[BFA 8.1] Frost Mage M+ Guide

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Lorin

Re: [7.3.0] Frost Mage M+ Guide

Unread postby Lorin Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 am

Sorry guys a question: do you have a link for downloading Elvui?
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Sorry guys a question: do you have a link for downloading Elvui?
Just google Elvui. One of the first links should take you to the downloads page.
Veígar

Unread postby Veígar Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 am

I'm 932 equipped with my DPS set, 934 with Prydaz/Belovir.
I had issues with Tyrannical Hyrja on a +15 HoV killing me with Arcing Bolt right after Eye of the Storm, is there a way around this? I seem to have to ice block at the end of Eye of the Storm just to survive (I've tried blinking away from my group at the end of the cast but still died). I even tried equipping Belovirs and Prydaz, but I was using it to mitigate the damage that came in during Eye of the Storm instead of letting my healer heal me, then shield when eye ended and I got hit by Arcing Bolt, so that was my mistake.

Also, the Felblaze Rush on Skovald, do I just have to time my blinks perfectly? I use Prydaz and Belovir in case I screw up or miss it so I don't get one shot.

Is there any place where I can read about specific dungeon strategies or whatever that covers special tips in pushing high keys? I seem to also struggle with Maw of Souls. In particular, I have issues with:
1. Purple AoE one of the adds does in the ship does tons of unavoidable damage
2. The Cosmic Scythe is really really hard to see/hard to dodge. I understand I want to be watching the cast/moving/treat it like Avalanche in Nelth's lair, but sometimes I walk into it just because I can't really see it. I usually use a top down camera view, zoomed all the way out.
3. Also, do we generally want to stack for the second boss to keep the purple pools closer together or?
nirdana

Unread postby nirdana Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:41 pm

ad 1) if you mean the mariner aoe, you can eqip your prydaz belovir for the mariner and heal through it by yourself. But use is only if you healer wont be able to sustain you all. You still want to kill mariner before second aoe if possible.
ad 2) watch the boss where he faces, it is easier to where he faces than the small swirlies on the ground
ad 3) you stack not because of pools but cause the spawns (caster and fragments) you want to have them on the boss so melee can easily burst them down

To skovald the further you are the longer time you have to react with your shimmer when he casts felrush on yo

Hyrja, your healer should be able to heal through storm, use your defensives for the arcing bolt that comes right after the storm. (if needed)
Veígar

Unread postby Veígar Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:25 am

ad 1) if you mean the mariner aoe, you can eqip your prydaz belovir for the mariner and heal through it by yourself. But use is only if you healer wont be able to sustain you all. You still want to kill mariner before second aoe if possible.
ad 2) watch the boss where he faces, it is easier to where he faces than the small swirlies on the ground
ad 3) you stack not because of pools but cause the spawns (caster and fragments) you want to have them on the boss so melee can easily burst them down

To skovald the further you are the longer time you have to react with your shimmer when he casts felrush on yo

Hyrja, your healer should be able to heal through storm, use your defensives for the arcing bolt that comes right after the storm. (if needed)
1. It sometimes gets really close and I get antsy of the damage, or sometimes the healer can't keep us up/doesn't have a healing cd.
2. There's swirlies on the ground too? I always looked at the scythe in the air, or tried to.

Okay, so Skovald's pretty much a don't mess up ever kinda thing. Got it.

As for Hyrja, I had a resto druid healer, and I wasn't topped off at the end of Eye, so a 3.4m Arcing bolt kills me. One time, I got killed by an Arcing bolt, then I got ressed only to get killed again by an Arcing bolt. I'm not getting hit by any other mechanics. So these deaths are simply a healer issue?
Makz

Unread postby Makz Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:22 pm

-snip-
1. It sometimes gets really close and I get antsy of the damage, or sometimes the healer can't keep us up/doesn't have a healing cd.
2. There's swirlies on the ground too? I always looked at the scythe in the air, or tried to.

