Hearthstone

Enjoy!
Kver
Administrator

Hearthstone

Unread postby Kver Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:45 pm

Very quick intro for me please. I want to try it out. I am a former MTG player, if that helps.
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

I solve problems. Have a problem? Send me a PM!
Chev
Global Moderator

Re: Hearthstone

Unread postby Chev Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:47 pm

Im sure someone with do it more experience will do more justice than me with the explanation as I stopped playing as soon as I got my mount for winning 3 PvP games. Also, I don't know what MTG is so I apologise if this description seems a bit condescending.

You start off with the Mage deck. Each card has a Mana cost, between 1 & 5 (if I remember correctly). You start off with 1 mana stone to spend and each turn you get your mana stones back plus 1 more until a max of 10 stones (again going from memory).

Cards are drawn randomly and you need to efficiently play the cards to either defend your self or attack. Most cards are some kind of minion which can be used to attack the AI / other players minions as they have Hit and or Defence points or you can attack the other player themselves. Other cards buff / debuff the minions or are direct spell abilities. E.g. Arcane Explosion. The game ends when the other player has lost all their health.

As you win against an AI class, you unlock that class to be able to play as there are daily quests in PvP such as "Win against a Priest" or "Win 3 matches in a row". The coins from questing can be used to buy more cards to build up your chosen class or you can make a custom deck with cards from all classes.

When you play other players, the server does it's best to match you with someone with similar experience.

The best advice I can say is the game is completely free so you may as well give it a try.

Next bit of advice. When using the Fireball in the Mage deck, be sure to click your character and then drag to the target you want to attack, don't just click your char and let go because then you attack yourself for 6 points of damage. Might not be an issue when playing on a computer but it was when playing on a touch screen laptop I suffered from this a few times as my finger lost contact with the screen.

** Edited to fix a few typos and change a few words to make the response read better
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:04 pm

MTG is Magic the Gathering. It sounds similar, except mana is a card(A land card) you play and there are different colours, so you actually need to draw these cards(Max of 1 land card played per turn, though there are abilities).

It sounds easy enough to try out. Are there many special effects? MTG has like 40 different effects and 1284291 artifacts with unique effects which kind of ruined the game.
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Ahh, that I have heard of but never seen or played so I couldn't give you an honest answer.

From memory, the majority of cards being minions the graphic is just a card attacking another card and then you see the defense points drop or the card disappear if the defence points run out. The main special effects are doing to be the different direct spell cards. E.g. You see a fireball leave your character and hit your target or with Arcane Explosion is a ring leaving your character and then all minions get hit at the same time.

This youtube will give you a much better image of what it is like to play compared to how I can I can describe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymuVLuV ... redirect=1" target="_blank
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:23 pm

That is indeed very helpful. Thank you!
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

MGT

Unread postby MGT Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:24 am

It is pretty similar to every other card game out there.. main difference just is that it has a ramping mana system from 1 from first turn to max of 10 adding 1 each turn. And minions have a certain mana cost.

Mostly it just comes down to math and solving best options and predicting what the opponent is going to do, hence you need to learn the cards and decks people are playing(if you play ranked). Also if you want to play ranked expect to use A LOT of money to play it competitively without doing any arenas.

Although if you only want to arena at the beginning.. it is quite easy after you do you research on the cards and how people like to play them.

But if you really wanna know how the game plays.. Just watch a streams for 30 mins or so and you'll have your answer. I'd recommend watching an arena stream as the variance of cards is fairly big in a short amount of time.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:58 pm

It's about winning in style.

Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:44 am

Yeah, that looks like a deck I'll have soon. >_>
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Best turn 2 ever.

Owner of Altered Time.

nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Best turn 2 ever.

let me quest
Turn 1 : Mana Wyrm
Turn 2 : Sorcerer's apprentice + Coin + Frostbolt + Ice Lance + Ice Lance + Mirror Image

I would really like to have those kind of output. But I really have no luck actually.

Can you link you're deck ?
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Guessed correctly! Except an arcane missiles instead of 2nd ice lance. He surrendered after this turn btw. I get an opener like this once every like 10-15 games or so I feel, and when I do, it's glorious.

Deck:

Owner of Altered Time.

MGT

Unread postby MGT Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Yeah that kinda of start is really annoying against anyone.. But realisticly Rogue is the only 1 who can deal with that on turn 3 by using deadly poison + Blade flurry. And shammy can hex, also druid can innervate swipe.

My best turn 2 has been double innervate Sunwalker, though I've done the same on turn 1 with coin.

P.S. I don't really get Leeroy in a mage.. You got 2 leeroys already(fireballs). But yes my Aggro Mage is the same with the addition of a Loot Hoarder and no Leeroy.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:13 pm

I've added Leeroy because I was meeting a lot of healing paladins, and I was out of damage while they were left on like 3-5hp a couple of times. I agree that leeroy is not that good in general in mage aggro deck.
Owner of Altered Time.

nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:18 pm

The problem is that there's only 3 type of deck for mage : aggro, control/freeze & control/secret.

I've try an aggro deck with only charge creature. It's really fun and bloody but I won't survive past turn 6.
Turkeyburger

Unread postby Turkeyburger Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:12 am

I've been playing Giants Mage since Freeze Mage felt too slow for me (heh). Basically the same play style but you sacrifice draw/ice barriers for giants. Giants are super hard for Zoo Locks/Druids/Rogues to deal with, which happen to be the most common decks atm.

Deck list: http://i.imgur.com/hcmubUN.png" target="_blank

You can trade a blizzard/flamestrike for another molten giant if wanted but I rarely get the chance to play 2. Some people prefer Antonidas over Pyroblast, I personally prefer Pyroblast since Antonidas is hard to play. Only issue is when you run into control warriors and don't have the extra fireballs from Anto (Most likely a loss anyway since win rate vs warriors is like 25%, if not lower).
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:16 pm

A quick question : What for you is the less interesting Legendary ?
(I don't speak of the special like tauren chieftain/gelbin)
Turkeyburger

Unread postby Turkeyburger Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:56 am

I'd say Thalnos tbh. Such a good card but not very interesting legendary wise
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 am

For me, it's Malygos. It cost so much that it's +5 spell damage can very rarely be use. Antodinas is a better option because it can be play at turn 7 and can combo on turn 8+.

For Thalnos, it's clearly one of the best legendary. It always give card advantage. It can be used as buff for spell because of it low cost. it's good in early game too.
Svenning

Unread postby Svenning Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:35 pm

yay! more hearthstone players!
I climbed my ass up to rank2 last season at my highest peak, but couldn't breach into legendary territory. Not giving up that easily!

Also started my US account (mainly play eu) and got lucky with a few legendaries, although they are pretty bad. (illidan + hogger). On eu I have almost every legendary.

Return to “Off Topic”