Table of Contents
4. Strengths and Weaknesses
The Orb build focuses on utilizing https://www.wowhead.com/spell=272968/packed-ice to turn https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb into a large damage CD. It relies heavily on synergy between talents and gear, and should be simmed to see if it is worth using for you.
While https://www.wowhead.com/spell=199786/glacial-spike builds for frost rely heavily on being far enough away from the target to shatter https://www.wowhead.com/spell=199786/glacial-spike, Orb build runs into different positional issues. Mainly keeping targets within your https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb. Thinking ahead to when/where the boss will be moved is vital to ensuring you get maximum effectiveness from your https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb usage.
- https://www.wowhead.com/spell=205024/lonely-winter gives a 25% increase in damage to https://www.wowhead.com/spell=30455/ice-lance, which is the primary damage source of this build
- https://www.wowhead.com/spell=212653/shimmer is used primarily for movement, though can be used to shimerlance (see advanced)
- https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116011/rune-of-power is used to increase damage during the https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb window, which compliments the bursty nature of this build
- https://www.wowhead.com/spell=278309/chain-reaction is another multiplier on your https://www.wowhead.com/spell=30455/ice-lance damage to further increase its usefulness
- https://www.wowhead.com/spell=270233/freezing-rain and https://www.wowhead.com/spell=155149/thermal-void are the staple of this variant. This tends to be the highest single target version of this build, though it does depend on gear
- https://www.wowhead.com/spell=205021/ray-of-frost typically does better Single Target when paired with https://www.wowhead.com/spell=56377/splitting-ice. https://www.wowhead.com/spell=205021/ray-of-frost is used primarily for its https://www.wowhead.com/spell=112965/fingers-of-frost generation, not its own damage. It makes every other https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb much more consistent for damage.
- In any https://www.wowhead.com/spell=205021/ray-of-frost version of PI build I would recommend considering https://www.wowhead.com/spell=108839/ice-floes over https://www.wowhead.com/spell=212653/shimmer, it allows you to stay within your https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116011/rune-of-power, while channeling https://www.wowhead.com/spell=205021/ray-of-frost which is often quite useful.
- https://www.wowhead.com/spell=56377/splitting-ice + https://www.wowhead.com/spell=155149/thermal-void takes off in two target cleave. The two targets makes it much easier to get the second https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb within your https://www.wowhead.com/spell=12472/icy-veins without needing instant casts of https://www.wowhead.com/spell=278600/blizzard from https://www.wowhead.com/spell=270233/freezing-rain. And https://www.wowhead.com/spell=56377/splitting-ice allows https://www.wowhead.com/spell=30455/ice-lance to hit both targets.
- With the same talent setup as Thermal Void single target, this build specializes in single target damage during large packs. https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb and https://www.wowhead.com/spell=276776/blizzard will be your main AoE, while you launch https://www.wowhead.com/spell=30455/ice-lance into priority targets. Similar to subtlety rogues this build gains single target damage from having more targets.
