To Sim or Not to Sim

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Brightbrown

To Sim or Not to Sim

Unread postby Brightbrown Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:21 am

First, I know the simc engine underlies AskMrRobot, but I still run sims there and on raidbots, and comparatively, they ALWAYS seem to agree (had to say that because whenever I mention AMR, I get a few "they are crap" responses). Anyway, got a new ring last night, 10 ilvls higher than what I was wearing. Using the new ring (gemmed and enchanted) shows some definite but very slight improvement in dps. BUT when I look at stat changes, gotta say I barf a bit. Here are the deltas:

Spell Pwr -2010
INT -2010
Crit -2.49%
Haste -2.51%
Mastery -0.18%
Vers +4.9%
Stam -355
Mac HP -21300

Seriously, the increase in versatility really trumps all those stats I'd be loosing? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this... I mean versatility has never been know to be such a significant stats for us. I think in most places it's down around mastery at the bottom of the priority list.

COULD this be one of those instances where the real world and the simulated one don't march much to the same drummer? i.e. the sim runs a flawless fight whereas I general will score a lot below similarly equipped mages (old dood, not the best reflexes, the more times I run a specific fight, the better my dps is). FYI, my last set of gear changes (when I got the T21 2 pc) noticeably boosted dps on big boss fights, but "felt" terrible because my cast time gained a tenth of a second... I would rather not lose another tenth.
Cames

Re: To Sim or Not to Sim

Unread postby Cames Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:58 am

Without knowing all your stats, I can't know. But I have NEVER seen a higher ilvl item have less stamina than a lower ilvl item.
Greif9

Unread postby Greif9 Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:01 pm

a) It might well be, because versa has a worse conversion, so losing a combined 5% of haste and crit is less than 4.9% versa. The worse conversion is the reason why versa is not that great for some specs, but becomes better the more you have of other stats.

b) How do you loose int by changing rings, and how do you loose stamina by equipping a higher ilvl piece in one slot?
icetea666

Unread postby icetea666 Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:37 pm

If you go over 33.3% crit this might be true.
Crit above 33.3% and mastery regardless of %, has veeery low weight.So you have haste that is good against 4.9% vers with 2 shitty stats and low spell power difference.
Srig

Unread postby Srig Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:04 pm

a) It might well be, because versa has a worse conversion, so losing a combined 5% of haste and crit is less than 4.9% versa. The worse conversion is the reason why versa is not that great for some specs, but becomes better the more you have of other stats.

b) How do you loose int by changing rings, and how do you loose stamina by equipping a higher ilvl piece in one slot?
this is my question. it's not possible that you ONLY swapped a ring of higher ilvl and resulted in lower int. Rings don't have Int.

can you check your premise here??

Oh and vers of that magnitude can offset the other stats if you were low on verse and high on crit to begin with, relatively speaking.
Makz

Unread postby Makz Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:06 am

Wearing injector will also push your crit/haste ratings down quite a bit to around 28-30% range.
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface
Brightbrown

Unread postby Brightbrown Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:59 pm

It gets weirder! I knida missed it, but part of those "new stats" had to do with the function telling me to replace a 940 relic with a 915! THAT is why I lost SP & STAM. The 940 rank 3 is +30% all damage from Flurry vs. the 915s +16% ice lance crit damage (and how does that work when I am back to 28.75% crit?). When I locked the relic @ the 940, a slightly different picture emerged. STAM went up as it shoiuld have. Here are the original values of the 3 stats changing:

Crit 31.23% - 28.75
Haste 34.71% - 32.28
Vers 8.36% - 13.26%

Old stats, new stats. Just looking for some confirmation that versatility REALLY can make SUCH a difference. Like I said, the dfference sims very, very small, my inclination is to NOT lose another tenth in cast times.
Cames

Unread postby Cames Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:21 pm

It can...especially that we don't know all your gear. Haste is most valuable around boundaries to fit entire spell casts inside an Icy Veins or a Time Warp. Other than that, Vers is actually more powerful. And you are up almost 5% Vers. Crit gets very low value starting about 28%. At 31%, it will probably be worth 1/2 of the per point difference of Vers or Haste. You know...you do have that handy little formula that Simming spits out. It tells you how much each point of each trait is worth.
Brightbrown

Unread postby Brightbrown Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 am

Hmmm, was operating by the "crit softcap at 33%." Decrease in value at 28%... new info, thanks. Don't recall the formula you mention... maybe because the 2 sims I run are from AMR and raidbots?

Return to “Frost”