Heating Up Trick with Hard Cast Pyro

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Hyperdiaper

Heating Up Trick with Hard Cast Pyro

Unread postby Hyperdiaper Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:50 am

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but sometimes when hard casting pyro then using fireblast to gain a hot streak. Both pyros at the end sometimes do not benefit from the heating up trick.

The reason I can confirm this is because I notice heating up pop up then disappear. It would be safe to assume that ths is because hot streak pyro has hit at too large of a delay for it to benefit from heating up trick.

Not sure if this is to do with ping? But I have noticed it is harder when I que into LFR and a server which isnt oceanic(where i play).

Has anyone else come across this, and any potential countermeasures?
Tried lag tolerance, didnt seem to help much.
Muffelmage

Re: Heating Up Trick with Hard Cast Pyro

Unread postby Muffelmage Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 am

Not sure if I got u correctly but it sounds for me that the pyro simply hits after the fireblast (due to traveltime differences) and munches your heating up proc in cases where pyro is not critting.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Just make sure you FB at - 2 seconds or more. if it's under 1 second and your FB isin't off cd yet just cast another fireball.
ezekielyo

Unread postby ezekielyo Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:14 pm

From the reddit thread:

[quote=Hyperdiaper]what i mean by heating up trick is when u fireball right into hotstreak pyro, if any 1 of them crits u are rewarded with a heating up back because both the fireball and pyro count as hitting the target at the same time.[/quote]

[quote=PuffyKid]Fire mages have like a .2 sec window where if one spell crits and one does not, our procs disregard the non crit spell. It's pretty fundimental to our rotation to do this. Ie we cast fireball and our instant pyro, if both crit we get another instant pyro and if one of the two hit we heat up.[/quote]

All of the below examples ignored the non-crit and grant a heating up proc

Crit Fireball + pyro with the Fireball hitting first
ImageImage

Fireball + Crit pyro with Fireball hitting first

Hardcast pyro + Crit with the hardcast hitting first.

This log shows that both the hardcast and the Hotstreak both crit generating another Hotstreak

This log shows that only one spell crit but I still get a heating up proc.

If the window is truly .2 seconds then any sort of ping spike would cause you to miss it. Constant ms wouldn't cause this issue provided your lag tolerance isn't set to super super low and you are just missing the timing altogether. Is it safe to say that your connection is unstable (fluctuating ms instead of steady) at times?
Hyperdiaper

Unread postby Hyperdiaper Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:49 am

@ezkielyo, thanks for the extensive time you've put into checking this out. I think I may have found a fix, for both high and low ping players. Or just make it easier for everyone and not have to mash pyro at the end of hard cast.

My usual ping is around 125ms, and during my LFR I set it to 209 cause I was connected to a American server. After returning back to my normal ping, oddly enough I found that I was able to pull it off. I think lag tolerance is to do with the time window the game allows you to que up the next spell? If that is indeed true even low ping players can simply set their lag tolerance slightly higher in order to pull this off consistently. Without having to spam the pyro button close to the end of the hard cast pyro.

[quote=PuffyKid]Fire mages have like a .2 sec window where if one spell crits and one does not, our procs disregard the non crit spell. It's pretty fundimental to our rotation to do this. Ie we cast fireball and our instant pyro, if both crit we get another instant pyro and if one of the two hit we heat up.[/quote]
Not sure if it actually is 0.2 seconds, but there seems to definitely be a time delay window to account for players with higher ping.

Return to “Fire”