Fire Trinket Discussion Megathread

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Purplefrost

Re: Fire Trinket Discussion Megathread

Unread postby Purplefrost Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:04 am

Hey guys first time poster, Here's my piece

I am currently using a 865 sinew heroic which i got last week which i know to be BiS for me, what i would like to know is should i change out my shock baton 840 for a 880 swarming plaguehive which i got tonight from the boss kill ?
Definitely shock baton. The swarming plaguehive does very little single target damage from my personal in game testing.
Purplefrost

Unread postby Purplefrost Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:05 am

and how do you manage kindling+sinew
Refer to my post on page 5 for Sinew rotation with kindling
kamui

Unread postby kamui Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:46 am

Crit is just so valuable I will never consider running without the shock baton, I've been using my static int+crit world quest trinket and had much better results vs Oakhearts.
I don't know about you, but Baton is worse for me in both sims and in practice than Oakheart's. If you're testing this when questing or in dungeons, then Baton will look better because of the instant damage compared to Oakheart's damage being spread over 6 seconds. Having more crit from Baton feels good, but the trinket is objectively inferior given the ilvl gap against raid bosses.
Hachiun

Unread postby Hachiun Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:16 pm

Ok... I am completely confused about the whole trinket thing.

Currently I have 859 ilvl with decent itemization with crit as the superior stat on everything, but my belt.

And then comes the trinkets, I have 865 Sinew that I usually keep on all situations, 835 Baton (that I cannot figure out how good it is), 850 Hive and 850 Oakheart.

Can anyone please shed some light into this for me? I feel like Baton at this point has fallen behind a bit, I have been using Sinew + Hive on most situations. I've used simcraft a bunch of times already with different configs trying to figure out what would be better in theory, but in game I get different results.

I'm so confused with this trinket mess that we are in. -_-

EDIT: I also have the Twister trinket that I personally think is complete shit since the little purple hurricane dont do much damage and spin AWAY from everything Im currently dpsing. People in my guild told me that is one of the best trinkets right now, I just think they have no idea wtf they are talking about.

EDIT 2 : Also! Hive procs on casting freaking Polimorph...fuck me! haha
Last edited by Hachiun on Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
broedrost

Unread postby broedrost Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:19 pm

dont read his post he's talking about his own experience which is clearly wrong
lanaflorana

Unread postby lanaflorana Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:46 pm

So I've been testing out my current trinket hoard (Plaguehive 865, Manacracker 855, Twisting Winds 850, Shock Baton 845, Bough of Corruption 850, and Sinew 850), and have found that my best combo so far has been Plaguehive + Manacracker. I know this is a drop in crit (down to 51% vs 54% with baton or sinew) and gives me much more haste than necessary(13%/4,370), but on a two combust test, it brought about 20-40k more dps than any other combo.

I'm still unsure as to whether or not this is the best trinket combo for my fire mage though. I've grown quite accustomed to Wriggling Sinew, but it's useless on anything other than boss level, and needs a 30 second wait when switching back after trash. Should I just stick to what I have now? Or should I give Sinew the benefit of the doubt and keep using it on bosses? I don't have a sim addon, and frankly don't really know how to use one. I just use Skada for all my dps needs.
MrSnaps

Unread postby MrSnaps Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Hello all,

Today I received an 870 Gnarled Root from my order hall chest.

Previously i have been using an 840 Shock Baton and an 850 Swarming Plaguehive.

Everything that I see has Gnarled Root as a better option than the plaguehive, even at equal item level.

However, when testing on a dummy, at ten minute intervals, I am finding that the plaguehive does 7.7 million damage, and the root does 6.4 million damage. In addition to this, I am finding that my dps as a whole is higher with the plaguehive than the root. Using the exact same rotation, same time length, and etc.

Does this make sense? Is an 850 plaguehive actually stronger than an 870 gnarled root?
shvndrgn

Unread postby shvndrgn Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:24 am

Hey guys first time poster, Here's my piece

I am currently using a 865 sinew heroic which i got last week which i know to be BiS for me, what i would like to know is should i change out my shock baton 840 for a 880 swarming plaguehive which i got tonight from the boss kill ?
40 ilvl should be more than enough to make the Plaguehive worth the swap. I simmed higher with a 850 SPh vs a 835 DsSB. Only way to know for sure is to sim your character with both trinket combinations.
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:20 pm

Does anyone have a WA to track wriggling sinew cd ?
Falq

Unread postby Falq Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:53 pm

This is my aura for sinew:
Shines when active, shows stacks when they r up on you and shows cd when neither of it is true.
http://pastebin.com/sEEPPJyy" target="_blank
Jokerpr0

