7.1.5 Arcane Mage Stats/Talents:

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Corpze

Unread postby Corpze Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Quick question for arcane mages using this forum. Due to the constant changes to the Arcane spec I am seeing a massive amount of fluctuation in gear choices (Secondary stat options mostly). Using simulation craft I have found that the soft cap for mastery is in the 30-%31% range for 890 arcane mages. In this bracket I am seeing that crit/vers (10-10.5 range) are ahead of mastery/haste (8-10 range) by a fair margin.

For raiding mythic content I'm trying to adjust my talents constantly and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this soft cap on mastery and additionally if anyone has any strategies based upon numbers which stat would be best to shovel points into. IE should I continue to shovel into mastery/crit. Or should I spread my points out after I've reached the simulation crafts "soft cap" on mastery.

Cheers,
Corpze
x1xruex1x

Re: 7.1.5 Arcane Mage Stats/Talents:

Unread postby x1xruex1x Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Quick question for arcane mages using this forum. Due to the constant changes to the Arcane spec I am seeing a massive amount of fluctuation in gear choices (Secondary stat options mostly). Using simulation craft I have found that the soft cap for mastery is in the 30-%31% range for 890 arcane mages. In this bracket I am seeing that crit/vers (10-10.5 range) are ahead of mastery/haste (8-10 range) by a fair margin.

For raiding mythic content I'm trying to adjust my talents constantly and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this soft cap on mastery and additionally if anyone has any strategies based upon numbers which stat would be best to shovel points into. IE should I continue to shovel into mastery/crit. Or should I spread my points out after I've reached the simulation crafts "soft cap" on mastery.

Cheers,
Corpze
@Corpze,

Hey there! Ok, so I don't have Mythic Raid experience (as long as it's been called Mythic since Siege of Orgrimmar). However, I can speak slightly to the mastery soft cap.

I have 2 gear sets, one is all about Crit > Haste > Mast > Vers, the other is all about focusing Mastery > Crit > Haste > Vers.

The Crit/haste one has me around 35 Crit, 20% Haste, 31% Mastery, 2% Vers roughly. Don't have em memorized :-P

The Mastery build has me in the mid 20's for Crit, maybe around 14/15% for Haste, 51+% for Mastery, and 2% Vers.

With all respects to how Mastery should be our key stat, I don't feel that is is anymore. So with regards to your statement, yea, about 30% mastery feels just right. I'd mostly focus on the Crit and Haste aspects though as they have more bearing on your output right now, given that mana and stack management is no longer a thing since Quickening's removal.

Hope this gives a bit of insight. If I come across any Mythic Arcane Mages, I'll send them to yourself for discussion.
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
Battle Tag: Rue#1731
Character: Felona
Realm: Llane
Faction: Alliance
Jhazz

Unread postby Jhazz Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Any question like this depends on which legendaries you have. Once we know that we can help with stat weights :)
x1xruex1x

Unread postby x1xruex1x Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Any question like this depends on which legendaries you have. Once we know that we can help with stat weights :)
@Jhazz,

Definitely agree with you there. albeit, I've noticed that even without any impactful legendaries, it doesn't seem to be built to handle a high amount of mastery. Prior to my kilt (which I'm not basing my findings on), I only had the Norgannon's boots, Sephuz's Secret, and Shard of the Exodar. 2 of which are not directly impactful in most if not all raid encounters, while the third (Shard) is impactful when actually utilized.

Through my general testing and experience, and after having read through a bulk of these threads. It just seems that having a 40% or higher mastery seems to be overkill almost. I haven't found any that go with a high mastery build.

Let me know what you think though. Overall, it just looks like a good mix is the best way to go while prioritizing crit/haste to level out.

:: shrugs :: :-P
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
Battle Tag: Rue#1731
Character: Felona
Realm: Llane
Faction: Alliance
timmywitt

Unread postby timmywitt Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:00 pm

This should depend drastically on talents and gearing.

Early, when you're mana starved, talents like Supernova, Nether Tempest, and Arcane Familiar are better because they utilize that GCD without blowing through a huge chunk of your mana.

Later, you may still use those talents, but the game revolves around balance. If your evocation comes off CD before you burn through your mana, you need more haste. If you run out of mana well before your evocation comes off CD, you may need more mastery, or more missile procs.

After you get the balance down, then the game becomes about cramming damage into that window. As mastery becomes less useful with 2 piece and 4 piece bonuses, things like crit and versatility take its place in priority with haste. If you have Metronome and Whispers trinkets you might favor mastery more. If you have bracers, 4 piece, and missile proc chance relics you probably favor crit and haste.

Late game I predict playstyle will be much more around cramming spells in. Rune of Power takes a GCD, so I imagine Incanter's Flow gets better at higher gear levels. Temporal Flux might see play if mastery gets devalued enough. Passive talents that don't require GCDs begin taking precedence in order to maximize damage per execute time abilities. You care much less about that chunk of mana, because it'll probably proc some missiles.

It's all about balance. That's how I see it.
Daer

Unread postby Daer Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:36 am

Hi guys, I started playing Arcane at 7.1.5 and I'm a bit lost about stat priority I simm this : https://simc.dyneslott.com/sims/daer/da ... 92418.html;" target="_blank I have Kilt and Trinket leg; and there is my armory (894 ilvl) http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/d ... aer/simple" target="_blank.
Can someone help me ? Its like if neither Arcane mage where building the same stat priority.
Sorry, my english is not perfect I hope you understand me .
Kythos

Unread postby Kythos Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi guys, I started playing Arcane at 7.1.5 and I'm a bit lost about stat priority I simm this : https://simc.dyneslott.com/sims/daer/da ... 92418.html;" target="_blank I have Kilt and Trinket leg; and there is my armory (894 ilvl) http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/d ... aer/simple" target="_blank.
Can someone help me ? Its like if neither Arcane mage where building the same stat priority.
Sorry, my english is not perfect I hope you understand me .
@Daer
you have some good gear!
31% haste with Unstable Magic and Overpowered?
IMO this is a place you can focus on.

unstable magic +31% haste + 4 peice T19 + temporal Flux = potential??

or try, Erosion and Overpowered.

Also 31% haste IMO maybe overkill... if you can swap ~10% haste into some VERSE/CRIT/MASTERY....

some TOP mage parses (like Deltoramasta) are evenly balanced around 7k rating for crit/haste/ hastery + ~2/3k rating for verse.

Mastery around 25/30% almost DOUBLES the damage per arcane charges (+18% vs +8% per charge) vs 10/15% mastery. this helps when you stack AMP, RoP ErSN, OverPowered.

I may be wrong, but this is just my 2 cents. Hope it helps!
pewpewpewpewpew!
Discord: FlowMage#8037
http://www.wowprogress.com/character/us/arthas/Kythos
Daer

Unread postby Daer Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:11 am

Thank you for your answer,
With my gear I can reach 37% haste but decreasing returns are too high, I actually try to low my haste and swap it into crit but I have not a lot of crit stuff. Atm I'm with 21% crit (crit food);31% haste; 25% mastery and 8% versa .
I dont think mastery have that much value with my Legs. I'm playing with Unstable Magic only on fights where I have to switch target as Telarn for exemple.
About top parse mage, I dont say that Deltoramasta is bad but I think that he takes huge risks on fight to be first, he dont switch target ... but mage is a fucking bad classe for progress, there is not a lot of mage, even less arcane ... I only know Obscurcium from FS and a russian from Exorsus. They have like 30% crit: 20-25 % haste; 20-25% mastery and they fill with versa. Intel seems to stay better than secondary stat so Ilvl > all ?

Return to “Arcane”