Guide to Thermally Voiding your Enemies in 7.2.5

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
qaiga

Re: Guide to Thermally Voiding your Enemies in 7.1.5

Unread postby qaiga Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:15 am

Just a question. During my rotation, there is a time where frozen orb is up while IV is about 20-30 seconds left on CD. Now, would it be right to wait for IV before casting FO so that there will be more IL's to throw away? Or just cast FO and don't wait for IV.
Emmeh

Unread postby Emmeh Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:58 am

Depends a lot on the fight in my opinion. There are some fights in which it's wise to save it for about 10 seconds. On a pure st fight I burn it on cd if IV got more than 20s. Also it depends on if it lines up with other cds as pot/second bl if ring etc
Don't trust anything that bleeds for one week and doesn't die.
thingy

Unread postby thingy Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:50 am

Main post has been updated with small changes as well as answers to some of the more common questions I've been seeing!
Venno

Unread postby Venno Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:08 am

Great work dude.
Makz

Unread postby Makz Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:30 am

I currently have Fire at 54(920) with all Fire DPS legendaries(no gloves) and man I am so happy to switch to TV Frost with only 40(907) artifact and no frost leges.

In raids it pulls solid 700k with no serious fuckups and in M+, OMG m+ is so amazing, orbing trash and shattering bolts equates to about 900k per pull and on boss(on fortified week). I did quite a few long and short dungeons around 12 to +16 and man I love it so much, only had trash DPS drop once as I am new to Frost and forget to maintain blizzard.

Gonna log some more in raids as Frost, but it feels so much better than Fire and I dont even have gloves/bracers. I would recommend TV frost to any Fire mage annoying with the current status of Fire.
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface
RonFreezley

Unread postby RonFreezley Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:54 am

Wow, I can't even begin to tell you how helpful this was. Really liked your video as well. Thanks so much!
Imaskar

Unread postby Imaskar Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:52 am

Sometimes I have up to 9 FBs in a row without FoF/BF proc and IV drops quickly. Is there a way to deal with it? Maybe BC,FT would be more profitable for my 897 ilvl?
thingy

Unread postby thingy Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm

If you're looking for maximum IV uptime on average then yeah BC and FT will give you more FoF procs than LW/SI thanks to water jet and slightly increased FoF generation. Sometimes a bit more uptime doesn't necessarily translate into the highest dps though, but you need to sim yourself to find out what's best for you. As always, frost suffers/benefits from RNG so your results might vary from pull to pull.
Miakel

Unread postby Miakel Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:06 am

I was playing GS for the last couple weeks mostly because my tier pieces and available items had my mastery at about 60%

I just looted Vashj's Grasp, which allowed me to replace Icetime with a tier pc and switched out my tier gloves, manages to keep the bonus(though really, I havent done much research into if/when breaking 4pc is viable with certain stats) So im initially going back TV in the hopes the glove legendary bonus is a decent one in my upcoming sims

I think right now whats hurting me is I never get relics to drop. and my lack of haste, any pointers?
Emmeh

Unread postby Emmeh Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Well. Right now because of the stupid mastery on all Tier pieces I never even think of 4p. I'd try to get helmet from trillax. Neck from scorp. Chest and ring from odyn hc. That way you should gain a quite good amount of haste and not dropping crit below shatter cap. I use the Tier shoulders and legs the rest are offpieces.

Relic wise I'd try get nythendra hc/my done. But yeah it's hard to get the right traits with a decent ilvl.
Don't trust anything that bleeds for one week and doesn't die.
Aggrokalle

Unread postby Aggrokalle Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:59 pm

got an 890 frost relic with let it go and a 900 with clarity... got the 900 equiped, but i tend to downgrade to the 890, cause i rly miss my old let it go relic...
Arandomperson

Unread postby Arandomperson Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:16 pm

honestly 4piece is worth it. I lose perfect stats on head and shoulder and lose a combined 20 ilvls + 1 socket and its still a dps increase for me. I have leg gloves so I use back head shoulder pants
frtommy

Unread postby frtommy Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello,
I have a question guys.
I am using raidbots to calculate my PAWN string. Now i have 25.58% crit and 23.16% haste.
Should i remove some haste ( sockets,some haste/crit ) to get more Crit ( Crit/haste or crit/x ) and reach 33,34% crit ?
But if i should....how low can i go with haste ? Example not lower then 20% haste ?

