL. But what it also does it help with IV up time by giving you +2 seconds per brain freeze proc.

The question is does it make a hue difference for most? Probably not, especially if you miss a couple. At the top level, where every bit matters? Sure, have you seen the top parses as a frost mage.
icetea666

Unread postby icetea666 Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:55 pm

It is actually a more significant bonus than you might think, especially if retaining the +20% buff. Looking at it straight on, how could a second empowered ice lance not help you with overall damage. You could either get the bonus IL damage or sit and cast a FB after the first IL. But what it also does it help with IV up time by giving you +2 seconds per brain freeze proc.

The question is does it make a hue difference for most? Probably not, especially if you miss a couple. At the top level, where every bit matters? Sure, have you seen the top parses as a frost mage.
you are forgetting that you won't have your shimmer when you really need it,and then you will be forced to run and most likely cast empty lances instead of blinking and casting your frostbolt or w/e again.
DPSing raid dummy is one thing,doing the boss is different.
I can give you for each particular boss in antorus,a reason why you shouldn't shimmer-lance.Or why you shouldn't do it for the most part at least.Run-lance is great tho.

You need to look at a fight as a whole,not just at particular moment or 5 second time-frame.

Return to “Frost”