[6.0] Alternative frost "rotation".

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
nathyiel

Re: [6.0] Alternative frost "rotation".

Unread postby nathyiel Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Did you not include a Meta/Bloodlust DPS number? Because 27431*1.2 = 32917

Otherwise 27431/28148 is ~2.6% gain
The sim isn't optimized for no ice lances. I'm getting the 20% from the spreadsheet.
The actual sim is optimized for WoD but it won't be this difficult to set it up for 6.0 and check if casting FoF-IL is interesting or not depending of the condition.
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
lynx

Unread postby lynx Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:55 am

Wasn't it like this even in 5.4, the only difference, as far as i can remember, is that the cut-off for mastery was much higher (100% or 120%) than this. Should definitely try it in the raid :lol:

In 5.4 we needed 130% mastery and 50% haste. I.e. impossible.
This was only true with local analysis (pure DPET). Sims, more comprehensive analysis and actual testing showed otherwise. The cutoff point was indeed somewhere at 80% mastery for static fights. On movement fights the threshold was quite lower.

Pure DPET analysis is wrong in many cases. For example when bombs snapshotted, it was a DPET gain to refresh at about 50% duration, which is a clear dps loss.
durrtygoodz

Unread postby durrtygoodz Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:06 am

Pure DPET analysis is wrong in many cases. For example when bombs snapshotted, it was a DPET gain to refresh at about 50% duration, which is a clear dps loss.
The two are not comparable. With snapshotting, you are using a GCD to half the value of a previous spent GCD (the one that applied the DoT that gets overwritten). When the DPET calculations were being worked out for that it didn't take it that into account.

With this though it's more clear cut. It's simply a matter of "all my spells are 1 second, what does the most damage". And we're comparing frostbolt+icicle VS. ice lance. Finding the answer to that question can (and was) found out using simple a simple DPET spreadsheet. The same has been done here, just with UM added.
Laere

Unread postby Laere Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:55 pm

With 3 weeks until WoD, and the fact bosses already die in less than a minute, is it even worth adopting this at all?
durrtygoodz

Unread postby durrtygoodz Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:04 pm

With 3 weeks until WoD, and the fact bosses already die in less than a minute, is it even worth adopting this at all?
It's not like it takes any effort.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Depends what you consider "worth it". It's not going to matter on helping you kill bosses, but if you enjoy minmaxing / ranking / doing as much deeps as you can, then yes, it's worth it. and bosses dying in less than a minute only helps this "rotation", since it's at its strongest during haste procs/icy veins.
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
Laere

Unread postby Laere Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:39 pm

I will give it a shot in a heroic group tonight. Also I am literally 2% from 80% mastery, I will gem some mastery to get that up to that point too.
Sturmcantor

Unread postby Sturmcantor Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:54 pm

I will give it a shot in a heroic group tonight. Also I am literally 2% from 80% mastery, I will gem some mastery to get that up to that point too.
I still don't get where this 80% mastery value is coming from. It's definitely not the breakeven point for ignoring IL completely based on DPET in the spreadsheet.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 pm

I still don't get where this 80% mastery value is coming from. It's definitely not the breakeven point for ignoring IL completely based on DPET in the spreadsheet.
It's not a hard number, it's a rough estimate based on many factors.

In general, just use the spreadsheet, input your stats, toggle on/off buffs as you're interested in, and see at what points you can ice lance.
Owner of Altered Time.

honkeymagoo

Unread postby honkeymagoo Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:46 pm

I have two situations where I'm wondering if it'd be worth ice lancing, even if the DPET of a frostbolt is greater.
-at the end of an int proc, where the buff would fall off mid frostbolt cast and it would be an int buffed ice lance vs an non buffed frostbolt
-at the end of a fight, to dump excess icicles to prevent ending a fight with 5
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:28 am

I have two situations where I'm wondering if it'd be worth ice lancing, even if the DPET of a frostbolt is greater.
-at the end of an int proc, where the buff would fall off mid frostbolt cast and it would be an int buffed ice lance vs an non buffed frostbolt
-at the end of a fight, to dump excess icicles to prevent ending a fight with 5
Both of them I would ice lance instead of frostbolt, unless during your first example, you still have haste procs (meta/bloodlust) going.
Owner of Altered Time.

Laere

Unread postby Laere Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:33 am

Did 31k On Sha of Pride, literally all mastery and frostbolt, this is insane.

Also do I keep icy veins glyph on? since its just the glyph whereas icy veins is the buff?

Because with all buffs off other than UM and Icy veins glyph my FB+FFB DPET is a lot greater than ice lance.
Eraze

Unread postby Eraze Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:38 am

Initially, I had exactly the same question in my mind.

I could be wrong but I imagine it wouldn't be useful to keep it on since it only relates to using IV, which seems it would always appear as an increase.

I'm really curious to try this now, given your gear is very similar to mine. How did you do on the other fights?
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:26 am

Did 31k On Sha of Pride, literally all mastery and frostbolt, this is insane.

Also do I keep icy veins glyph on? since its just the glyph whereas icy veins is the buff?

Because with all buffs off other than UM and Icy veins glyph my FB+FFB DPET is a lot greater than ice lance.
Checking icy veins (glyph) means glyphed icy veins is active. The other icy veins means you didn't glyph icy veins and it's on.

So only check one of them.
Owner of Altered Time.

Kobelol

Unread postby Kobelol Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:18 am

I was sort of testing this throughout the night, my guild does split runs with bad alts and mains (to gear up for levelling, so kill times aren't great) and I only ever cast IL while moving (no Ice Floes procs) or to fit in a FoF-IL at the end of a significant proc (to fit in a bit more damage, not sure if it was worth it at all but figured it was okay).

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Zqz ... amage-done" target="_blank - Garrosh
http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Zqz ... e&fight=32" target="_blank - Siegecrafter, I messed up by casting Frozen Orb at the start. :(

Not too bad for the fight durations, but it could've been better definitely.
durrtygoodz

Unread postby durrtygoodz Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:57 am

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Zqz ... e&fight=32" target="_blank - Siegecrafter, I messed up by casting Frozen Orb at the start. :(
2 Frozen Orbs are better than 1, even if you don't utilize the FoFs that the first gives.
Laere

Unread postby Laere Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:45 pm

I actually was first on a few fights.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/re ... #boss=1601" target="_blank - Siegcrafter
http://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/re ... #boss=1603" target="_blank - Nazgrim

Currently sitting at ~34% haste and 91% mastery raid buffed.
Lak

Unread postby Lak Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:05 pm

Most interesting thing here is that the 4-piece did 5.25 % of your dmg on SC. Which is explained by skipping IL and only casting FB+FFB (4pc only procs on BF-FFB)

Coincidence or is 4-pc the way to go with this strat?

Edit: Looked again and noticed you got 6 4-pc procs on 8 BF-FFB which is nothing but insane luck ("should" have been 2.4)
Question remains though, even with "correct" amount of 4-p procs.
Laere

Unread postby Laere Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Yeah I am still going for wf off pieces as of now. Just need the legs off Juggernaut.
Eraze

Unread postby Eraze Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:13 am

Looks like they're nerfing frostbolt by 20%, probably before our raid :(

Return to “Frost”