As for Hyrja, I had a resto druid healer, and I wasn't topped off at the end of Eye, so a 3.4m Arcing bolt kills me. One time, I got killed by an Arcing bolt, then I got ressed only to get killed again by an Arcing bolt. I'm not getting hit by any other mechanics. So these deaths are simply a healer issue?
If you are Fire, you can make good use of your blinks to help your healer without you dying. Also, healer not having CD for Mariner? Bad cd management.

In MoS, you should always be close to the boss so the adds/channel happen there. On Tyrannical there is only 1 bad overlap where you get channel and axes at the same time, but this only happens in +17 and above I believe. Common mistake people make on it is they dont realize the first axe he summons actually splashes half of his hitbox, so you want to be close, but not too close.

Skovald and Fenrir and Fenrir puppies - you should be blinking the jumps each time as there is no reason not to do so. Practice it.

On Hyrja after storm just blink out to make sure you dont chain the lightning. Additionally, you can save barrier since as Frost its about 1 mil absorb. If your healer is having problems keeping everyone at least nearly topped after storm ends he is probably mismanaging his CDs. Also, the lightning is not instant cast - you can block it.

Last but not least - healing potions do not share CD with DPS pot. Use them.
Streaming Keys RIP Altered-time forum interface
Veígar

Unread postby Veígar Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 pm

-snip-

If you are Fire, you can make good use of your blinks to help your healer without you dying. Also, healer not having CD for Mariner? Bad cd management.

In MoS, you should always be close to the boss so the adds/channel happen there. On Tyrannical there is only 1 bad overlap where you get channel and axes at the same time, but this only happens in +17 and above I believe. Common mistake people make on it is they dont realize the first axe he summons actually splashes half of his hitbox, so you want to be close, but not too close.

Skovald and Fenrir and Fenrir puppies - you should be blinking the jumps each time as there is no reason not to do so. Practice it.

On Hyrja after storm just blink out to make sure you dont chain the lightning. Additionally, you can save barrier since as Frost its about 1 mil absorb. If your healer is having problems keeping everyone at least nearly topped after storm ends he is probably mismanaging his CDs. Also, the lightning is not instant cast - you can block it.

I'm frost.

I don't know when the wolves/cats in DHT will cast their leap, is there a timer or something I'm missing? I also wasn't completely sure if it was avoidable with shimmer. It'll take a lot of practice cause they leap fast/there's not much room to shimmer sometimes. I wouldn't want to pull another pack just to avoid the damage. Skovald isn't bad because he has a very visible castbar.

Yeah I did blink out on Hyrja, and I keep barrier up. My teammates didn't die, but it was 2 DH's.
Herus

Unread postby Herus Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm frost.

I don't know when the wolves/cats in DHT will cast their leap, is there a timer or something I'm missing? I also wasn't completely sure if it was avoidable with shimmer. It'll take a lot of practice cause they leap fast/there's not much room to shimmer sometimes. I wouldn't want to pull another pack just to avoid the damage. Skovald isn't bad because he has a very visible castbar.

Yeah I did blink out on Hyrja, and I keep barrier up. My teammates didn't die, but it was 2 DH's.

Stuff like the cats in DHT or wolves in HOV aren't tracked through a timer, it just comes down to knowing how often they leap. Just takes time and repetition. It also helps by being further away from them, as it gives you time to react to the leap.
Veígar

Unread postby Veígar Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:20 pm

--Snip--

Stuff like the cats in DHT or wolves in HOV aren't tracked through a timer, it just comes down to knowing how often they leap. Just takes time and repetition. It also helps by being further away from them, as it gives you time to react to the leap.
Yeah I still need practice/experience. HoV has space, MoS and DHT don't really have much. I usually equip my Belovir/Prydaz set for it, but if I get hit by multiple adds I'll still die. A lot of M+ is about experience and picking up on tricks here and there. I hit 2.5k Wowprog and 3k raider yesterday. I started taking RoF cause I never know if someone is going to miss a stun or have it on CD when it's really needed, I feel like the utility is higher when used properly than frigid winds.

