Nëlfy's 7.1.5 Arcane Guide - Updated 2/14/17

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
rab

Re: Nëlfy's 7.0 Arcane Mage Guide

Unread postby rab Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:45 pm

i did only a quick look at you, and there a few things i would asume they can help you

maybe you have too much mastery and REALLY LOW crit? try to get a little more crit (and maybe vers) instead of mastery. (but i am not sure if i am right on this one)
your trinkets are also not the best ones.

and rotationwise i cannot see a heavy error, but you should definetly use nether tempest more often (it should kind of have an uptime from 100%)

also you dont use flask/potions? thats really big DPS-wise
Kauchy

Unread postby Kauchy Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:00 pm

Yeah dunno about the stats, if someone could help for that because i'm a bit depressed about the situation
yeah trinketwise i also have the nythendra's trinket (swarming plaguehive) but i guess its not the best too

About NT, i mean i dont use it for the opener nor for the burst phase so yeah maybe i'm wrong about this

I'd really like to improve otherwise i'll have to spec fire :ll
Causese

Unread postby Causese Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:18 pm

Yeah dunno about the stats, if someone could help for that because i'm a bit depressed about the situation
yeah trinketwise i also have the nythendra's trinket (swarming plaguehive) but i guess its not the best too

About NT, i mean i dont use it for the opener nor for the burst phase so yeah maybe i'm wrong about this

I'd really like to improve otherwise i'll have to spec fire :ll
you're definitely doing some major mistakes

you only managed to use super nova 3 times (25s cd) in a 5min fight
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PN ... ity=157980" target="_blank

your nether tempest uptime is... :cry:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PN ... ity=114923" target="_blank

it also seems like you were sitting at 2 rune of power charges at times

you seem to be casting mark of aluneth after rune, not before

your lack of damage is 100% not the result of you lacking trinkets or whatever. learning how to dps properly gives you the highest boost in damage. not gear

i suggest reading the guide and watching my video from page 1 and eventually you will figure it out
orrr just go with fire
Kauchy

Unread postby Kauchy Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Thank you for your feedback, your video is great, may i whisper you or something to go talk further about that ?

Glad i met some fellow arcanist ! (i only play mage for 6 days sooooo kinda hard)
Eona

Unread postby Eona Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Just a little suggestion, you may want to add to the "burn phase" portion that you want to wait for specifically Evocation to be off of cooldown, since often times AP is up before Evo is, and you don't want to burn and be sitting around at ~10% mana for 20+ seconds.
a0kalittlema0n

Unread postby a0kalittlema0n Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I've updated this guide quite a bit. Including a few posts from others that are valuable resources for anyone looking to play arcane.
Causese

Unread postby Causese Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:00 am

Conserve Phase:
This phase depends heavily on how much mastery/haste you have. The goal here is to time your mana, evocation CD, and quickening stacks so that you are able to enter burn phase with high quickening stacks. Depending on your Mastery:Haste ratio when you begin your mana burning to build stacks of Quickening and burn phase again will change. This is the main skill cap of Arcane as messing this up will give a solid DPS drop.

Quickening Mastery
The optimization of Quickening is the key to min/maxing your DPS as an Arcane mage. The ideal situation that you want to setup for burn phases is that you're close to 40~ stacks of Quickening before entering your burn phase while having enough mana to be able to finish your burn without having to cast an Arcane Barrage or Evocation. This is different for each mage with varying stats, but as you can see below that Arcane Barrage is being used to reset stacks of Quickening early on before the stacks get too high to perfectly time higher stacks with burn phases.
I'm confused. How do you enter burn phase with 40 stacks of quickening? :|
And why would you want that? At 50 stacks (10 casts later) quickening won't refresh anymore and expire after 6 seconds

is there some new nt spam rotation or what am i missing
a0kalittlema0n

Unread postby a0kalittlema0n Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:07 am

You would want that because you can cast so much quicker from 100% haste!

You can easily fit in more than 10 casts in those 13 seconds from Arcane Power. Then once quickening caps, you get another 4+ casts before it runs out in those 6 seconds. Even still you can pop AP/RoP etc at 36/38 stacks, then you easily get everything in before quickening resets.