Or i should trust about pawn string and stay with the actual stats.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/p ... n/advanced" target="_blank

Thank you.
Flaszka

Unread postby Flaszka Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:06 pm

I'm gonna try this build up, but anyone has idea how frost will perform in 7.2? Right now I main fire with 54 traits, 893 eq ilvl, 36 traits on frost.
House

Unread postby House Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:58 am

I was in a similar position Flaszka as a main fire transitioned to frost. I had 54 fire with fire wrists and shard and I was simming higher ST with 36 traits in frost..... I'm now full frost and it performs Significantly better (Ålissa - Frostmourne) for some fire to frost comparison logs if you're interested.
doogler

Unread postby doogler Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:06 pm

I have been healing for a while but I just joined a new heroic raid and they wanted my frost mage. Gear is still all over the place, though I did get incredibly lucky with my legendaries, gloves and ring. Have a couple specific questions and would love any general advice. My gear is still all over the place as I was not putting much thought into the character until this week.

1) After I cast water jet if a brain freeze procs what do I do?

2) My biggest issue, which I am getting better at as I get used to frost, is fuckups due to mashing buttons during procs and casting extra spells that I do not want. When I have 3 FoF charges and I have lust and icy veins going I often end up casting a 4th unintended ice lance. Less often, but still occasionally, I find myself hard casting a flurry. Other than L2P, is there anything to focus on?
Cames

Unread postby Cames Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:46 pm

1) After I cast water jet if a brain freeze procs what do I do?

Your question is - Hey I might eat a BF proc by continuing to cast Frostbolt to generate Fingers of Frost Procs right? If it were me, I would cast a Frostbolt and immediately cast Flurry...i.e. pre-cast it. If you do that, you will not eat a BF proc. You will end up with a second one. By the way, this allows you to precast Frostbolts even if you get a BF proc. That way you get at least 1 FoF proc. You will get another WJ in 25 seconds anyway, so its not the end of the world.

2) Button Mashing...

Yeah, it is one of those things that over time gets better and better as you get used to the spec. Arcane has the least amount of reaction to procs. Fire has the most. Frost is in the middle (imho), because you get a chance to react almost all the time even if you mess up. I occasionally double clutch on Flurry and just jump. The Ice Lance thing is harder as you will get procs from FO at what looks like a random rate. I try to leave 1 FoF proc when I am in a Frozen Orb spamming me FoFs so I have to clear them zone. That gives me room for other procs and a chance to switch to something and be less likely at over casting Ice Lance. Am I perfect...no.
Eyliria

Re: Guide to Thermally Voiding your Enemies in 7.2

Unread postby Eyliria Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:10 am

I feel like I just dont get this spec. At all.

I can't get super long Icy Veins uptime at all. Unless I have heroism up, and I abuse double IL (which will be fixed).
As soon as heroism drops, IV will drop shortly after.

I don't have gloves. And I am playing Lonely Winter.

Numbers don't feel awful though, but there's some IL abuse. 800k+

Are the gloves really that massive of a boost on IV?
Mage

Unread postby Mage Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:50 am

You don't have gloves.
You don't double IL.
You don't play water jet.
You probably also play splitting ice.

And you are wondering why you don't get super high IV uptimes?
Eyliria

Unread postby Eyliria Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:22 am

You don't have gloves.
You don't double IL.
You don't play water jet.
You probably also play splitting ice.

And you are wondering why you don't get super high IV uptimes?
Is the high IV uptime something I'm hung up on, and not really necessary?
I am double ILing.

I see Lonely Winter at the top of the talent list for just about everything once you get over the 900ish range.

Return to “Frost”