1. Precast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116/frostbolt
b. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb
c. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116011/rune-of-power, if https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb was your previous cast
d. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=30455/ice-lance, if you have an https://www.wowhead.com/spell=112965/fingers-of-frost, or https://www.wowhead.com/spell=44614/flurry was your previous cast
e. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=278600/blizzard, if you are talented into https://www.wowhead.com/spell=270233/freezing-rain, or there are two or more targets
f. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=44614/flurry, if you have a https://www.wowhead.com/spell=231584/brain-freeze
g. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=205021/ray-of-frost
h. Cancel https://www.wowhead.com/spell=205021/ray-of-frost, if you have 2 https://www.wowhead.com/spell=112965/fingers-of-frost
i. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=276776/blizzard
j. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116/frostbolt
b. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=30455/ice-lance, if you have 1 https://www.wowhead.com/spell=112965/fingers-of-frost, and https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb CD is more than 5 seconds
c. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=44614/flurry, if you have a https://www.wowhead.com/spell=231584/brain-freeze and your previous cast was https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116/frostbolt
d. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=276776/blizzard
e. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116/frostbolt
f. Hold https://www.wowhead.com/spell=12472/icy-veins until within five seconds of https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb coming off CD
b. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=12472/icy-veins + ramping trinkets
c. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb
d. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116011/rune-of-power
e. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=30455/ice-lance till you are out of https://www.wowhead.com/spell=112965/fingers-of-frost
f. Cast Instant cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=278600/blizzard, if talented into https://www.wowhead.com/spell=270233/freezing-rain
g. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=44614/flurry > https://www.wowhead.com/spell=30455/ice-lanceif you have a https://www.wowhead.com/spell=231584/brain-freeze from your precast
h. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=276776/blizzard
i. Cast any more https://www.wowhead.com/spell=30455/ice-lance procs
j. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=205021/ray-of-frost if talented
k. Cancel https://www.wowhead.com/spell=205021/ray-of-frost at 2 https://www.wowhead.com/spell=112965/fingers-of-frost
l. Cast https://www.wowhead.com/spell=30455/ice-lance until 0 procs
Strengths and Weaknesses
- While this is similar to subtlety rogue, it has one major advantage. The extra adds do not need to be stacked on the target that your https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb is on, though they do need to be stacked somewhere.
- If the fight has heavy boss movement, or your https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb bugs, you will lose a lot of potential damage
There are a few more advanced rotational changes that can be made if you feel as though you want to maximize damage, however in general these should not be used until you are 100% comfortable with the rest of the rotation. They are minimal reward for higher risk.
- This should not be done within https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116011/rune-of-power, but is an increase outside of https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116011/rune-of-power.
- This opportunity is rare, and mistakes are costly
- Spending a movement ability for more damage is also risky on fights where you should be using https://www.wowhead.com/spell=212653/shimmer for mechanics
- This trait only increases damage during your https://www.wowhead.com/spell=84714/frozen-orb, which is the reason behind most talent choices and rotational changes to this build.
- In two target cleave scenarios 2 https://www.wowhead.com/spell=272968/packed-iceand 1 https://www.wowhead.com/spell=288164/flash-freeze can do better than 3 https://www.wowhead.com/spell=272968/packed-ice 0 https://www.wowhead.com/spell=288164/flash-freeze if you have to choose between a https://www.wowhead.com/spell=272968/packed-ice or an https://www.wowhead.com/spell=288164/flash-freeze
- The first Whiteout you gain is less valuable than the first https://www.wowhead.com/spell=288164/flash-freeze, but a second Whiteout is generally better than a second https://www.wowhead.com/spell=288164/flash-freeze
- While this trait can reduce the ticks of your blizzards as it lowers your haste, the overall haste gain still makes this trait the strongest choice
Why do we cast blizzard on single target when it does so little damage?
Blizzard damage is not the important part. every tick of blizzard reduces your frozen orb CD by .5 seconds. the full 9 ticks on single target brings you 4.5 seconds closer to your next orb
How do we use procs differently to standard frost mage?
As we are not running Glacial Spike we don't have to worry about saving Brain Freeze procs to cast with it. We also prioritize the use of an FoF over a Brain Freeze, where standard GS would munch the FoF
If I don't have a Rune charge, do I wait to cast Orb until I do?
No, you should cast orb as soon as you can, and just use the next rune charge you gain on your next orb.
Is it possible to use Incanters Flow with this build?
Incanters flow will only be an increase in this build for long sustained AoE where you have far greater orb uptime compared to rune uptime.
What do I do when tanks move things out of my orb?
Thank you to everyone who helped me with developing this build and the guide as well. Special thank you to Dorovon for all the random sim tests he ran to help me figure out the best way to optimize things. Herusx, Azevara, Pandey, Frosty, Norrinir, and Razzik for helping proof read my drafts. And thank you to everyone who has tried out this build. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have