Single or AoE DPS or damage

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
macca

Single or AoE DPS or damage

Unread postby macca Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:23 pm

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... m/advanced" target="_blank

Hi folks, im running with 15832 haste as frost, im happy with my damage during raids but im not sure about my DPS, im thinking Damage is more about DoT's and killing groups of adds, where DPS is more akin to single target boss fights?, my DPS on meters doesn't look that great and im in two minds about what to do, as in. is my build going to give me lots of damage on multi targets and lacking on single?, if so, what would you say is the most important as our guild is progressing on HC SoO atm?, or I have misunderstood the difference between damage and dps, thanks in advance :)
Mumrit

Re: Single or AoE DPS or damage

Unread postby Mumrit Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Damage = Amount of damage you deal to all targets over a fight.
DPS (Damage Per Second) = Amount of damage you're dealing to that point, divided by the time it took to deal that damage.

Damage / UpTime = DPS

If your DPS is low, but your damage is still good when compared to others in your raid who are dealing more DPS, it means that you have a better Uptime on targets. Uptime is the portion of the encounter that you're actively dealing damage to targets.

Total damage done is more important than DPS on most encounters, but as your DPS increases (assuming uptime remains the same), your total damage will increase

I hope that helps answer your question a bit.
macca

Re: Single or AoE DPS or damage

Unread postby macca Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:57 pm

Damage = Amount of damage you deal to all targets over a fight.
DPS (Damage Per Second) = Amount of damage you're dealing to that point, divided by the time it took to deal that damage.

Damage / UpTime = DPS

If your DPS is low, but your damage is still good when compared to others in your raid who are dealing more DPS, it means that you have a better Uptime on targets. Uptime is the portion of the encounter that you're actively dealing damage to targets.

Total damage done is more important than DPS on most encounters, but as your DPS increases (assuming uptime remains the same), your total damage will increase

I hope that helps answer your question a bit.
You answered it perfectly, maybe my style is obsessive bomb uptime hehe :p not sure if that's what a frost mage I meant to do but it works, thanks for the promt reply :D

Return to “Frost”