How-to quickly compare gear on Simcraft

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Curnivore

How-to quickly compare gear on Simcraft

Unread postby Curnivore Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:20 pm

A. Only the basics:

Step 1. Get Simcraft. Here is the download site. At the time of writing, the nightly build is considered the best choice.

Step 2. Get the Simcraft addon. Curse Page.

Step 3. /simc in game and paste it to simcraft

B. Step 3 In detail with Pictures:

a) Start simcraft software on the desktop

b) You can edit the global options but it's not required. The default options are very popular. 5min fight (300sec) on 1 Patchwerk on 10k iterations (iterations = how many times the simulator will pretend a fight is happening, the more they are the more reliable the results).

If you need something more special you can see what happens on 2 X Patchwerk or 4 with the "Num Enemies" option or instead of 10k iterations to target a low error that will automatically determine iterations with "Target Error". You can also add periodically spawning adds but that would need extra code in the profile mentioned next.

c) In the game run /simc. It will also bring up the artifact page. That is normal. It needs it to get data.

d) Copy paste what you see in a new tab into the Simulate tab of the Simcraft software

e) Now simply run the software with "Simulate!" at the bottom right

tada! you got results

C. In more detail:

To compare 2 items very quickly you can simply paste underneath the first mage actor you pasted a second one you got from /simc in-game after you had a equipped a new item. You can also (and should) rename the "mage=" name at the top for readability.

For example, I will see if a particular new 870 waist without socket beats a particular 845 with socket.

The profile page will look like this

A profile that basically represents two different mage actors hitting the same Patchwerk simultaneously in the same fight(s).

On the results page you can directly see a comparison on the top

The 870 waist won. But if the differences you get are small you could make sure they are not within the error margin by changing the iterations or the target error from the global options. You can see the results-error near the top of the results of a particular mage actor.

The way we pasted the second mage actor with the new waist right underneath the first mage isn't the most proper. But it was a quick way as the title suggests.

To do it more properly you can just copy the first mage actor and then edit only the line needed. Like this:

The results would be similar since the input is in practice identical. Be careful that if you do this, a 3rd mage actor added with the same method will retain the new waist, so you can simply use a "waist=" line again with the original waist, if that is desired.

There are methods to input arbirtary gear, methods to make more complex encounters, and many other things on simcraft but it's beyond the scope of this quick guide.

Update:

How to input gear from wowhead: https://www.altered-time.com/forum/view ... 371#p27285" target="_blank

How to quickly compare relics: https://www.altered-time.com/forum/view ... 371#p28371" target="_blank
Last edited by Curnivore on Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Frantik

Re: Quick and dirty guide for comparing gear on Simcraft

Unread postby Frantik Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks for the guide.
Question: When you are checking an item with a socket how can you add a crit gem in the sim on that item?

I tried using the id coping it from my other equipped gems specifically gem_id=130219 but it gives error when trying to run the sim
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Just add it to the end with a comma, e.g. wrist=,id=139196,bonus_id=1805/1808/1487,gem_id=130219 If you /simc after equipping it, it might not have a gem but adding it that way the sim will take it.
Tagain

Unread postby Tagain Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:35 am

You don't need to look for the gem id. All you have to do is tell SimC what gem you would like to use.
Looks like this:
shoulders=mantle_of_perpetual_bloom,id=139192,bonus_id=1805/1808/1487,gems=150crit

Also works for enchants:
back=gossamerspun_greatcloak,id=138221,bonus_id=1805/1808/1487,gems=150crit,enchant=200int
Frantik

Unread postby Frantik Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:02 pm

You don't need to look for the gem id. All you have to do is tell SimC what gem you would like to use.
Looks like this:
shoulders=mantle_of_perpetual_bloom,id=139192,bonus_id=1805/1808/1487,gems=150crit

Also works for enchants:
back=gossamerspun_greatcloak,id=138221,bonus_id=1805/1808/1487,gems=150crit,enchant=200int
This only works if you input from armory..i tried it.
When you use the ingame addon and copy its output to simc it uses the id...
I don't know why I got error the first time I did it, now it works properly
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:10 pm

It should be mentioned how to enter a wowhead item.

For instance I have this already in a Simulation script:

head=collar_of_enclosure,id=134424,bonus_id=1727/1517

I want to compare it for example against http://www.wowhead.com/item=134304/manawracker-crown that dropped in an 880 version.

I first find the page in wowhead and select an 880 version from the drop down menus that are found underneath the item basic info.

For instance now I see this on wowhead

The data I need is on the actual URL of the page that you can find at the top of a browser, in this instance:

www.wowhead.com/item=134304/manawracker-crown&bonus=1542:3410

I can simply take the "id" from the "item" of the URL and the "bonus_id" from the "bonus" of the URL.

Also I have to replace the ":"s with "/".

And the line actually needed for simcract becomes:

head=,id=134304,bonus_id=1542/3410
DisstortioNz

Unread postby DisstortioNz Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:50 am

whats the difference between this method and the one when you import the char with the action list and delete gear at the bottom then past/replace informations at the top with simc ?
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:27 pm

whats the difference between this method and the one when you import the char with the action list and delete gear at the bottom then past/replace informations at the top with simc ?
It might be best to not have an action list at all in the Simulation tab unless you know what you're doing and you want to edit it manually. This is because simcraft automatically creates an internal Action Priority List for the current items. A trinket might not be used for example properly if one uses an explicit priority list that was aimed for another item.
DisstortioNz

Unread postby DisstortioNz Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:00 pm

It might be best to not have an action list at all in the Simulation tab unless you know what you're doing and you want to edit it manually. This is because simcraft automatically creates an internal Action Priority List for the current items. A trinket might not be used for example properly if one uses an explicit priority list that was aimed for another item.

thats why i was simming lower with wriggling sinew :D
Curnivore

Re: How-to quickly compare gear on Simcraft

Unread postby Curnivore Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:18 pm

It should be mentioned how to quickly sim relics because it's a pain to do it properly with full ID and bonus IDs without messing up or spending a lot of time copy pasting IDs and bonus IDs.

Step 1: Remove the relic IDs from the artifact= line and replace them with 0s, e.g. it turns to artifact=54:0:0:0:0:748:1:[..]+whatever comes next

Step 2: Remove all the gem and relic IDs from main_hand and only add the total ilevel, e.g. it becomes like this main_hand=felomelorn,id=128820,ilevel=894

Step 3: Now, to compare Relics change BOTH the ilevel on main_hand= to the new one AND the artifact trait ranks on the artifact= line from 3 to 4 or any other number based on the IDs of the traits:

749: fireball cast time
751: pyroblast dmg
755: ignite dmg
752: fire crit dmg
750: fire blast dmg
754: fireball dmg
753: flamestrike dmg

756: cauterizing blink
757: molten armor

For instance pyroblast's "751:3" in the artifact line means you have the basic 3 ranks, if you turn it to 6 and keep all others at 3 it means you now run 3 pyroblast relics.
airfoxone

Unread postby airfoxone Fri May 07, 2021 11:45 am

Download their in-game addon and type "/simc", which will generate a code that describe your gear, artifact points and talent. Use that to simulate.
trickscage2

Unread postby trickscage2 Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:00 pm

Get Upto 90% Discount on Fastcomet Hosting and Enjoy cloud hosting with 99.9% uptime.
burekvid

Unread postby burekvid Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:34 pm

Download their in-game addon and type "/simc", which will generate a code that describe your gear, artifact points and talent. Use that to simulate.

Return to “General Discussion”