Mastering Frost

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
magecoop

Mastering Frost

Unread postby magecoop Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:07 am

Get guys, i see these all the time and i know they are annoying but i just wanna get some advice on how to parse pretty good.

here is a link to my logs i havent really tried in herioc as those were times i was learning the fights my normal parses are my most recent: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... metric=dps
i dont have shard btw. any advice would be appericated
Fonzey

Re: Mastering Frost

Unread postby Fonzey Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:45 pm

Check out WowAnalyzer and pump your log URL into that, it seems pretty good for frost mages so kudos to whoever is maintaining that.

Getting to >95% parses will probably require Shard, so farm like crazy for it but there's still a fair bit of work you can do.

1. I'm not sure you're doing the brain freeze combo properly. When you get a proc, you should hardcast a frostbolt (or ebonbolt) instantly into flurry, instantly into icelance. The debuff applied to the boss from flurry will shatter all three spells significantly raising the critical chance rate of your frostbolts over the fight, and bringing ebonbolt to 100%.

2. Stop overwriting or wasting brain freeze procs. If you get a BF proc, you should be consuming it ASAP, even if you have FoF procs that you would subsequently waste.

3. Cast more, you have a fair bit of downtime on most fights - read the fights and plan movement/shimmers etc, frost mage should rarely/never have to stop casting

4. You seem to be sat on CDs a fair bit, for example not using Ebonbolt, Orb or IV when it comes off CD. To a certain extent you can delay these to line up with each other, or with boss mechanics - but not at the cost of losing another cast later in the fight. Try to keep track of CDs better and use them when available, lots of good WA setups available for frost mage

5. You're stuck with Sephuz, but not potentially using it properly. On a fair few Antorus fights you can proc it on cooldown (in which case it can be better than shard!) using either counterspell or (more likely) frost nova. Adds on high command for example should allow you to maintain strong uptime on this. I checked the top frost mage high command log that uses sephuz and they had average 7.7% haste from it, you had 3.1%.

GL HF
magecoop

Unread postby magecoop Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:23 pm

thank you. i appreciate the advice.
coolburn

Unread postby coolburn Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:00 pm

@Fonzey
I have a question on the point you made regarding sitting CDS. With veins trait stacked for me plus NLC I have it at 3 seconds per frostbolt crit. That results in Icy veins being often up but not lining up with orb/ebon bolt, do you recommend waiting or using veins with frostbolts plus whatever procs I get.
Fonzey

Unread postby Fonzey Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:32 pm

I can't say authoritatively but I never hold mine for more than 10seconds, UNLESS the fight is close to the end and I know for a fact that I won't get an additional IV up - in which case it's worth holding and having a final burst splurge before the end of the fight.

Often there are other factors in the fight which would cause you to hold CDs for other reason, for example add spawns/waves etc - it's always nice to have an orb combo available for adds spawning.
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Tbh you will mostly hold the orb for Veins because it looks like: IV+Orb, IV gets 3 min CD, Orb 1 min. After 1 min you pop another Orb and IV is at 2 min CD. After another 1 min you cast 1 more orb and IV is at 1 min CD. Obviously IV CD will be lower due to your relics and now it depends how well they reduced IV CD. More than 30 sec left? Cast another Orb. Less than 30 sec? Wait for IV.
icetea666

Unread postby icetea666 Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:17 pm

I would never hold orb longer than 10 seconds.Under any circumstances.

Return to “Frost”