Arcane Mage rotation and DPS questions

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Ganlren

Arcane Mage rotation and DPS questions

Unread postby Ganlren Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:52 am

I am currently doing heroic and normal raiding in Uldir on my Arcane mage. I know that some fights we have to do things like soak pools or move damage abilities from a raid and that can hurt DPS. This post is more pointed on situational rotation and lower than expected DPS.

Here is my Raidbots Sim: https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/ ... MX5E6XrB1f

1) When I enter burn phases I do the following: Charged up, activate T'zane trink, Arcane Power, and then crazy spam arcane blast till I run out of mana. I then evocate and and spam arcane blast and use missles and try to stay at about 50% mana. My question is this, am I doing this correctly? I seem to fluctuate wildly between 10k and sometimes 13k. Wowanalyzer says my cooldown and mana management are shit. (I am of course pre-potting when available)

2) Any suggestions on how to maintain strong DPS when I am forced to do mechanics for bosses? Also, is it worth sitting on cooldowns for phases are going all in whenever it is available?

3) Wowanalyzer is overly critical of me when it comes to managing mana? I do not know if it is accurate. I am not certain it understands the play style of Arcane mages? It says I am always in the 20% to 30% for mana.

Thank you in advance for the input.
Laodi

Re: Arcane Mage rotation and DPS questions

Unread postby Laodi Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:41 am

First of all it would have been better to post logs than to post raidbots. :)
1.)Here is a log of yours.
Looking first at Devourer:
Mana: U started with a burn which is correct. U didn't go to <10% mana and u didn't evo at the end.
Conserve seems good for IF.
Second burn starts a little late. Burn ending with evo but evo didnt get u back to near 100%.
Second Conserve is good, Third burn again a little late and not really synced with BL. Again no Evo at the end.
So far for mana.
CDs: Charged up is used way to rare. U could use a Charged up before and after every burn. Evo to 90-95%->Barrage->Charged Up->2-3 ABs to get u at around 60-70% mana (or any manavalue that u feel safe to hover at)->ABarr->Conserve
So CU is rdy when your next AP is rdy and u can use it to start burn (Conserve->ABarr->CU->Burn)
The bigger Problem i see in this particular fight is your movement.
You have Shimmer skilled. After the kick which kicks you way to far away (which is a problem for itself as there are many walls to stop the kick) you just run back for 5 sec doing nothing. When the kick occurs you press shimmer/blink midair and go on casting. Uptime is allways the biggest DPS-Increase. So fix your movement.

2.) Shimmer/Shimmer/Displacement/IB gets you through 80% of the normal mechanis u have to do. Some Mechanics are hurting your DPS more than others. There is no golden rule/way. Every Raidgroups assign different tasks to different people. U then have to plan your movementcds to what u have to do.

3.) Analyzer goes for RoP where u do a miniburn after the real burn with RoP which brings u down to 20-40% mana at which u stay for ur conserve phase. As long as u dont overcap mana u are fine.
Ganlren

Unread postby Ganlren Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:03 pm

First of all it would have been better to post logs than to post raidbots. :)
1.)Here is a log of yours.
Looking first at Devourer:
Mana: U started with a burn which is correct. U didn't go to <10% mana and u didn't evo at the end.
Conserve seems good for IF.
Second burn starts a little late. Burn ending with evo but evo didnt get u back to near 100%.
Second Conserve is good, Third burn again a little late and not really synced with BL. Again no Evo at the end.
So far for mana.
CDs: Charged up is used way to rare. U could use a Charged up before and after every burn. Evo to 90-95%->Barrage->Charged Up->2-3 ABs to get u at around 60-70% mana (or any manavalue that u feel safe to hover at)->ABarr->Conserve
So CU is rdy when your next AP is rdy and u can use it to start burn (Conserve->ABarr->CU->Burn)
The bigger Problem i see in this particular fight is your movement.
You have Shimmer skilled. After the kick which kicks you way to far away (which is a problem for itself as there are many walls to stop the kick) you just run back for 5 sec doing nothing. When the kick occurs you press shimmer/blink midair and go on casting. Uptime is allways the biggest DPS-Increase. So fix your movement.

2.) Shimmer/Shimmer/Displacement/IB gets you through 80% of the normal mechanis u have to do. Some Mechanics are hurting your DPS more than others. There is no golden rule/way. Every Raidgroups assign different tasks to different people. U then have to plan your movementcds to what u have to do.

3.) Analyzer goes for RoP where u do a miniburn after the real burn with RoP which brings u down to 20-40% mana at which u stay for ur conserve phase. As long as u dont overcap mana u are fine.

Thank you for the input. I will try to use shimmer more often. The using charged up outside of like set up burn phases feels weird but I will try.
jeffrybungle

Unread postby jeffrybungle Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:37 pm

4 charged Arcane Barrage hits hard. AB -> CU is a dps gain. Use it on cooldown or for add spawns.
Brutallus

Unread postby Brutallus Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Why would you use a charged up right after a barrage clear like that? Seems like you would just start casting the ABs instead of clearing and save yourself some GCDs.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:04 am

Why would you use a charged up right after a barrage clear like that? Seems like you would just start casting the ABs instead of clearing and save yourself some GCDs.
Because Abarr->CU->AB->Abarr is mana positive and does a ton of damage. This allows you to regen quite a bit of mana while still doing the damage -> you can hover at a lower mana% before going into conserve.
Shixin

Unread postby Shixin Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Okay, so after reading this thread, I'm a little confused...here's what I'm taking away from this:

Opening/Full Burns: CU/PoM/AP/trink - mash the shit out of AB until all mana is gone->AM->ABarr->Evo. Then,
Mini-burn: CU->AB to 30% mana->AM (if proc'd)->ABarr. Then
Conserve (at 20-30% mana): ABx4->AM (if proc'd)->ABarr.

and by this time, all cd's should be ready to launch into Full Burn again, except your Evo won't be back up for probably another 30 sec, so you should wait 15-20 more seconds to pop CDs and start your burn phase...

Right?
Deckzor

Unread postby Deckzor Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Opening/Full Burns: CU/PoM/AP/trink - mash the shit out of AB until all mana is gone->AM->ABarr->Evo. Then,
Mini-burn: CU->AB to 30% mana->AM (if proc'd)->ABarr. Then
Conserve (at 20-30% mana): ABx4->AM (if proc'd)->ABarr.

no Abarr before Evo because u wanna start with 4 Stacks AB at full mana.

and the 20-30% is relative. Just watch your Trinket Weapon procs... If all procs u use that time Frame and go down to 30% but otherwise just Barrage at 60-70% and fish for some dmg procs for some extra ABs to use that extra Mana

and also dont PoM at the beginning of burn Phase like previous expansions. Use it to squeeze 1-2 Extra Abs at the end of your AP

But the rest more or less like what u said

Return to “Arcane”