What to do if Shard of the Exodar is not an option

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Yllasera

What to do if Shard of the Exodar is not an option

Unread postby Yllasera Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi folks,

Basically - I'm often the only mage in the raid, we have no shammy, hunter has no pet, and TW is saved until a specific phase at the fight, i.e. I can't use it twice because of the 5min cd.

What should I do in a situation where I don't benefit from this valuable bonus? Use a different legendary ring? (Other than rings I have the bracers and Celumbra).
Enimonemo

Re: What to do if Shard of the Exodar is not an option

Unread postby Enimonemo Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Drums of Fury is a good alternative for a 25% haste buff! You can buy some for a low price at the AH.
Fonzey

Unread postby Fonzey Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:37 pm

Yeah drums will work, so that takes care of that.

The other part of your question is what to do if bloodlust is not used early in the fight. I've been trying to work that out myself.

At this point in progress, even popping BL in the final phase of immonar (for example) would still allow me time to pop mine right after it meaning that I get double back to back bloodlusts in the final phase, though it's ofc only possible for me to line one of those up with IV - which diminishes the value of it a little.

The only real alternative is to wear Sephuz for the 2% haste passive that includes, but I'm not sure what APL changes would need making to simulate whether or not this beats out a BL out-of-sync with cooldowns.
Eatmymanapie

Unread postby Eatmymanapie Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:51 am

I really like Soul of the Archmage when you can't get a second lust and aren't using Sephuz (saving lust on progression, etc.). You can get the passive Frozen Touch which will help you to get more ice lances to help burst down adds when paired with the talent Splitting Ice. I've been using this ring on Aggramar since we save lust for 30%.

Sephuz is the obvious choice if you can proc it once every ~30s though, this will outperform Shard of the Exodar if you can proc it often.

Always keep drums on you though, they are very handy when doing M+ without another lust or if your BM hunter needs to have a rez pet out. Use your 40% Time Warp for the group and follow it up with the 25% drums.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:17 am

Sephuz that does not proc is still better than soul. FT really doesn't add as much as you'd think.
Makz

Unread postby Makz Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:49 pm

People see 40% or so in the Frozen Touch tooltip and think thats a flat 40% increase. Unfortunately it doesnt work that way. Ontopic - in Antorus you can use sephuz on several fights for your burst windows. Exodar ring being ilevel 1000 provides insane crit/haste which means you can equip more vers/ilevel in other pieces.

I personally found that even though half the bosses on Mythic require hero for last phase, you can probably squeeze at least 20-30 seconds of the second hero in(a full one on progress fights as people tend to die in the last percentages on stuff like Imonar). Making sure to have at least 3 traits into Clarity of Thought makes the 2nd hero haste valuable, even tho you might not have IV up as it can net you more procs.
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface
Yllasera

Unread postby Yllasera Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:18 pm

People see 40% or so in the Frozen Touch tooltip and think thats a flat 40% increase. Unfortunately it doesnt work that way.
It's still sth to consider though, imo - translates to about +5% increase, which isn't bad especially in addition to Splitting Ice. But yeah, like you said, I still pref to keep the Shard, and have a chance for a partial TW.

It's funny how one of our key leggos is out of sync with the actual raid content... It would make more sense if it would just apply an extra TW as a self buff, whenever you want. Nobody else benefits from it anyway, so designing it as an extra group-wide TW is actually just a hindrance to the mage who's using it.
Bhallspawn

Unread postby Bhallspawn Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Hey, sorry for stealing topic but I noticed that wow analyzer here :)

Just a quick question that might help OP as well..I stared playing frost recently and it looks like I'm doing mostly ok but my every log has this issue.

You failed to Frostbolt or Ebonbolt into Winter's Chill 18 times (60.00%}). Make sure you hard cast just before each instant Flurry to benefit from Shatter.
60.00% Winter's Chill not shattered with Frostbolt or Ebonbolt (10.00% is recommended

I don't understand what I am doing wrong.
Lets say I get brain freeze proc. I cast frostbolt, once it launches I instantly use flurry and after that ice lance..am i doing something wrong?
Yllasera

Unread postby Yllasera Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Let me begin with saying that your user name betrays an exquisite taste in gaming ;-)

As for Winter's Chill issue - I'm struggling with the same. I think it's actually quite hard to execute due to lag. I might be wrong... But the reason I suspect this is an issue is that bc I'm using Quartz, and I can still cast Frostbolt before the shown cast timer is up. I.e. even a castbar addon that takes latency into account can't get it precisely right. This could easily mess up our usual BF/FB/Flurry/IL practice. I suspect that more often than not the Frostbolt/Ebonbolt actually lands before Flurry.
Xerci

Unread postby Xerci Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:37 am

R u standing too close
roldy

Unread postby roldy Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Let me begin with saying that your user name betrays an exquisite taste in gaming ;-)

As for Winter's Chill issue - I'm struggling with the same. I think it's actually quite hard to execute due to lag. I might be wrong... But the reason I suspect this is an issue is that bc I'm using Quartz, and I can still cast Frostbolt before the shown cast timer is up. I.e. even a castbar addon that takes latency into account can't get it precisely right. This could easily mess up our usual BF/FB/Flurry/IL practice. I suspect that more often than not the Frostbolt/Ebonbolt actually lands before Flurry.
Not sure if it as an issue for you as well. But I used quartz and had noticable input lag. Causing me to sometimes fuck up casts. Turns out the reason was quartz itself. Once I deleted it everything worked fine.
Bhallspawn

Unread postby Bhallspawn Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:18 am

I remember tweaking some input latency setting so I could use double ice lance in nighthold raid..maybe that is the reason?
roldy

Unread postby roldy Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:43 am

I remember tweaking some input latency setting so I could use double ice lance in nighthold raid..maybe that is the reason?
How high/low did you set it? Try /dump GetCVar("SpellQueueWindow") to find out.
Bhallspawn

Unread postby Bhallspawn Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:11 pm

It is 210...and my ping averages 40-45...
Yllasera

Unread postby Yllasera Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Not sure if it as an issue for you as well. But I used quartz and had noticable input lag. Causing me to sometimes fuck up casts. Turns out the reason was quartz itself. Once I deleted it everything worked fine.
Are you using some other castbar in its place? Or does the standard one suffice...?
roldy

Unread postby roldy Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Are you using some other castbar in its place? Or does the standard one suffice...?
Using ElvUI and the castbar that comes with it. So far nothing to complain about.

Return to “Frost”