Something that might help others: Shimmer can dodge root mechanics (Adds before last boss in EoA, or avoiding Jailer cage damage in VotW. Not sure how important this is but avoidance gear also helps mitigate damage (up to 20%). I didn't know it existed at all until I was told about it. Would make people look twice at that avoidance gear they're vendoring. Might be basic info but it's important in high keys.

As a personal preference, I use Tehr's raid cds, shows a bunch of party CDs (can easily customize what shows) instead of just interrupts.
https://wago.io/RaidCDs

I also use bdNamePlates:
https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/bdnameplates
Simplistic, lightweight, colors explosive orb nameplates in pink, shows add cc/duration over their heads. I've tried Tidy and KUI nameplates before but I like bd way better. I never got into using Elvui.
Thesweed

Re: [7.3.2] Frost Mage M+ Guide

Unread postby Thesweed Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:45 am

Hello!

I have a question about some simming results, when i sim for 5 targets, with my gear the shard of the exodar keeps topping the soul of the archmage by a longshot. is it because I am simming wrong or is that normal?

here are my simming results from raidbots: https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/ ... WdcTYoaPUT
Veígar

Unread postby Veígar Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:10 am

Hello!

I have a question about some simming results, when i sim for 5 targets, with my gear the shard of the exodar keeps topping the soul of the archmage by a longshot. is it because I am simming wrong or is that normal?

here are my simming results from raidbots: https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/ ... WdcTYoaPUT
Just a guess but Shard of the Exodar gives a lot more crit, so you probably are farther away from crit cap if you use Soul of the Archmage. You'd need supplemental gear to balance your stats.
Thesweed

Unread postby Thesweed Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 am

Hello!

Just a guess but Shard of the Exodar gives a lot more crit, so you probably are farther away from crit cap if you use Soul of the Archmage. You'd need supplemental gear to balance your stats.
Thnx for the answer,

I looked into my stats and It wasn't the crit but the versatility, with equipping the soul of the archmage I lost around 4% vers.
Truetheman

Unread postby Truetheman Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Hello!

I don't know if u did it on purpose, but you simmed with Blood lust / Time warp. Ofc shard >>> archmage in this case.
Chulk904

Re: [7.3.5] Frost Mage M+ Guide

Unread postby Chulk904 Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Ok from my reading of this guide would the following rotation be a rough interpretation of it.

-open with FB,IV
-Ebonbolt
-Flurry
-FB as a filler until FoF proc or BF proc then use immediately
Frozen orb/Blizzard on CD
Herus

Unread postby Herus Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:43 am

Ok from my reading of this guide would the following rotation be a rough interpretation of it.

-open with FB,IV
-Ebonbolt
-Flurry
-FB as a filler until FoF proc or BF proc then use immediately
Frozen orb/Blizzard on CD
Ebonbolt should always be your precast not Frostbolt. The only difference with AoE is that you would prioritize Blizzard and Frozen Orb over Frostbolt.
Veígar

Unread postby Veígar Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:51 am

@Herux, how do you make your WA appear all the time instead of triggering when an attackable target is selected?
Edit: Figured it out. Just have to delete trigger 2 on all the auras.
Dagolar

Re: [BFA 8.0] Frost Mage M+ Guide

Unread postby Dagolar Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:21 pm

great guide

One question about stats. When using simcraft which type of bossfight and how long fight would you use to simulate mythic+ environment? Or do you try more profiles and than average? If yes, please which?
Garatefes

Unread postby Garatefes Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:05 pm

I look forward to the "Per dungeon talent" section

Thx for your job
Herus

Unread postby Herus Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:30 am

great guide

One question about stats. When using simcraft which type of bossfight and how long fight would you use to simulate mythic+ environment? Or do you try more profiles and than average? If yes, please which?
I don't have anything special setup for m+. Just using patchwerk sims and a bit of common sense to know that its not a 100% recreation of a m+ environment.
Gokex

Unread postby Gokex Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:01 pm

great guide

Have to run a few sims for M+ especially since trash is often harder than the bosses.. try a 3 and a 5 or 6 boss 1-2 minute fight (trash packs), sim a boss for a 1-2 minute fight.. kinda average it around in your head and find what feels right

Return to “Frost”