Missing shatters

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
hokgajin

Missing shatters

Unread postby hokgajin Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi,

I've been looking at my own logs and noticed that my largest problem is missing quite a few shatters during fights. The reason being that there's a short delay you cannot cast IL after FL (gcd) .. So when I spam IL after FL even if i click it a few times I still miss it sometimes.

It seems a bit annoying to have to look at the FL gcd animation to wait for it to finish and then to cast IL .. Wanted to ask you how you make sure that you don't miss any shatters. Maybe there's some trick or UI thingy that would be helpful.

Thank you
icetea666

Re: Missing shatters

Unread postby icetea666 Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:47 pm

You have either high ms or just slow reaction.While flurry is casting,you spam press your bind for ice lance.That's it...
Doti

Unread postby Doti Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:05 am

This happens to me sometimes as well. I downloaded the addon TrufiGCD to make sure they're going through okay.
Yllasera

Unread postby Yllasera Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Same problem here. I've just been digging the logs to check this. I've learned that almost all of my hardcast+Flurry combos fail :o
If I check the frostbolt end times and flurries here it's shown clearly: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/xg ... w=timeline I'm using Quartz castbar to track latency btw.
Yet this other mage seems to be able to time them perfectly, to .001 precision:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Xq ... w=timeline

How is this possible...?
TheGreyPaladin

Unread postby TheGreyPaladin Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:14 pm

Yep - this is the same as my post last month - same thing. VERY annoying.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3548&start=320
killtrick

Unread postby killtrick Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:01 pm

You have either high ms or just slow reaction.While flurry is casting,you spam press your bind for ice lance.That's it...
In what scenario would you be "casting" flurry?

Anyway, I also have the same problem. From the moment I cast my Flurry proc....I'll start spamming my IL keybind until I see my character shoot one off. Shoot sometimes I'll send another IL off JUST to be sure(ik, dumb) but I'm still somehow not casting enough IL's.

There's gotta be a WeakAura or something to fix this problem.
Flare

Unread postby Flare Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:17 pm

I think the opposite of what has been guessed is most likely true - you don't react too late but try to trigger the ice lance after flurry too early. Otherwise you would see ice lances being cast without winter's chill still being present instead of ice lance not going off at all.

If you have a fingers of frost proc you cast another frost bolt and as soon as the cast starts probably start hitting the ice lance button for most of the frostbolt casts duration, which makes the lance go off right after the frostbolt.

That works because the start of the frostbolt cast triggers the global cooldown, so at the time the cast is half through you can already queue up the ice lance cast.

If you follow up on an instant cast however that doesn't work.

Having the above example in mind, if you cast instant flurry (which once again triggers the GCD) you have to wait a bit before the next cast is registered properly - if you have a gcd of around 1.2 seconds and the default 0.4 ms lag tolerance and you simply press the ice lance button 2-3 times right away after flurry you are probably still within the first 0.8 sec of flurry's gcd and actually stop hitting the ice lance button too early (before you hit the 0.8 mark which moves you inside the lag tolerance window where your key press is queued up again).

You have to force yourself to actually wait a bit after flurry despite the fact (or to be precise actually because of) you follow up on an instant cast. You might wanna do stuff like move left and right (hit your left and right key once each) after your flurry and before your ice lance. That usually covers the gap between the flurry gcd trigger and the lag tolerance window. This is a reason why I would not suggest to lower the lag tolerance much independent of your actual ping, since you effectively lower the window between the flurry gcd and the end of gcd you are able to properly hit your ice lance in.

I would suggest you load yourself either a weakaura that tracks your last cast till you are used to the rhythm or an addon that tracks (and visualizes) your casts (think details supports that alternatively look for TrufiGCD ).
durrtygoodz

Unread postby durrtygoodz Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi,

I've been looking at my own logs and noticed that my largest problem is missing quite a few shatters during fights. The reason being that there's a short delay you cannot cast IL after FL (gcd) .. So when I spam IL after FL even if i click it a few times I still miss it sometimes.

It seems a bit annoying to have to look at the FL gcd animation to wait for it to finish and then to cast IL .. Wanted to ask you how you make sure that you don't miss any shatters. Maybe there's some trick or UI thingy that would be helpful.

Maybe your problem is that you click. You should use your keyboard and not have to look at your bars at all.

Anyway, I also have the same problem. From the moment I cast my Flurry proc....I'll start spamming my IL keybind until I see my character shoot one off. Shoot sometimes I'll send another IL off JUST to be sure(ik, dumb) but I'm still somehow not casting enough IL's.
Sorry what do you mean by you're not casting "enough" ice lances? There's no set number of casts you're supposed to reach in a fight. You cast ice lance with FoF buff or you cast it immediately following an instant cast flurry. At any other time your ice lance isn't getting the dmg or crit bonus, It's no wonder you have so many unshattered ice lance if you're playing like this.
DiabolisCZ

Unread postby DiabolisCZ Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:43 pm

I had (and sometimes still have) the same problem (missing IL after flurry). I think it's one of bad habits of caster to "mash buttons" as first think most of us learnt was "always be casting".

Solution is in learning the rhythm of your casts and GCD. Start on dummy and watch closely GCD on your bar (I use Elvui, but I think its on standard blizz UI too?). Try timing your IL at the end of GCD. The point here is not to button mash but cast the IL only once at correct time. Than you move to actual raid environment - Varimathras is perfect for this training. Training and muscle memory is the solution.

I would also suggest watching Preach's video on movement, you will find out you can move pretty far during flurry + IL combo.
Srig

Unread postby Srig Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:06 pm

I discovered missing IL crits a while back and had to retrain my fingers to wait for the GCD from the flurry. was hitting IL too quickly.
it's a thing.
hokgajin

Unread postby hokgajin Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Yea. I've been watching the GCD and fire the IL just before it ends by tapping the IL only once. It seems to work better for me, I miss a lot less shatters but it is slightly annoying have to keep track of a gcd constantly. I guess over some time you learn it as muscle memory.

Return to “Frost”