You can do it two ways:
Without hero on pull you could do this:
Prepot -> Ablast x 4 -> MoA -> RoP -> Ablast/AM down to sub 10% mana -> Evo -> (shouild be roughly 20-33ish stacks at this point) build up to 35 stacks -> RoP (or MoA if up again already) -> AP -> Burn as much mana as possible -> re-RoP -> continue burn

This should leave you at about 40ish % mana roughly (napkin math once again) then you can do as many Ablast x 4 -> AM -> NT -> Barrage as you need to then begin stacking quickening -> Evo -> 35 stacks -> Burn again

With hero on pull you'd do basically the same thing but start sooner at around 20+ stacks while hero is still up. Aka with 20~ seconds left on hero buff, you start the burn. The downside is that you most likely will have to wait for evo to come off CD before you pop AP again if you AP before you evo with heroism.

This is all rough rotation-wise. This is still being perfected and once I come up with a solid way to rotate this that'll work optimally I'll post the exact rotation with some logs to uphold what I'm talking about. N/H Farm is wednesday, I'll try it out there.
neveroyatnii

Unread postby neveroyatnii Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:57 pm

Some things I noticed while analyzing the log you provided:
1) Quickening stacks and Mana breakdown (quickening is red graph above, mana - light blue, gray vertical lines - arcane blast casts, yellow - evocation, greeen - arcane power, purple - arcane barrage; BL was used @04:00).
(better to copy URL and open it in separate window for visibility)
2) Looks like Rhonin Armwraps are core for this build:
After using his first AP he casted 10+ AB and used only ~500k mana; without good procs it would consume 115500 * 10 = 1.1mil mana.
3) After burning, he uses AB @5-6 stacks of Quickening.

Stats:
Intellect: 35,603
Stamina: 37,988
Crit: 9,8%(3,430)
Haste: 15,08%(4,902)
Mastery: 43,39%(12,629)
Versatility: 2,54%(1,017)
Seatoo

Unread postby Seatoo Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Do we really take ToTM as the last golden dragon or am I reading the chart wrong?
a0kalittlema0n

Unread postby a0kalittlema0n Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:56 am

That is in terms of pre raid gearing and how it was simmed you're do the most damage. ToTM really isn't a huge DPS increase, but Arcane Rebound really helps with M+
Xenost

Unread postby Xenost Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:19 pm

You would want that because you can cast so much quicker from 100% haste!

You can easily fit in more than 10 casts in those 13 seconds from Arcane Power. Then once quickening caps, you get another 4+ casts before it runs out in those 6 seconds. Even still you can pop AP/RoP etc at 36/38 stacks, then you easily get everything in before quickening resets.

You can do it two ways:
Without hero on pull you could do this:
Prepot -> Ablast x 4 -> MoA -> RoP -> Ablast/AM down to sub 10% mana -> Evo -> (shouild be roughly 20-33ish stacks at this point) build up to 35 stacks -> RoP (or MoA if up again already) -> AP -> Burn as much mana as possible -> re-RoP -> continue burn

This should leave you at about 40ish % mana roughly (napkin math once again) then you can do as many Ablast x 4 -> AM -> NT -> Barrage as you need to then begin stacking quickening -> Evo -> 35 stacks -> Burn again

With hero on pull you'd do basically the same thing but start sooner at around 20+ stacks while hero is still up. Aka with 20~ seconds left on hero buff, you start the burn. The downside is that you most likely will have to wait for evo to come off CD before you pop AP again if you AP before you evo with heroism.

This is all rough rotation-wise. This is still being perfected and once I come up with a solid way to rotate this that'll work optimally I'll post the exact rotation with some logs to uphold what I'm talking about. N/H Farm is wednesday, I'll try it out there.

I'd really like this to be simmed, I'll try to play around with the APL this week-end to see where it ends up.
danieltang34

Unread postby danieltang34 Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 pm

Afaik for two targets, AE was good in terms of dmg per mana, and blast gives better DPS
Is AE no good for 2 target cleave anymore and is only good for 3+target after the indirect nerf?
Laniarty

Re: Nëlfy's 7.1 Arcane Mage Guide Updated 11/8

Unread postby Laniarty Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:20 am

Trinket list does not include Arcanocrystal? I thought that was right up there as one of the best trinkets we could get?
a0kalittlema0n

Unread postby a0kalittlema0n Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 am

This is from EN/ToV, so if you combine this trinket list with Bink's then you can find out where trinkets sim. It still doesn't put trinkets like bough vs. naraxas' yet, but that will be to come with further updates :)
Raiiyn

Unread postby Raiiyn Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:22 am

updated trinkets list posted

Would this be better than a brine?

Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:05 pm

Why is a haste brine simming high?

Return to “Arcane”