Unread postby Jokerpr0 Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:10 am

Got Arcanocrystal 860 and 865 Horn of Valor.
There is no way I should be using 825 shock baton, right?
Høkkabaz

Unread postby Høkkabaz Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:34 pm

what about unstable horrorslime, proc seems to do good amount of damage in rune of power
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:25 pm

This is my aura for sinew:
Shines when active, shows stacks when they r up on you and shows cd when neither of it is true.
http://pastebin.com/sEEPPJyy" target="_blank
Thanks works great! And i like the little fading effect.
Hogar

Unread postby Hogar Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:51 pm

I've been a bit confused with trinkets and need some help

Currently I have an 850 sinew, 875 Swarming Plaguehive, and the Darkmoon Deck.

Which two should I be using? I've been assuming the Sinew/Plaguehive, but I'm also low on crit (around 10k)
Senõrburns

Unread postby Senõrburns Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Hey guys,

I could use some advice on what trinkets to run:

Wriggling Sinew (870)
Plague Swarm (885)
Twisting Winds (880)
Devilsaur Shock Baton (825)
Arcanoshatter Crystal (860)

I guess Wriggling Sinew & Plague Swarm at this point.

What are your thoughts guys?
broedrost

Unread postby broedrost Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Hey guys,

I could use some advice on what trinkets to run:

Wriggling Sinew (870)
Plague Swarm (885)
Twisting Winds (880)
Devilsaur Shock Baton (825)
Arcanoshatter Crystal (860)

I guess Wriggling Sinew & Plague Swarm at this point.

What are your thoughts guys?
I'd run sinew + arcano, no doubt.
LaplaceNoMa

Unread postby LaplaceNoMa Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:23 pm

dont read his post he's talking about his own experience which is clearly wrong
'Clearly wrong' is the description for people who claim that you need to wait for combustion and/or stick to Cinderstorm. The best way to use sinew with Kindling is to use it on cooldown, making sure the non-combustion ones hit with 5 PI and in RoP. The only reason to wait for combustion is when you are 100% certain you won't fit even one extra use of the trinket, which can only happen when the fight is ~4:20-4:30.
Falq

Unread postby Falq Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:53 pm

'Clearly wrong' is the description for people who claim that you need to wait for combustion and/or stick to Cinderstorm. The best way to use sinew with Kindling is to use it on cooldown, making sure the non-combustion ones hit with 5 PI and in RoP. The only reason to wait for combustion is when you are 100% certain you won't fit even one extra use of the trinket, which can only happen when the fight is ~4:20-4:30.
I may be missing something or you have to be really lucky to get 5 PI without combustion at this particular time when your trinket go off cd?

Also properly used Sinew vs only in RoP non crit is like half of the damage or even less. Will do some testing when I get home but when I looked at it in my guild private logs it was 750-800k hits vs 2.3mln full buffed combo (865 version of trinket). In this case you should always wait for full cds before firing trinket, and you have to delay either combustion or trinket. Everything complicates and basically using Kindlings is more problematic than going CiS.

Also remember that stacks blow up only when 10 are spend, so if you dps adds (like on Il'gynoth) there is no way you apply 10 stacks and add with first stack is still alive, so it's dps loss.

My advice is either use Sinew without Kindling so Comb/5PI/RoP every 2 mins for single target and hit 2mln+ each cast doing same thing every time cds go off cd or go with any other trinket and pick Kindling, dps adds go whatever you want.

This trinket is either do things correctly or don't do them at all. If you keep failing and fire <1mln hits often prob passive Int/Crit trinket is more efficient for you.
LaplaceNoMa

Unread postby LaplaceNoMa Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:24 pm

The problem is, if you can fit in an extra combustion with kindling, there is no reason to go cinderstorm. Even one extra combustion is enough for Kindling to be better than even perfectly used CiS. AND if you're going kindling (due to being able to fit an extra combustion), you do NOT delay that kindled combustion for Sinew, because even if it doesn't crit out of combustion, you'll lose a lot more by not having that extra combustion.

//edit: I just checked my logs, with a 2.38m usual combustion-crit, my out-of-combustion hits are 1.5-1.7m on all pulls. Didn't find a lower one.
broedrost

Unread postby broedrost Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:50 pm

making sure the non-combustion ones hit with 5 PI and in RoP.
good luck doing that continuously. not only does it require luck to reach 5 stacks of PI when your sinew comes off cooldown, you're also triggering sinew with like a 40% chance to be a non critical one. just stupid if you ask me :) you are allowed to have your opinion but don't hand out guidelines and don't tell others how to play when you are playing a very specific playstyle of your own

Return to “Fire”